Almond back and sides guitar.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by HNLim » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:05 am

Has anyone ever made a classical guitar using almond wood for the back and side?

Tubbers
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Enumclaw, WA

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Tubbers » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 am

Never have, but it is a hardwood.
Help!

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by HNLim » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I wonder what are the reasons why it is not being used to make guitar?

MessyTendon
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 am

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:12 am

The only reason it's not used...because you haven't done it yet. You have my blessing :)

I just got a big board of oak and some IPE decking wood...I'm using it. Hopefully it works. We'll see.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by HNLim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:34 am

Anyone have any suggestion where can I get them?

Tubbers
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Enumclaw, WA

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Tubbers » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am

Help!

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by HNLim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Tubbers wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am
Maybe here.

http://www.thorn-creek.com/almondwood.html
Thank you!

Andrew Pohlman
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:05 am
Has anyone ever made a classical guitar using almond wood for the back and side?
Pear is often used in laminates as the center wood between pretty veneers. Why not almond ? I mean almond is much prettier. But ask the guys at LMI, because for sides you will need to bend it. Almond may or may not be bendable or may have problems.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

RichardUno
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by RichardUno » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Oops, wrong wood. I thought you were asking about walnut.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6557
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Almond wood isn't even listed in 'the wood database', which tells us that it must have very limited commercial use. I suspect it's a little like Olive wood i.e. it's more viable for it's fruit rather than it's wood. Obtaining clear lengths of wood with sufficient width is probably somewhat difficult. Laburnum is another. Very nice timber but try getting it in widths and lengths that can be used for guitar backs and sides.
Historicalguitars.

dory
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:29 am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by dory » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 am

I know some hardwoods are denser than others and thus produce a nicer sound. Hardwoods are all hard to some degree but differ greatly in density. I don't know about almond wood, but there is a reason why rosewood and ebony are so popular for making instruments. That said, we are going to have ti expand our tastes in wood because of over harvesting.

A really lovely hardwood that is quite dense and is extremely beautiful is tulipwood. I have never seen that one used to make a guitar.
Dory

Tubbers
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Enumclaw, WA

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Tubbers » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am

dory wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 am
A really lovely hardwood that is quite dense and is extremely beautiful is tulipwood. I have never seen that one used to make a guitar.
I had some small pieces of tulip wood and you are right, it is really beautiful.
Help!

Pat Dodson
Posts: 2944
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:32 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am

Tubbers wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am
dory wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 am
A really lovely hardwood that is quite dense and is extremely beautiful is tulipwood. I have never seen that one used to make a guitar.
I had some small pieces of tulip wood and you are right, it is really beautiful.
Classical guitars using this wood do seem pretty rare. However Christopher Sembdner had one with a Spruce top for sale at GSI a couple of years back. Very pretty back and sides.
IMG_0690.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6557
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 am

dory wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 am
I know some hardwoods are denser than others and thus produce a nicer sound. Hardwoods are all hard to some degree but differ greatly in density. I don't know about almond wood, but there is a reason why rosewood and ebony are so popular for making instruments. That said, we are going to have ti expand our tastes in wood because of over harvesting.

A really lovely hardwood that is quite dense and is extremely beautiful is tulipwood. I have never seen that one used to make a guitar.
What do you mean by nicer? Ebony is extremely rare for the back/sides of guitars. . . . then there's the Leonardo research, which many people continue to ignore. That just goes to show just how difficult it is to alter ingrained opinions. I knew about the Leonardo results before Leonardo was even conceived. :?
Historicalguitars.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6557
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:57 am

Pat Dodson wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am
Tubbers wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am
dory wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 am
A really lovely hardwood that is quite dense and is extremely beautiful is tulipwood. I have never seen that one used to make a guitar.
I had some small pieces of tulip wood and you are right, it is really beautiful.
Classical guitars using this wood do seem pretty rare. However Christopher Sembdner had one with a Spruce top for sale at GSI a couple of years back. Very pretty back and sides.

IMG_0690.JPG
I think the Americans term that Poplar. I've had some Tulipwood but not for guitars. It was some years ago but from what I can recall it was very light in weight, more like Spanish cypress. You might call them both the polar opposite of your typical rosewood.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “The Café”