Most memorable sports event?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Sandaun

Most memorable sports event?

Post by Sandaun » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 am

For me it was our goalie during the feis hurling match between Christchurch and Wellington in 1994, scoring the first goal of the match by hitting the ball 4back into play after making a save. The hurling field is as long as the soccer field, and he was standing in his goal square when he hit it back into play, and it scored our first goal of the match, going in the opposition goal at the other end. Wellington were stunned!
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

wchymeus

Re: Most memorable sports event?

Post by wchymeus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:11 am

Michael Chang's game against Lendl: underhand first service toward the end of the match while battling with cramps and barely able to move. Lendl's face and angst... the most memorable event I saw (well Agassi against Baghdatis is also a memorable classic1)
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

doug

Post by doug » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 am

The day I ALMOST beat this amazing kid throwing the shot put. I played football and was on the track team in high school. For my size, 5'8" and 190 lbs., I was surprisingly quick. On the track team, I threw the shot put. There were four of us who did at my high school. I was not the biggest, but I was the best at it. When we would go to regional track meets, I always came in second, behind this HUGE kid from Jacksonville, where Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base is located. He was not only big, he was strong. He KNEW he was strong! ....and he was arrogant about it. Every time he and I would compete, he would beat me by just a few inches, and he would always say some derogatory remark to me. We both threw in the mid-50 foot range.....nothing record-setting, but he and I were consistently the two best in our region. We were at a regional meet being held at East Carolina University, and things just seemed to 'clic' with me??? I threw the longest I had ever thrown.....61' !!! I felt a rush of pride when I stepped out of the circle. I KNEW I was going to beat him that day!!! I'd never seen him throw that long. ....but he did. ....plus about 4 inches.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:10 am

I have only attended one professional boxing match but it was a good one. George Foreman beat Michael Moorer to win the Heavyweight Championship at age 48. The fight was in Las Vegas at the MGM Grande. The thing that sticks in my mind the most from the event was the noise the crowd made when George put Michael down. To this day, I have never heard anything that approaches the volume of that sound. Had to cover my ears and it still hurt.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:23 pm

1989 exhibition game... San Francisco Giants, VS the A's...only game I ever went to...us kids got to try to get autographs from the players, the umpire encouraged us all to wait single file...But the kid's who shoved...they got autographs. My brother got one, I didn't.

The 89 earthquake happened, and of course the A's went on to win the series.

Oh and my uncle in a last minute, couldn't find anybody to go to him for the NFL playoff...yes that guy Kaepernick...he lost. I guess it's neat knowing I saw the last game at Candlestick with the terrible 49ers team.

What amazed me was the cost...400$ a ticket...and it's like...well that's a lot of guitar strings and beer :)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:05 am

The A's were going to win that series anyway. I never bet, but I'd been watching that A's team all season. I had a buddy who lived in S.F. He just bet out of pride. I wagered ten bucks before the series began. Then I paid more than my share for everyone's pizza with my winnings.

Jesse Owens at the Nazi Olympics rates my numero uno. Of course I wasn't alive. But Owens made Hitler leave his own stadium for the playing of the U.S. national anthem three...or was it four? times. Sweet!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:15 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:23 pm
1989 exhibition game... San Francisco Giants, VS the A's...only game I ever went to...us kids got to try to get autographs from the players, the umpire encouraged us all to wait single file...But the kid's who shoved...they got autographs. My brother got one, I didn't.

The 89 earthquake happened, and of course the A's went on to win the series.

Oh and my uncle in a last minute, couldn't find anybody to go to him for the NFL playoff...yes that guy Kaepernick...he lost. I guess it's neat knowing I saw the last game at Candlestick with the terrible 49ers team.

What amazed me was the cost...400$ a ticket...and it's like...well that's a lot of guitar strings and beer :)
I was in Dublin, CA when the quake hit. SF wasn't going to beat the A's no matter what, and I'm a Giants fan.
My most memorable moment had to be when the 49ers won their first Super Bowl.
Beating Dallas in the playoffs was a very close second. Great memories.
Help!

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:56 am

Football World Cup in Brasil, 8 July 2014, half final in Belo Horizonte, Brasil vs Germany: 1:7 - unique in football history. Never seen before and will probably never happen again.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:55 am

Most memorable sports event that I physically watched was the 1965 Australian Grand Prix. It wasn't part of the world championship then but an annual event held at various race tracks around Australia. In 1965 it was held at Longford in Tasmania. My favourite was winning when he got bumped while overtaking a slower car and had to pit to have his suspension checked. When he left the pits he was a long way behind but the what a drive followed. He didn't win but finished second by 1/10th of a second. The next 3 cars all finished within the next 5 seconds.

Watched on television there are two that come to mind; Franz Klammer's gold medal win at Innsbruck in 1976. Never have I seen someone so close to absolute disaster on the ragged edge of control. It is stunning skiing. The other was Keiran Perkins gold medal swim in the 1500 metre event at the Atlanta Olympics. He had not had a great lead-up to the race and was the last qualifier so he had to start in the 8th lane and this was before they built pools with 10 lanes to eliminate the splash-back in the outside lanes. No one gave him a chance. He led from start to finish. When he got out of the pool his skin colour showed that there was absolutely nothing left to give. I have heard a comment from another swimmer who was there that when they saw him being assisted away and from his colour they thought he was dying; there was absolutely no oxygen left in him.

If this sounds strange you need to know the difference between anaerobic and aerobic activity. 1500 metre swim is aerobic but in this case Perkins had used all his oxygen reserves that are normally used but not to depletion in an aerobic event.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:46 am

Greece's first Eurobasket won of 1987 ( exactly 30 years ago!!! )

and

Greece's Euro 2004 ( football ) :D
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Fratton Park, 2nd Sep 1970. Portsmouth vs Leyton Orient, result 1-1 draw.
It was the first and last football match I ever went to. I still remember the bitter cold and the smell of other people's Bovril.

Well, if the date is wrong, it can only have been 12th Dec 1964, but I'd have been 4 then, and I doubt my father would have taken me to a football match when I was so young.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm

If I listed the ten most exciting and memorable sports events for me, the top five would be Ryder Cup events.

Goose997

Post by Goose997 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:50 pm

South Africa winning the rugby world cup 1995.
Best regards,
Malan
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Antonio Marin Montero Spruce (June 2015)
Alhambra 10P Cedar
Alhambra 1C Cedar

ChristianK

Post by ChristianK » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 pm

USA vs Russia hockey, Lake Placid Olympics.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:33 pm

ChristianK wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 pm
USA vs Russia hockey, Lake Placid Olympics.
Oops, forgot about that one. Make that number one on my list as well. And I'm not even a hockey fan.

Return to “The Café”