Need Advice for Baritone Ukulele

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Need Advice for Baritone Ukulele

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 pm

I have no idea what possessed me, but I bought I semi cheap baritone ukulele - a Kala KA-B. See pic below. It is tuned EBGD. I found a pretty cool website with scores/tabs of classical guitar pieces arranged and translated for baritone ukulele. So that's a start. I've ordered Aquila Nylgut strings to replace the factory ones.

My wife loves it! She really wants me to bring it when we go camping! This means ... I actually need to learn to play it ... soon.

Can anyone recommend books, websites, technique learned the hard way? Should I stick with strumming or are classical pieces actually doable? Maybe "give up now" is the best advice I can receive ... :D Beach Boys songs ? :D

Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated!!!
baritone ukulele.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

doug

Re: Need Advice for Baritone Ukulele

Post by doug » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:46 pm

I have one also, and I mostly just pick the melody and strum along. I bought it for a ukulele choir at church, which didn't last but about a year. It's now my "porch instrument." I was sitting on the front porch last night just before sundown playing my version of "Wayfaring Stranger" and "Mull of Kintyre."
I've never had a method book or sheet music for it.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:22 pm

They are so easy to play compared to a 650 scale guitar...just strum...wank, noodle...it's fun.

burtong

Post by burtong » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 pm

The beauty of the baritone uke is that the strings are tuned the same as the top four strings of your classical guitar. So if you are familiar with chords on your guitar just play them on the uke.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello,

First, you might enjoy joining this forum : http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forum.php
Tons of ressources, tips, advices and tabs (you have to register to access the tabs).

And if you have an interest in renaissance music, don't miss these wonderful free tabs : https://renaissance-ukukele.blogspot.fr/

Hope this helps,
Regards,

gilles

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 pm

I have a bari and I love it, but I hardly ever play it. It's an old-fashionied Mahalo, from the days when they were very interesting cheap ukes. It had friction pegs which were hopeless, so I replaced them with geared tuners. I tend to strum my ukes (sop and concert) and my concert reso really hard, but doing that to a Bari makes it sound awful. I think my strings are Martins (two fluorocarbon, two wound). I'm not convinced by Aquila strings unless they are concert or sop, and I've had no joy from red Aquilas. Joni Mitchell played a bari early in her career - you may be able to find Youtube videos of her playing one.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:21 pm

My wife loves it! She really wants me to bring it when we go camping! This means ... I actually need to learn to play it ... soon.
Andrew; just tune it up, sit back, close your eyes and start channeling Jake Shimabukuro.

:wink:
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:24 pm

What's hard about it? It's the same as what you already play. I'm asking, because I was thinking of getting one just for that reason.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

ddray

Post by ddray » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 am

Check out Rob MacKillop's YT channel. He has several videos showing what can be done with a uke. I swear, I believe you could put strings on a watermelon rind and he could probably play Bach's Chaconne on it.

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 am

You could of course get creative and make up your own arrangements of your favourite classical guitar pieces for four string guitar ... it's essentially the same as a renaissance guitar, only with a well-defined tuning.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:59 am

There was a guy on here who was an excellent guitarist. I've forgotten his name. I think he was Belgian.
But he only ever played baroque music. He played the uke; he played the cuatro; he played the lute; he played the timple. But he played the same music on every instrument he touched. When you are good enough, and when the isntrument is good enough, it doesn't matter what it is, it all sounds exactly the same, so there's no point. It frustrated me, no offence intended if he recognises himself. OK, if you only play guitar and baritone uke, then perhaps I'll allow you to be limited; but if you want to play world instruments, why not learn some world music too? It is what those instruments were designed for!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:59 am
... OK, if you only play guitar and baritone uke, then perhaps I'll allow you to be limited; but if you want to play world instruments, why not learn some world music too? It is what those instruments were designed for!
Exactly! That's why I plan to learn Beach Boys and Beatles songs, as well as Disney theme songs ! :D Oh wait, maybe that's not what you meant! :D

On a more serious note, I am doing what you folks have indicated - goofing around and adapting my CG skills to a four string instrument. Some of that is slam dunk easy. So far, the hardest part is finding how to appropriately add the bass notes, especially for C, and E chord structures. I also find that the short scale has me well overshooting the desired frets with a lead finger. Seems like I'll be able to adapt with a fair amount of ease.

Thank you all for your comments so far !

musicstand

Post by musicstand » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 am

I have a couple of books you might find interesting. They are....From Lute to Uke by Tony Mizen and The Classical ukulele by John King.
Also I have been studying a lot of music from South America with the calypso type of strumming. I have enjoyed playing a lot of easy pieces such as "Blue Bayou" and also "Sola Mente una Vez" (You belong to my heart)
I like lots of slow stuff for my arthritic fingers nowadays.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:56 pm

gilles T wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:41 pm
... First, you might enjoy joining this forum : http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forum.php Tons of ressources, tips, advices and tabs (you have to register to access the tabs).
And if you have an interest in renaissance music, don't miss these wonderful free tabs : https://renaissance-ukukele.blogspot.fr/ ...gilles
Hiya guys! Just a quick update to my baritone ukulele escapades: I went onto the Ukuleleunderground site recommended by gilles above. Folks there recommended the Daily Ukulele for Baritone. So I purchased the Leap Year edition and it was on my doorstep when I arrived home last night. I put it on my music stand, got out the ukulele, and tried out several songs. I reviewed it here in the sheet music thread.

montana

Post by montana » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:09 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:22 pm
They are so easy to play compared to a 650 scale guitar...just strum...wank, noodle...it's fun.
Hi Messy....good on the strum part, but how do I wank and noodle?

Return to “The Café”