Cavatina Mystery

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Cavatina Mystery

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:59 pm

I need some guess work by the folks here.

After a recent performance, an audience member asked if I knew Cavatina. I said no. She said her brother picked it up by ear. So I went to Class Clef and looked it up. I found two versions. Myers/John Williams and Tansman (prelude).

Mod edit: Links to copyrighted sheet music removed.

Neither really look like someone could simply "pick it up by ear". But I'm guessing she meant the Myers/Williams version (Deer Hunter theme).

What is your guess?

(If my links get blocked for some reason, just go to Class Clef and search for Cavatina - you will get both scores.)
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Bill

Re: Cavatina Mystery

Post by Bill » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Yes, i'm sure she meant the Myers/Williams.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 pm

I would guess the Deer Hunter theme. I think Cavatina is a type of piece so there are probably loads of things called that. People mean so many different things by "picked it up by ear" that I think it's hard to read much into that.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 am

No mystery and I don't need to guess :) I have been asked for Cavatina many, many times over the years and they certainly don't mean Tansman!
If you play in public, Cavatina (Myers) is one of a handful of CG 'standards' that the general public will have heard of.

It would be a fairly straightforward task to transcribe this by ear (although you'd have to make sure its the solo guitar version you are listening to and not the dubbed 'duo' version Williams recorded for the film) due to the tempo, the clear separation of the notes and limited options for positions of the chords. However, its much quicker to simply get the music and the JW arrangement has some fingering too.

JonD

Post by JonD » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 am

Working on this piece (Myers/Williams) on and off at the moment. Early days yet.

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:43 am

If I recall correctly "cavatina" means small song in Spanish and there are several examples extant. It is like Chaconne which was a dance and there are plenty of examples other than Bach.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:04 pm

My guess is, her brother can play the toon recognisably; more than that, I can't guess.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “The Café”