Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by simonm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm

APK wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43 pm
… sources of protein….
Back in the 80's early 90's if the words vegetarian or vegan turned up, immediately the question was what about protein. From then until the last few years, I never heard anyone express concern again about protein. Very recently I have overheard the same kind of conversation again. Curious. Protein is pretty much in everything. Protein must top the list of things that a vegan or vegetarian does not need to pay the slightest bit of attention to. :-)

riffmeister wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:51 pm
…. deficiency in B12. ...
For vegans, but not so much lacto-vegetarians do need to keep this in mind. But the solution is easy. Beer! :-)

If you look at B12 (and other B vitamin supplements) you will find that the ultimate source of B's is yeast extract which in turn comes from brewers yeast or used to. Decades ago as a project I looked at selling an "iso-tonic health drink" with b-vitamins. Basically, water, sugar, salt and yeast extract with a fancy name. The b-complex extract is pricey per kilo but a kilo of the stuff is an enormous quantity at the dilutions we need.

riffmeister

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by riffmeister » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 pm

simonm wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm
If you look at B12 (and other B vitamin supplements) you will find that the ultimate source of B's is yeast extract which in turn comes from brewers yeast or used to. Decades ago as a project I looked at selling an "iso-tonic health drink" with b-vitamins. Basically, water, sugar, salt and yeast extract with a fancy name. The b-complex extract is pricey per kilo but a kilo of the stuff is an enormous quantity at the dilutions we need.
Mmmm. Beer. Me Likey! :D

Yes, just a few micrograms per day of B12 is all that's needed. Just a little dab will do ya! (expression from old TV ad)

Return to “The Café”