Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
davebones

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by davebones » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm

I've been a vegan for five years after being vegetarian since 1990. Other than for my health, which is great, I did it for environmental concerns. The Environmental Protection Agency reports that the annual pollution caused by animal agriculture in the United States exceeds all pollution caused by the transportation industry. Check out the hog farms in North Carolina, for example. You are doing a good thing for yourself and for the planet. Congrats!!

Casey

Post by Casey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Mrs. Casey and I went plant-based back in July. I've lost 20lbs and we both feel fantastic. I can only imagine what results a little more exercise and a lot less wine might produce!

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:49 pm

mrdarcy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:19 pm

But my eyesight will be spectacular! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Something I read claimed that there is a scientific basis for this, but it is the carrot greens not the roots that are good for the eyes. No idea if that is true. (100% internet facts) But what is true is that if you put some finely chopped up carrot greens into scrambled eggs, they go pretty well together. I think I saw somewhere that carrots were originally cultivated for the greens not the roots.

Casey wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 pm
…. and a lot less wine might produce!
Now you are scaring me !!!

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 pm

simonm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 pm
Beans on toast would be more rational.
Now your talking! Baked beans on good rye toast is one of my go-to's, and nutritionally 'complete' I believe.
When left nearly entirely to its own devices, the central spirit of the Internet hive mind, its great howling id, tends toward darkness.

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 am

simonm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Whatever rocks your boat. :lol:

Depending on carrots for your proteins is not quite as absurd as depending on soft drinks for fibre, but pretty daft nonetheless.

Beans on toast would be more rational.
Reminds me of some of the worse "vegan dinners" brought to me at some events. As if people have no idea what else can be eaten. At a $100 dish gala my wife and I got green beans and rice with a salad and roll.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 am

Contreras wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 pm
Baked beans on good rye toast is one of my go-to's, and nutritionally 'complete' I believe.
Exactly. Talking about protein as if it was all the same isn't very helpful.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Jamie Esliger

Post by Jamie Esliger » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:15 am

I have found that a mostly vegetable diet, with occasional meat (big family events etc) has resulted in lost weight and higher energy as a whole. I'm enjoying it. (I don't crave meat nearly as much as before I tried this a couple months ago.)

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:37 am

I love this topic:

Go Vegans!

I'm not quite there, and probably never will, but I know it's the right thing to do, and I love you all for doing it- for the betterment of yourselves and the world!

Again thanks for the moments of happiness and inspiration, and just for the record I am being completely serious.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Congratulations: food, and alternative lifestyles, more myths about these on the internet than about any other subject.
Enjoy your "research".

It's still quite difficult to get information about something as simple as fibre.
Seen on TV: -
Veg mainly insoluble fibre (loosens your stools)
Fruit mainly soluble (hardens your stools)
Oh, I think to myself, if that's true, do fruitarians get constipated much?
I went to a fruitarian forum. Lo and behold they are sharing tips on how to avoid the constipation they often get! LOL!
I go to another food forum to look for specific sources of each type of fibre.
The only source of insoluble fibre it could come up with was bran!
The internet - free speech for every cretin on the planet!
Someone in this thread talks about trans-fat being necessary for health, or did he just word that badly?

Yeah, protein. We need less than we think. Main vegan source, things like soya beans, all beans? Dunno. Your problem.
But no mention of amino acids on this thread yet. Why not?
In school in the 70s I was told in biology classes that the body breaks down the digested protein into amino acids and from them it synthesises the proteins it needs. In vegetarian diets, there is a risk of getting insufficient quantities of two of these amino acids. An important reason certain things go together, like soup and bread, or perhaps beans on toast, is because they each supply complementary amino acids. In those days vegan diets were never discussed, but I would suspect there is a greater risk of more than two amino acids being in short supply. That is old 'knowledge' (and I'm mainly just refreshing my memory), but it's a start for more research (HINT: reading idiots' b-s on the web is NOT research).

Here's an example. As part of my study of the Classics I looked at gestation mythology. The ancients believed that, for the baby, a 7-month pregnancy was healthy, an 8-month pregnancy was unhealthy, a 9-month pregnancy was healthy. This, I think, was mainly to make it easier to tell which kids were legitimate and which illegitimate - if a baby was born 8 months after a marriage, you insisted it was a 7 month baby (if it had been 8 months, it would have died). That kind of thing. Or was the husband away at war, and who was the real father?

