Position dots

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Hany Hayek

Position dots

Post by Hany Hayek » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:12 pm

I don't have these on my guitar. I had to improvise and made the markings (with white tape) on the side of the fingerboard at 3rd, 5th and 7th fret. It's a special removable tape that will not leave any trace.
I am not quite used yet to the guitar's upper positions.
I almost forgot about them on the mandolin.. I have been playing for 5 years. I now go all the way up the fret board. sometimes I get lost and look for the dots :oops:
I never though they existed on any instruments when I played the violin 25 years ago :D
I guess after a while I'll forget about them on the guitar as well.
Looking for your opinions on this :?:

Alan Green

Re: Position dots

Post by Alan Green » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 pm

If they help - leave them on the neck

If they don't - ditch them

Poncho

Post by Poncho » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 pm

I put a little dab of 'White Out' correction fluid at those positions. Doesn't hurt the guitar and is easy to get off. I've tried the dots you can buy but their expensive, a little hard to apply, and eventually move around or come off.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 pm

I use Avery labels and I punch out dots with a single hole paper punch. Works great! No residue when I want to get them off for photos and such. Many solutions. Purists hate dots. I love them. But then, I'm an anarchist. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 pm

My recent pieces involve play above and beyond the 12th fret. I use large pieces of green masking tape at a few key positions. I don't see why this is a matter of great pride to people.

Kp

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Poncho wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 pm
I put a little dab of 'White Out' correction fluid at those positions. Doesn't hurt the guitar and is easy to get off. I've tried the dots you can buy but their expensive, a little hard to apply, and eventually move around or come off.
:merci: This is a good idea!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 pm
I use Avery labels and I punch out dots with a single hole paper punch. Works great! No residue when I want to get them off for photos and such. Many solutions. Purists hate dots. I love them. But then, I'm an anarchist. :D
:merci: I've also thought about doing the same thing myself! Definitely helps with the dot markers on the fretboard! :bye:

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:31 am

As I've said on similar threads, I use a hole punch to make the dots, then fix them with Pritt-Stick. They come off easily with a damp cloth. Andrew's Avery labels seems a bit simpler.

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:40 am

There is a commercial product called "Fret Dots" that can be easily installed or removed. Search for on Amazon.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

khayes

Post by khayes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:31 am
As I've said on similar threads...
It is really amazing how often this 'dot' topic comes up :D
Ken

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:43 pm

I cannot play without fret dots (at 5, 7, and 9th position). I buy silver paper with adhesive backing used in Israel to give points to children on a point chart in kindergarten. About once in 5 years I need to replace the dots on all my guitars.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

botswanajohn

Post by botswanajohn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Purists hate dots. I love them. But then, I'm an anarchist.
Why are we all so snobbish about dots. I have always learnt and played without dots and looked down on them . Pure snobbery! Then a few months ago I played some top end luthier made guitars that have discrete dots. One that hides the ends of the frets in the fingerboard except the fifth and seventh fret which he leaves visible and another very expensive guitar that had a single small dot inlaid at the edge of the fingerboard at the seventh fret. Both the dot and the hidden fret system I found very helpful even though I usually know where I am. In fact I liked the single dot so much that my luthier friend iscurrently putting one on the side of the fingerboard at the seventh fret on my old cracked scuffed Ramirez....hope not too many purists turn in their graves.
1981 Ramirez 1a
1982 Asturias
If music be the food of love, play on....

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Even pianos have that great big marker over middle C.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

quavers

Post by quavers » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:41 pm

If it works for you, it works. I have followed all kinds of advice with respect to playing guitar, some good, some not so good, and some just plain wrong. I see nothing wrong with position markers, even those in laid in the fingerboard for all to see. Who cares?

I have been told not to look at my left hand, not to look at my right hand, to practice in front a mirror. I don't know if any of these are right or wrong but I have tried them all. I have learned something from all of these practices and don't consider any of them absolutely the only way- I have returned to all of them at some point and have also purchased several classical guitars with markers already painted on the outer edge of the neck. Some people would have you believe that markers are some sort of an object of shame. Nonsense.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Lots of comments: Here are 130+ posts about postion dots. search.php?keywords=position+dots :-)

Return to “The Café”