Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
davebones
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm
Location: Scarborough, Maine

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by davebones » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi, Riffmeister,

I've been a vegan for four years after being vegetarian since 1990. You have made a good health choice and also you are helping the planet. The Environmental Protection Agency reports that animal agriculture contributes more pollution to the atmosphere than the transportation industry. I had a hard time believing that was possible, so I did a good bit of research which substantiated the EPA claim. I guess cow farts add up!! And of course you can't use gut strings anymore.

Peace,
Dave

User avatar
souldier
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by souldier » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:11 pm

That's awesome riff. It must be a great feeling to finally be free from poor habits and bad health. It's amazing how many common diseases today are preventable and reversible through diet and exercise. I think one of the greatest powers given to man is the power to choose and actually make a difference in the trajectory of their lives, which you have demonstrated.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

riffmeister
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by riffmeister » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:22 pm

simonm wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:06 am
riffmeister wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 am
…. soy milk ...
Neither me or my wife are fans of soya products. My wife often gets "oat milk" and sometimes almond milk. Might be worth a try. Both should also be very easy to make. Essentially just water and some oat/almond flour.
There is a commercial soy milk that I like, good flavor and higher in protein than almond or oat milk. My partner makes her own hemp milk....also fairly high in protein.... and she flavors it nicely with a little agave and vanilla extract.
Last edited by riffmeister on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddray
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Congratulations to the OP and I'm getting closer and closer to that way of life as well, more for moral reasons than anything else. Slaughtering animals for food is becoming increasingly repugnant to me the older I get. You get weary of cruelty in all its forms.

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2387
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes and no.

There are those vegans who see corruption in the meat industry and are too stupid to realise that if the world were vegan, there'd be twice as much corruption in the vegan industries, by dint of their being twice the size of the current meat industries.

In terms of the food pyramid, we are apex predators in nature and base feeders in number. Normally apex predators are rare. Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

ddray
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:17 pm
Yes and no.

There are those vegans who see corruption in the meat industry and are too stupid to realise that if the world were vegan, there'd be twice as much corruption in the vegan industries, by dint of their being twice the size of the current meat industries.

In terms of the food pyramid, we are apex predators in nature and base feeders in number. Normally apex predators are rare. Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon.
Thirteen ways of looking at a blackbird.

MessyTendon
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 am

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 pm

The idea that converting to a vegan diet is going to stop the ravages of industrialized agriculture is a rather crude pretense. One can't simply start drinking soy milk and make the world a magical place...or eat palm shortened fats, that's hardly sustainable.

Ideally we'd stop wasting so much food. The supply and demand economy makes food entirely too cheap and too wasteful.

Stopping consumption of meat and getting people to eat grubs and other insects for protein...maybe the way forward.

Want to change your diet for the sustainable? Be a freegan, eat garbage, because people throw away good food.

I think the bottom line is people are too ignorant and proud to skin an animal themselves. But going to the store dignifies the purchase. Going to buy vegan products...not exactly sustainable.

Go into nature, shoot an animal, fill your freezer...one lead bullet, a couple hours labor...99 cents for 200LBS of meat...hmm...pretty darn good to me.

Man has essentially taken the country lifestyle and made in a yuppy thing, everything local and crafted etc...We forget that the good life was the way of a commoner.

My grandma lived to her 90's...she ate butter and fats, I don't think she got her longevity from being on a farm, she was so poor that she would surround her house with straw and manure for heating...now you tell me if that is more sustainable than going vegan and turning on your coal fired heater...and she churned the butter and drank the milk.

We can't take the ideological high road that vegan or non vegan life is more sustainable and moral, until we allow ourselves to entirely deflate egos. Our planet is facing a big problem. All of the blame must go around accordingly.

It's easy...no cars, no computers, no petrol living...not today, not tomorrow. The ice sheet is melting and the methane is going to turn earth into a nightmare within the next two decades.

MessyTendon
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 am

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Err...sorry typo. I mean, I think she got her longevity from living on a farm, eating all the bad stuff and heating her house with manure.

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2387
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:09 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 pm
I think the bottom line is people are too ignorant and proud to skin an animal themselves.
Well, I don't know about that, but certainly squeamishness is a dodgy basis for any argument for vegetariansim. I certainly wouldn't hunt or fish unless I were going to eat what I killed.

Also Vegans have to justify why they don't adhere to Jain dietary laws.

Who remembers the Simpsons quote- "I'm a level 5 vegan - I don't eat anything that casts a shadow"?

