Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Since I don't want to seem entirely negative about vegan evangelism, I will say that I totally agree that there is a vast difference between eating meat and using it in junk-food; and I agree that there is a problem, and this is where it comes from. To call junk-food food is an insult - just because you put it in your mouth, it isn't automatically food, just edible. You can swallow bubble-gum. That doesn't make it food. I'm sure a lot of people eat junk-food simply as a cure for boredom, not for any nutritional purpose. I think the general idea is that the fat content masturbates the tactile-pleasure centres in the brain. How you can synthesise a healthy alternative, I don't know, but it's worth investigating.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:26 pm
I'm sure a lot of people eat junk-food simply as a cure for boredom, not for any nutritional purpose. I think the general idea is that the fat content masturbates the tactile-pleasure centres in the brain. How you can synthesise a healthy alternative, I don't know, but it's worth investigating.
What works for me as a great snack food while watching TV (or other snacking situation) is chips/crackers with hummus. I've found two types of great chips at Trader Joe's, one is corn-flax seed based, the other is corn-quinoa-black bean based. Both are quite low in sodium, moderately low in fat, yet they really taste amazingly delicious! A lower fat, lower sodium alternative is the whole grain WASA cracker which is offered with several grains (multi-grain, wheat, rye). By themselves, the WASA crackers are a little dry and not abundantly flavorful, but they pair extremely well with a topping like hummus. I make my own hummus, it's so easy and it's soooo good! Chick peas, sesame paste, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, water, olive oil.....then blend together in a food processor. Other additives can be incorporated to change the color and flavor (white beans, beets, cranberry, etc). Anyway, the chip/cracker/hummus snack is really quite nutritious (grain+bean=complete protein), not horrifically caloric or sodium-y (is that a word? lol!), and at least to my taste buds amazingly delicious! As with any snack food, the key is to keep the portion size reasonable. And, in keeping with the Great American Tradition, I do admit to sometimes going a bit overboard with this snack food! Just means more time on the bicycle the next day.....:wink:

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Yeah, I used to work in a Greek restaurant in the 80s. But it's easier to buy tinned hummus and keep adding olive oil until it's the consistency I like. There are people who eat the stuff when it's like nearly set plaster of paris. Some people are just plain crazy!
Although I'm pretty sure I've developed a garlic intolerance over the last few years, so maybe I should buy a food processor and make my own. Or maybe there's zero point in garlic-free hummus. Oh, and why not grill yourself some pitta bread instead of eating chips?

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:06 pm

The generic garlic that's in the stores these days are a far cry from real garlic. I can't imagine what the powdered version hails from, which is probably what they put in pre-made hummus. I am with riff... Hummus is so easy to make, and it's fun to add things to fresh hummus.
物の哀れ

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:43 pm
Oh, and why not grill yourself some pitta bread instead of eating chips?
Sure! Great way to mix it up! Although I do like the "crunch" of those chips and WASA that I mentioned.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:29 pm

chiral3 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:06 pm
The generic garlic that's in the stores these days are a far cry from real garlic. I can't imagine what the powdered version hails from, which is probably what they put in pre-made hummus. I am with riff... Hummus is so easy to make, and it's fun to add things to fresh hummus.
I use fresh garlic most times, but Trader Joe's also sells a nice jar of minced garlic which makes for a nice "convenience factor" when I'm cooking (which is just about all the time!). Using garlic infused olive oil works nicely in hummus, too!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:33 pm

My pasta sauces are now so rich that I don't bother putting garlic or wine in them any more.

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Petemayo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:42 pm
ashworth wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:13 pm
I've been largely vegan for awhile now, have considered going full vegan. Since I've transitioned to plant-based diet, I feel so much better—and have also lost right around 50 lbs, and have kept it off easily for a long while. I think the science for the vegan diet being the way to go is pretty convincing.
You might like:
https://nutritionfacts.org/
Thanks! That's a great source of information, indeed.
- Donnie

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:49 am

Garlic is as good as ten mothers**. And since I've discovered fresh peeled garlic at a local grocer, there's no stopping me now. All ten mothers go into the hummus, and soup.

**this is the name of a film by Les Blank.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:25 am

You have got to try this smoothie receipt: plant based Vega One all- in-one shake (get on Amazon) has no stevia, mix it with almond milk, vanilla and sweeten it with Pure Monk Fruit (don't use too much). It's a no sugar smoothie without the whey protein and is delicious and very healthy for you esp. if you're only eating veggies. Gives you plenty of energy and is diabetic friendly.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

montana

Post by montana » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:27 am

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:37 pm
Andrew Fryer wrote:
I'm sure a lot of people eat junk-food simply as a cure for boredom, not for any nutritional purpose. I think the general idea is that the fat content masturbates the tactile-pleasure centres in the brain. How you can synthesise a healthy alternative, I don't know, but it's worth investigating.
What works for me as a great snack food while watching TV (or other snacking situation) is chips/crackers with hummus. I've found two types of great chips at Trader Joe's, one is corn-flax seed based, the other is corn-quinoa-black bean based. Both are quite low in sodium, moderately low in fat, yet they really taste amazingly delicious! A lower fat, lower sodium alternative is the whole grain WASA cracker which is offered with several grains (multi-grain, wheat, rye). By themselves, the WASA crackers are a little dry and not abundantly flavorful, but they pair extremely well with a topping like hummus. I make my own hummus, it's so easy and it's soooo good! Chick peas, sesame paste, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, water, olive oil.....then blend together in a food processor. Other additives can be incorporated to change the color and flavor (white beans, beets, cranberry, etc). Anyway, the chip/cracker/hummus snack is really quite nutritious (grain+bean=complete protein), not horrifically caloric or sodium-y (is that a word? lol!), and at least to my taste buds amazingly delicious! As with any snack food, the key is to keep the portion size reasonable. And, in keeping with the Great American Tradition, I do admit to sometimes going a bit overboard with this snack food! Just means more time on the bicycle the next day.....:wink:
At the risk of getting kicked out of this post . ....have you tried subbing peanut butter for sesame paste? It's good .

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

montana wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:27 am
riffmeister wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:37 pm
Andrew Fryer wrote:
At the risk of getting kicked out of this post . ....have you tried subbing peanut butter for sesame paste? It's good .
Yes! Almond butter too!! Another amazingly delicious spread....walnut-lentil "pate". Toasted walnuts, cooked lentils, thyme, rice vinegar, minced garlic, chopped onions, lemon juice....blend in food processor. Yummilicious and healthy!!

montana

Post by montana » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:49 am

On my way to the kitchen!

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:25 am

You left out the best, most delicious ingredient of all: Hemp Hearts...which is shelled hemp seeds. Gives your smoothie a rich, nutty taste...it's high protein with a lot of vitamins and minerals...and has nothing to do with the leafy part-guaranteed not to get you high.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:13 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:25 am
You left out the best, most delicious ingredient of all: Hemp Hearts...which is shelled hemp seeds. Gives your smoothie a rich, nutty taste...it's high protein with a lot of vitamins and minerals...and has nothing to do with the leafy part-guaranteed not to get you high.
We use hemp "milk" in our morning coffee. Hemp hearts, a splash of vanilla and agave, water, blend in high-speed blender. Easy, delicious, healthy!

Return to “The Café”