Almond back and sides guitar.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Pat Dodson

Re: Almond back and sides guitar.

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:57 am
Pat Dodson wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am
Tubbers wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am

I had some small pieces of tulip wood and you are right, it is really beautiful.
Classical guitars using this wood do seem pretty rare. However Christopher Sembdner had one with a Spruce top for sale at GSI a couple of years back. Very pretty back and sides.

IMG_0690.JPG
I think the Americans term that Poplar. I've had some Tulipwood but not for guitars. It was some years ago but from what I can recall it was very light in weight, more like Spanish cypress. You might call them both the polar opposite of your typical rosewood.
Interesting Michael. From what I read on the web (always dangerous) tulipwood (Liriodendron tulipifera) is indeed also referred to in the USA as tulip poplar and yellow poplar. But it isn't a member of the poplar genus (Populus) and is more closely related to magnolias. It seems its fluttering leaves, as with poplars, caused the association. And tulip? The external appearance of the tree's flowers resembles tulips though internally they are very different. Whatever, it's a very striking wood.
IMG_0691.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 pm

I didn't know tulip is a tree.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:16 pm

HNLim wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 pm
I didn't know tulip is a tree.
Oh yes. Daffodils too.
IMG_0692.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm
Almond wood isn't even listed in 'the wood database', which tells us that it must have very limited commercial use. I suspect it's a little like Olive wood i.e. it's more viable for it's fruit rather than it's wood. Obtaining clear lengths of wood with sufficient width is probably somewhat difficult. Laburnum is another. Very nice timber but try getting it in widths and lengths that can be used for guitar backs and sides.
Presumably olive is also difficult to get in usable sizes? Judging by the small pieces of olive I've seen recently, used for cheeseboards, place mats and other small items, it is a very pretty wood.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 pm

I've seen olive used in turned items, flutes and recorders. Never had any to work with, it's just not that commonly available.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “The Café”