Anyway, I fear I'm going to have to be the first to suggest that this thread will have to be locked sooner or later on religious/political grounds.
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

ddray
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 pm
The idea that converting to a vegan diet is going to stop the ravages of industrialized agriculture is a rather crude pretense. One can't simply start drinking soy milk and make the world a magical place...or eat palm shortened fats, that's hardly sustainable.
My own thinking is not to stop anything except my own participation in it. I'm fully aware that my abstaining from pornography isn't going to shut down the porn industry either.
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:09 pm
MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 pm
I think the bottom line is people are too ignorant and proud to skin an animal themselves.
Well, I don't know about that, but certainly squeamishness is a dodgy basis for any argument for vegetariansim. I certainly wouldn't hunt or fish unless I were going to eat what I killed.
It could be that one man's "squeamishness" is another man's "compassion". If that's to be banned on religious/political grounds then let's not breathe a word anywhere on the forum about such things as helping out the less fortunate either.

simonm
Amateur luthier
Posts: 6247
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Germany, Würzburg.

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by simonm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 pm

In Germany vegan is a food-fashion/fashion-diet more than a philosophy. A personality cook had a hit with a series entitled something like "vegan for fit" (i.e. pseudo-english/newspeak title). The bio/organic convenience industry jumped on it and there are vast numbers of "vegan" products. The word vegan is appearing on all sorts of stuff that is clearly plant based much in the same way as a bag of walnuts or almonds will have the warning message "May contain nuts". Vegan bottled water?

When you look at the list of ingredients on some of the vegan products you have to wonder who is better off, the person buying the "organic bio" product or the person getting the turkey salami with the beetroot juice and dextrose etc …

Meanwhile, having looked up a recipe for the Hemp/Flax milk, I realized that pretty much any oil seed could be used in the same way. The prerequisite is of course that you have a blender, which we don't.

Maybe I should try a vegan week sometime. Wouldn't be all that difficult if I put my mind to it. Curiously, when I am in Menorca, the only reasonably priced restaurant that suits our eating habits and which I would classify as very good does quite a lot of vegan stuff. Unfortunately, it is not in the village we usually stay in. Olive oil chocolate truffles with sea salt made in the restaurant … mmm

riffmeister
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by riffmeister » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:15 am

Dofpic wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:39 am
How do your guitars like it? Have they adjusted well? The seats in my Tesla are Vegan. No joke.
Guitars are happy when the operator is healthy and happy. :)

riffmeister
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by riffmeister » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 am

simonm wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 pm
In Germany vegan is a food-fashion/fashion-diet more than a philosophy. A personality cook had a hit with a series entitled something like "vegan for fit" (i.e. pseudo-english/newspeak title). The bio/organic convenience industry jumped on it and there are vast numbers of "vegan" products. The word vegan is appearing on all sorts of stuff that is clearly plant based much in the same way as a bag of walnuts or almonds will have the warning message "May contain nuts". Vegan bottled water?

When you look at the list of ingredients on some of the vegan products you have to wonder who is better off, the person buying the "organic bio" product or the person getting the turkey salami with the beetroot juice and dextrose etc …

Meanwhile, having looked up a recipe for the Hemp/Flax milk, I realized that pretty much any oil seed could be used in the same way. The prerequisite is of course that you have a blender, which we don't.

Maybe I should try a vegan week sometime. Wouldn't be all that difficult if I put my mind to it. Curiously, when I am in Menorca, the only reasonably priced restaurant that suits our eating habits and which I would classify as very good does quite a lot of vegan stuff. Unfortunately, it is not in the village we usually stay in. Olive oil chocolate truffles with sea salt made in the restaurant … mmm
I try to avoid the processed 'vegan' foods. Can't do that 100% but there you have it. :)

Mickmac
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:40 am

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by Mickmac » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 am

I've been veganish for several years now. By that I mean I eat Vegan as much as I can.
I live in a small town and eating out is difficult. Can't tell you how sick I am of mushroom risotto. Seems to be the only vegan option in most local restaurants.

Cutting out meat and dairy has so many benefits for your health, the planet and of course the animals. Even if you can't do it all the time . Do it as much as you can!

riffmeister
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by riffmeister » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Mickmac wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 am
Cutting out meat and dairy has so many benefits for your health, the planet and of course the animals. Even if you can't do it all the time . Do it as much as you can!
Agree!

Return to “The Café”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 13 guests