elbow pain on right hand

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
johnG

elbow pain on right hand

Post by johnG » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 pm

First I play right handed, and my elbow hurts when I play more than a hour or so. Is there anything I can do, and still play, to stop my elbow from hurting, Could this be caused by my technique for holding the guitar?

Any help is appreciated

thanks

John g

gitgeezer

Re: elbow pain on right hand

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Get a thera-band flexbar. It worked for me.

bear

Post by bear » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:01 pm

see a M.D. and bring your guitar and footstool.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 am

Get an ergonomic guitar support...or...heaven forbid just install a strap button.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 am

What part of your elbow hurts?
Are you playing more than an hour without taking a break?
Are you working with a teacher?
Does it hurt only when you play guitar or do other activities cause the same pain?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE4B99wKBjM

I've followed the exercises in this video, & within 2 days my elbow pain has been hugely reduced; both elbows hurt on the inside, at the point where a rounded bone protrudes -at first I thought it was from clenching the guitar with the right arm, but when the left elbow also began hurting, I searched the internet for help (!) with very good results!

I hope this works for you, too. . . .:)

frank-73

Post by frank-73 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:19 am

could also be a tenosynovitis - or in common words: typist's neuritis

That can be very painfull and as to be complete healing befor practising again!
There are some tools available to support your right arm when lieing on the guitar body.

uptempo

Post by uptempo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:47 pm

I had the exact same issue plus pain in the right hand and fingers. I have posted before about this but I'll restate my advice.

Don't dignose yourself or do exercises based on what you see on you tube - it can set you back.

Find a proper physio who will listen to what you say. Make sure you are not doing non guitar activities that are causing the pain. In my case I have been massaging tense shoulders and neck with bent elbows for years and this was the actual cause.

It's about 18 months since my injury appeared and 6 months agonI had given up hope. I finally found a physio who carefully listened to what I said - in fact I made a point of booking a whole session just to discuss my injury.

He took me into the gym and started me off doing rowing and a range of other weights on machines. I was incredibly hesitant because everyone says rest rest rest. I'm now rowing for an hour and lifting pretty decent weights and my arms and forearms are like they belong to someone else. My back is strong and my shoulder pain is now history. My hands are nearly back to normal and I don't get a bad back sitting with guitar.

What I'm getting at is the fact that every injury is unique and you must get a diagnosis. In my case it was tendonosis not tendonitis and there is a difference in how it's treated. And rest is not always correct because again it depends on the injury.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”