The boundary is the tricky area, and a lot of laws evolve to deal with boundary (liminal) problems - you try to make it easier to see which side of a boundary something is on. Food laws (such as kosher), it is currently believed, originally dealt with liminal problems (don't ask me what, I have no idea). Currently vegan vs Jain vs vegetarian vs fruitarian are vying for definition of the moral boundary. In 100 years' time that boundary will have shifted, and dietary fads will have shifted with it.

Modern medicine shows that every day longer a baby spends in the womb it is better for the baby.
BUT YES, there are mothers' forums out there where it is still believed that 8-month pregnancies are more harmful to the baby than 7 month pregnancies. Think about that!

If you've got a swelling in your intestines, go to your doctor and have that carcinoma cut out. If you look it up on the web, it will tell you to stop eating gluten.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Contreras wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 am
I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, although I love salads and vegetables. I enjoy meat and seafood, and I don't find the health-based argument against carnivory at all compelling. Indeed, from an evolutionary biology perspective I believe eating meat is at the very core of what made us human.
However, what we do to animals in industrialised meat production sickens me, and having witnessed pig production and slaughter I will not touch pork ... never mind your crispy bacon. Pigs are as smart as your dog, and that is suffering on an epic scale whatever anyone says. Similarly I will not support battery chicken/egg production. What animal products I consume are either wild or ethically produced ... farmers markets etc. I eat less of it and pay more for it, but I'm comfortable with my approach.
Just my 2c.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. Meat and dairy in moderation will produce a completely satisfactory diet, health-wise. In my opinion the problem is, at least in the US, the industrialization of the meat and dairy industries (which is absolutely horrid for the animals as you have noted) has made these foods very inexpensive and so they are in everyone's diet to a large excess. A cheeseburger and french fries costs half that of a decent salad at the cafeteria where I used to work. And there has been a great push to "super-size" every meal portion, as well as constant bombardment of advertising campaigns saying "Got Milk?" or showing steaming, juicy triple decker bacon cheeseburgers. What does this produce? A society of unhealthy obese people who develop heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, a society that can't afford to pay for its own healthcare. Great. Hopefully the distressing healthcare economics will force the dietary pendulum to swing in the other direction.
davebones wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm
I've been a vegan for five years after being vegetarian since 1990. Other than for my health, which is great, I did it for environmental concerns. The Environmental Protection Agency reports that the annual pollution caused by animal agriculture in the United States exceeds all pollution caused by the transportation industry. Check out the hog farms in North Carolina, for example. You are doing a good thing for yourself and for the planet. Congrats!!
Yes, the meat and dairy industries--which have grown hugely out of proportion to what is actually needed to support societal dietary needs--produce huge amounts of pollution. Especially the potent green house gas, methane, from ruminants. I've decided to eat lower on the food chain......for my health (I've lost 20 lbs in the first three months since switching to a vegan diet, I'm back to my weight in college 40 years ago, and believe me I never go hungry!), for the planet, for the animals.
Last edited by riffmeister on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Dinner last night. Roasted veggies on left (butternut squash, sweet potatoes, beets, brussel sprouts), salad in the middle (spinach, romaine lettuce, apples, carrots, celery, yellow pepper, avocado, red onion, spicy Asian peanut dressing), soup on right (barley-lentil, low sodium vegetable broth, low sodium crushed tomato, celery, carrot, green pepper, onion, olive oil, garlic powder, cumin). Two glasses of red wine not shown. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 pm

As another data point, I'm one of those folks that can't go vegan. When i've done it, my cholesterol goes way out of whack. Total levels go down (but my levels were never really high), but my HDL ("good" cholesterol) plummets and LDL ("bad" cholesterol) goes way up.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Yay, "one cow does more harm to the environment than my Humvee" - that's the way to go, no denial there!

(btw, seriously, I've never driven a car in my life)

(You'll also have to look up methane emissions from paddy fields and termites to get a fuller picture.)
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

davebones

Post by davebones » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 pm

When I was working as a therapist in a local counseling center, we had retirement and moving on parties for folks leaving our agency. These parties always involved big sheet cakes from the grocery store. A young woman I worked with who was also a vegan would often hand me a piece of cake, explaining that cakes don't come from animals, they come from the bakery. I never argued with that.

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Dinner last night. Roasted veggies on left (butternut squash, sweet potatoes, beets, brussel sprouts), salad in the middle (spinach, romaine lettuce, apples, carrots, celery, yellow pepper, avocado, red onion, spicy Asian peanut dressing), soup on right (barley-lentil, low sodium vegetable broth, low sodium crushed tomato, celery, carrot, green pepper, onion, olive oil, garlic powder, cumin). Two glasses of red wine not shown. :D
Looks pretty good to me!

Return to “The Café”