A different food thread

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Re: A different food thread

Post by dory » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 am

Just think. In the Middle Ages most people lived on gruel most days. Your diet sounds varied compared to that, Simon.
Dory

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:49 pm

dory wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 am
In the Middle Ages most people lived on gruel most days.
Not necessarily so - I think they were inclined to eat pottage and frumenty as well :mrgreen:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:59 pm

dory wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 am
Just think. In the Middle Ages most people lived on gruel most days. Your diet sounds varied compared to that, Simon.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact when I am super lazy I make myself some porridge in the evenings - much thicker than gruel. My secret receipt is simple. Put some oatmeal (70-100g) in a bowl and pour in some boiling water. Add a little salt. Stir it up and let it sit for some minutes. Add milk and eat.

When I am more adventurous or feeling the need for some added extras: a little less oatmeal but more water and anything handy in the way of walnuts, fruit (fresh or dried) and maybe a little honey. Sometimes fresh ginger. This version may be with or without milk.

My morning version varies - either just oatmeal with cold milk plus a banana or fresh ginger or both. Or the basic porridge above if the weather is cooler. That has been my breakfast for the past 20-30 years. Porridge is fashionable again the UK so breakfast there (or snack time later) is a pleasure!

When I was a child gruel was pre-bedtime and for adults with a cold or flu, some whiskey was added to the mix. :-)

Easy to see how some days I don't end up with a lot of variety. Funny thing is that until I read the article I mentioned at the beginning I was under the illusion that I had a reasonably varied diet. That was a bit of an eye-opener regardless of all the associated issues of food security.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:17 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:49 pm
...they were inclined to eat pottage and frumenty as well.
It's worth mentioning that pottage is not the same as porridge. Pottage was a thick soup made by boiling vegetables and grains with meat or fish if available. Frumenty was quite similar, being made primarily with wheat and might include milk or eggs and sometimes nuts and dried fruit.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Return to “The Café”