Let's see if this works.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Let's see if this works.

Post by dory » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Ok. This is not at all classical guitar which is why I am putting it in the cafe. I wanted to highlight how steel string narrow necked guitars which are so ubiquitous in the US have not invaded Latin America in the same way. This is not at all classical music but it is pretty fun, I think and shows that nylon stringed guitars are still traditional in many parts of the world.

https://www.facebook.com/pascual.vila/v ... 893662827/
Dory

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Let's see if this works.

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Yah! There is a huge Mexican and Latin American population in my hospital (um, I work in a prison hospital). I was lucky enough to be involved with the music therapy classes just yesterday. Turns out that all those hispanics in the music classes play nylon string "Spanish" guitars. Not a single steel string. And they set a much higher standard for skill on their instruments. Most of them are far better than me, which ain't saying much, but still ... When I play, they say things like, "That was good!" Then they play and I am astonished! So if the prison population is any indication of the broader public, yeah, nylon string guitars is how it's done !
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

razz

Post by razz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 am

Also interesting is that the Latin Americans use the "classical" guitar more often in ensembles than we do here in the U. S.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm
Yah! There is a huge Mexican and Latin American population in my hospital (um, I work in a prison hospital). I was lucky enough to be involved with the music therapy classes just yesterday. Turns out that all those hispanics in the music classes play nylon string "Spanish" guitars. Not a single steel string. And they set a much higher standard for skill on their instruments. Most of them are far better than me, which ain't saying much, but still ... When I play, they say things like, "That was good!" Then they play and I am astonished! So if the prison population is any indication of the broader public, yeah, nylon string guitars is how it's done !
Andrew, Are these inmates or workers in the therapy classes?

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:22 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm
Andrew, Are these inmates or workers in the therapy classes?
Inmates. We are a prison hospital with focus on psych. So the music therapy classes are part of the psych program.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The Café”