Position dots

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Position dots

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:51 pm

No one has mentioned dots above the 12th fret. I found I needed them when learning pieces using artificial harmonics to get the fret touch right. Once learned I could remove them.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:02 am

My favorite local music store had a 1967 Ramirez 1A (Sherry-Brenner) with the Andre Segovia label inside. The previous owner had drilled a hole at the 7th fret ( I am only assuming that he did it himself as the drilled hole wasn't in the center of the ebony) and had a diamond in it for a fret marker.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:22 pm

The presence or absence of dots has no effect on musical performance. It's a personal choice similar to how you sit, the position of your instrument when playing or whether you prefer a cedar or spruce top guitar. There are many ways to arrive at a destination. We all travel differently. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

dory

Post by dory » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:57 pm

The guitar is a difficult instrument. I learned on a guitar that had the dots. When I got a new guitar my husband put dots on. I refuse to feel guilty. However, if I had learned without them I probably wouldn't want them.
Dory

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Had the same problem. My guitar had NO markings at all. I was planning to get some white tape and cur small dots (or triangles or squares) and stick them on the edge of the fretboard. Fortunately before I got into this can of worms, I found the fret dots on Amazon. The company is "Rosette Guitar Products". They are cheap (around $6 for more than you need) and they can easily be removed with your fingernail. They also have a lot more than just dots.
Here is a jpeg of my guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Gil_Wade

Post by Gil_Wade » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:16 am

botswanajohn wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Why are we all so snobbish about dots. I have always learnt and played without dots and looked down on them . Pure snobbery! Then a few months ago I played some top end luthier made guitars that have discrete dots. One that hides the ends of the frets in the fingerboard except the fifth and seventh fret which he leaves visible and another very expensive guitar that had a single small dot inlaid at the edge of the fingerboard at the seventh fret. Both the dot and the hidden fret system I found very helpful even though I usually know where I am. In fact I liked the single dot so much that my luthier friend iscurrently putting one on the side of the fingerboard at the seventh fret on my old cracked scuffed Ramirez....hope not too many purists turn in their graves.
If it is an old cracked Ramirez we'll forgive you! I'm used to no dots. I find when I pick up a guitar with dots I'm confused by the dots. They engage my brain rather than my usual sense of proportion. I'm stopping to think "is the next note on the 7th fret? Which dot is that?" instead of just moving to the correct fret. To each their own.
Gil ( o )===:::

Gilbert Wade, Certified Music Practitioner

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no bird sang except the best." Anonymous

"I get a lot of requests...but I play anyway." from a cartoon

Gil_Wade

Post by Gil_Wade » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:51 pm
No one has mentioned dots above the 12th fret. I found I needed them when learning pieces using artificial harmonics to get the fret touch right. Once learned I could remove them.
My teacher told me to mark the harmonic "spot" on the string with permanent marker while learning the song. Changing the strings removes the marks.
Gil ( o )===:::

Gilbert Wade, Certified Music Practitioner

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no bird sang except the best." Anonymous

"I get a lot of requests...but I play anyway." from a cartoon

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 am

Gil_Wade wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 am
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:51 pm
My teacher told me to mark the harmonic "spot" on the string with permanent marker while learning the song. Changing the strings removes the marks.
Great idea Gil, I'll try that!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “The Café”