Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
riffmeister

Been vegan for three months now

Post by riffmeister » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 pm

And I like it. Good to change things up.

Kent

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by Kent » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:31 am

Vegie.jpg
Been thinking about it for years! Good for you Riff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:15 am

Why does everyone suddenly like bacon so much? It is everywhere but I don't love it.
Dory

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:26 am

dory wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:15 am
Why does everyone suddenly like bacon so much? It is everywhere but I don't love it.
Ditto. I eat it if it's given to me, but I almost never choose it.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Bacon is great, what is better than sizzling pork fat in a hot cast iron pan? We'll I've had plenty of vegan chocolate cakes that rival bacon. I think it's fascinating that people equate vegan lifestyle as healthy.

There are plenty of vegan backed goods that defy on logic in sugar content and fat from oils.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:28 pm

There was an odd Naturewatch programme on tv the other week about a vegetarian who had been a beef farmer for 25 years. He had spent time discussing with the Vegan Society how to switch to arable farming and then he fried a breakfast for the presenter which consisted of vegetarian sausages and... a fried egg!

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi Riffmeister,

What are (say) your new top three foods/dishes either in frequency or as favorites from a taste perspective? Some people claim health benefits on a vegan diet - anything to report from that stand point?

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 am

simonm wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm
Hi Riffmeister,

What are (say) your new top three foods/dishes either in frequency or as favorites from a taste perspective? Some people claim health benefits on a vegan diet - anything to report from that stand point?
I am eating well, I never 'go hungry' and yet I have lost 20 lbs over the last 3 months, from high 190s to high 170s and now I'm back at the weight I was when I was in college 40 years ago. I eat fruits, nuts, seeds, grains, beans, and vegetables. Mixed nuts with raisins is my main snack and occasionally I allow myself some dark chocolate covered almonds as a treat. Figs and dates are delicious snacks, too. I'm making my own hummus which spread on whole grain bread is sooooo delicious and a complete protein. Pastas made with beans (lentils, edamame, soy) are delicious meals. We are in high season for locally grown veggies (including from my back yard) and so dinner always has a big salad. Breakfast is toasted whole grain bread with fruit, I buy raw coffee beans and roast them myself, soy milk in the coffee. Occasionally tofu or tempeh will be on the menu for dinner but usually it's a grain and bean for complete protein. There are loads of choices for nutritious grains.....quinoa, kamut, barley, farro, bulgur wheat, etc. In my part of the world it's acually not difficult to find many many great non-meat, non-dairy options for food. And omg I love how everything tastes with just a few non-salt spices added. Amazing. Wish I had done this 40 years ago!

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:59 am

I was veg with an almost vegan tilt for 5-7 years. Loved it in retrospect. I met my wife, she was a meat eater, and it took a while to wade back in. I look back on those years really fondly.

RIff, I eat at v-street often. I also eat at vedge from time to time. V-street is really close to the cg store...
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 am

chiral3 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:59 am
I was veg with an almost vegan tilt for 5-7 years. Loved it in retrospect. I met my wife, she was a meat eater, and it took a while to wade back in. I look back on those years really fondly.

RIff, I eat at v-street often. I also eat at vedge from time to time. V-street is really close to the cg store...
Oh my, gotta try V-street for sure! ;)

I've never been a meat and potatoes kinda person, although I've certainly eaten my fair share of meat and dairy during my lifetime. The jump straight to vegan was not difficult at all. In fact, I love it! But...all this refers to eating vegan. I am not a true vegan in the strict sense of the word.....Still leather in my car and in my clothing.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:06 am

riffmeister wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 am
…. soy milk ...
Neither me or my wife are fans of soya products. My wife often gets "oat milk" and sometimes almond milk. Might be worth a try. Both should also be very easy to make. Essentially just water and some oat/almond flour.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:42 am

I'm an omnivore, and I quite enjoy making a tofu and pea curry every now and then.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:20 am

Good for you Riffy! I've been close to vegan for over 30 years, though never actually used the word. The only usual non-vegan commodity I buy is milk, close I like it in tea (you know where I come from)(but not in luthiers' workshops!)
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:39 am

How do your guitars like it? Have they adjusted well? The seats in my Tesla are Vegan. No joke.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:04 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 pm
And I like it. Good to change things up.
Tired of the vegan jokes yet?

(Just kidding ... Good for you)
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Return to “The Café”