Chet's Guitar?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

Re: Chet's Guitar?

Post by soltirefa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:45 am

Here's another guitarist, Tommy Jones, playing a Kirk Sand guitar.

https://youtu.be/8U-d7dltobM

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Nice. Too fast for me but the harmonics are beautiful. I've checked out Sand's instruments but still haven't found this exact guitar.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:16 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 pm
Nice. Too fast for me but the harmonics are beautiful. I've checked out Sand's instruments but still haven't found this exact guitar.
'\
This exact guitar could have been a one of... The video looks like it's from Austin City Limits and a good audience for guitar promotion.
check out/
http://www.sandguitars.com/prod_nylon.htm

The closest and most attainable is probably a used Gibson Chet Atkins ce.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Wesjr1 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 pm
The guitar looks very much like a version of the Chet Atkins Gibson CE. The bridge shape and the headstock shape are similar to the Gibson but those on the Sand are shaped somewhat differently. However, the 4 slider bars on the upper bout don't appear in any photos of the Gibson CE that I've seen online, but are on some of the Sand guitars. I played around in Photoshop with some screen grabs from the video of the closeups of the sound hole and headstock. While the video and resulting still images were blurry and hard to read, the sound hole has printing which looks very much like the words "Chet Atkins" and the headstock looks like the logo there says "Gibson". As I said though, the images were hard to read completely accurately.

From the Sands website ...
As Chet mentions in “Me and My Guitars”, “I liked it so well I started playing it. To avoid any problems with Gibson, I had a Gibson decal put on the headstock of it. Then I persuaded Gibson to make a deal with Kirk and they started making the guitar using his design. It was to become one of my favorite guitars, especially for recording”.

andywiz

Post by andywiz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:23 pm

When Gretsch failed to back Chet's attempts to develop an electric nylon string guitar, he teamed up with Gibson and luthier Hascal Haile to produce the CE and CEC models. The Gibson Chet Atkins CE and Gibson Chet Atkins CEC appeared in 1981, with the difference in fingerboard targeting those who were coming from a steel-string background (and wanted a narrower fingerboard) and those coming from a classical background. There was also a studio version with a longer scale length and no sound hole. Later came the solid bodied steel string version of the guitar, the SST, and it is that model that tended to have the sliders seen on the one he is playing in the video. There were many prototypes along the way and this appears to be one of them, a sort of hybrid between the CE/CEC and the SST.
Last edited by andywiz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:41 am

Aha. Thanks andywiz. That makes sense. It's the sliders on the front that have been throwing me since they don't appear on the Gibsons.

Return to “The Café”