Learning music theory

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Steve Kutzer

Re: Learning music theory

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 pm

All the Common Practice Period aspects of music theory aside, I think it took me a few too many years to learn the importance of knowing my key signatures, intervals, chord construction formulas and scale modes. I spent too many years just playing CG pieces as written. It wasn't until I tried to dabble in Jazz and create simple chord melodies that I really became aware of my deficiencies. A simple ii-V-I chord progression was beyond me, for years.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:37 pm
Whiteagle wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 am
In particular I am interested in a workbook where I can apply the principles of music theory. There are some workbooks around but none of them seem to have an answers.
Sorry, I skipped this bit of your request earlier. I'm just going to repeat what rasputin says, I suspect, but in the Seventies I remember using such workbooks, or they might have been old exam papers. I don't know if they had any answers in. ABRSM (the associated board of the royal schools of music) is a suitable source.
Go on Amazon and search for ISBN 1860969429 and it will allow youto look inside the book.
My advice, if the book contains no answers, is don't worry about it - if you go over these books enough times, you'll eventually see where you've made mistakes and be able to correct them. If you do grade 1 carefully then grade 2 then grade 3 then go back to grade 1, everything will be much clearer.
Hi Andrew. Yes I have resigned myself that i will probably need to do as you suggest, go back and look over the answers. I do find it strange that answers arent included. Imagine doing your maths homework at school of a night and not being able to check your answers.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 am

bert wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Whiteagle wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 am
I am interested in any recommendations regarding good books to learn music theory. In particular I am interested in a workbook where I can apply the principles of music theory. There are some workbooks around but none of them seem to have an answers. A bit like doing a school maths book with no answers at the back to see if you are right or wrong.

Any recommendations about material available online are also welcome.
Not a book, but I like this site and the videos on youtube:http://sethmonahan.com/teaching.html
Thanks Bert. I will definitely check these out.

Return to “The Café”