Yamaha SLG200NW personal comments

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Johnne Lee

Yamaha SLG200NW personal comments

Post by Johnne Lee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 pm

I've been away from music for nearly a decade and the wealth of quality instruments (and accessories) now available has been a revelation.

I purchased a Yamaha SLG200NW. I utilize a strap and headphones, although I may consider a small Dynarette Support.

My findings:

This thing is just amazing. After some minor fine tuning of the set-up and re-stringing it plays wonderfully. I have found no issue what-so-ever with the unusual construction interfering with my (admittedly limited) ability to assume/maintain a proper playing position.

The tone is amazing (the player does, after all, have a great deal of control over the tone.) I can't imagine any player not being able find an acceptable tone. I imagine an amplifier would offer a dazzling array of available tone variation.

There are 2 drawbacks: One easily dispatched with the assistance of My Dearly Beloved Wife. The other I'll have to learn to live with.

I could not find a hard case that fits the SLG series guitars. So, I purchased a good quality hard case designed for a thin-bodied AE classical. My Honey designed and sewed up an insert tailored specifically to ensure the guitar and case are a perfect match.

The negative...

Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything that can be done to replicate that "internal resonance" you feel in your chest when you play a full-bodied classical guitar. I do miss that.

But, it is a small price to pay for all of the positive attributes of this wonderful instrument.

I HIGHLY recommend this guitar to anyone. I consider it a BARGAIN!!!!

My $00.02 worth; YMMV

jl

Francisco

Re: Yamaha SLG200NW personal comments

Post by Francisco » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 am

Johnne Lee wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 pm
I've been away from music for nearly a decade and the wealth of quality instruments (and accessories) now available has been a revelation.

I purchased a Yamaha SLG200NW. I utilize a strap and headphones, although I may consider a small Dynarette Support.
Is the 200NW available in stores already where you live? Last I heard from my music shop, about a month ago, Yamaha was not yet shipping them to retailers. They said they expected to start doing so by the end of the summer.
I used to have a 200N and found it very useful for night practice, but got rid of it because the 50 mm neck width felt a bit too narrow, and especially because the constant switching back and forth between it and the standard 52mm of my normal guitar was messing up my playing.
The Yamaha THR5A amp is incredibly compact and portable and works very well with it.
Yamaha GC42S

davebones

Post by davebones » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Johnne Lee,

Are you switching back and forth between a full bodied classical and your Yamaha? If so, how is the transition. I'm very interested in the SLG200NW, mainly because it would allows me some travel and late night playing options. Plus, I sold most of my jazz archtops to buy a couple of classical guitars which are not amplified. The SLG200NW is something I could run through my amp to get a variety of sounds.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Well the only real problem with the switching back and forth was the different neck widths, which is why I endded up getting rid of the 200N, hoping to get the 200NW which was supposed to hit the stores in April, but didn’t, at least not here.
For the rest, I found it ideal for the purpose I used it, i.e. practice in the wee hours or late at night in an apartment building. I found the sound acceptable, and even fun with all the different options available, but of course I wouldn’t expect to get the same sound as with a real classical guitar.

I had to wrap sof soft tissue around the upper body wing to be able to rest my right arm comfortably on it, and I used a strap around the shoulder only as a safety measure (but not to hold the weight of the guitar on the shoulder, which I don’t like) just because it felt pretty unstable on the Dynarette/Flanger cushions that I use on my leg, due to the very narrow “body”.

I found it extremely convenient for travel because it was so compact. I am still waiting for the NW to make it to the stores.
Yamaha GC42S

Johnne Lee

Post by Johnne Lee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Yes, the NW was available, but only as the dealer had one to demo.

I find no problem moving back and forth between my NW and an Alhambra 8P that is owned by a close friend of mine. I am quite comfortable playing either, but I am beginning to prefer the NW. I love my NW.

YMMV...

jl

Return to “The Café”