Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Peskyendeavour
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Peskyendeavour » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 pm

I don't drink very often at all - that's why I'm a complete light weight.
Just come back from the pub therapy and somewhat tipsy...
Remembered on the forum somewhere folk were saying lets learn Sor Op 60 together... So I turned the page to Op 60. Starting from 1 - sight reading through them - having SO much fun!
3 is an all thumbs rest stroke masterpiece right? Half way through...
This is so much fun!
:ivresse:
The real question is, is this the alcohol speaking and will it be as easy when I return to sobriety? or I'm just not noticing my mistakes or when drunk you are more relaxed so may actually play better?
Of course I'm not in a state to tell :lol: :lol:
Any of you do drunken guitar playing? This is my first time since last time was years ago before I started the guitar and become guitar craze...
Hope everyone is of age here and I'm not leading anyone astray, or going to be kicked off the forum for my once every several years of drunken post

Andrew Pohlman
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 pm

lolz - the rule in rock 'n roll is to stay one beer behind the audience! And to answer your question, I never play drunk. I will play rock with one beer on board. But classical - zero alcohol for this kid.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

User avatar
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:23 am
Location: Blaine, WA

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Funny, I just read on The Onion today that most exercise in America is done drunk. I'd hazard a guess that most or nearly all guitar playing is as well. That is if you don't count stuffy classical players. Someone should study that.
https://www.facebook.com/TheOnion/video ... 657814497/
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

User avatar
rikart
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by rikart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:46 am

The guitar too? So, not just the piano has been drinking!
rikart /warwick harte

User avatar
Contreras
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:13 am
Location: In the Wind

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Contreras » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:57 am

Classical goes out the window very quickly after the first double scotch, but the acoustic seems to muddle on regardless. Probably says more about me than the music.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Tubbers
Posts: 2632
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Enumclaw, WA

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Tubbers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:51 am

Ringo said that he did some recording while drunk and when he listened to it the next day he burned the tapes. :lol:
Help!

Peskyendeavour
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Peskyendeavour » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 pm
Funny, I just read on The Onion today that most exercise in America is done drunk. I'd hazard a guess that most or nearly all guitar playing is as well. That is if you don't count stuffy classical players. Someone should study that.
https://www.facebook.com/TheOnion/video ... 657814497/
Wow! What a coincidence!
What a piece of news...

Yeah I am glad that I didn't record anything as I might have to burn it too... but it sounded fine at the time and I was having so much fun it really doesn't matter right? ;-)

Interesting some of you say you won't do classical while drunk - and yet it was the exact thing i went for... though it was prompted by reading forum threads earlier in the day so I blame the forum!

Should have gone for blues... easy strumming jazz. flamenco... well, next time some years later I'll see if I remember that advice.

Andrew Pohlman
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Peskyendeavour wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 pm
... Interesting some of you say you won't do classical while drunk ...
I should have said I don't anymore. I have tried playing while "under the influence" a few times and it was terrible! Classical is just more difficult and I just can't do it without full faculties. And I was feeling like I was damaging my muscle memory by the sloppy playing. Maybe not, but I thought that. Not worth it for me. Nowadays I keep practice and drinking separate.

So tonight after practice, I'm opening a bottle of Cline 2014 Zinfandel. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by bear » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:23 am

Peskyendeavour wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 pm
I don't drink very often at all - that's why I'm a complete light weight.
Just come back from the pub therapy and somewhat tipsy...
Remembered on the forum somewhere folk were saying lets learn Sor Op 60 together... So I turned the page to Op 60. Starting from 1 - sight reading through them - having SO much fun!
3 is an all thumbs rest stroke masterpiece right? Half way through...
This is so much fun!
:ivresse:
The real question is, is this the alcohol speaking and will it be as easy when I return to sobriety? or I'm just not noticing my mistakes or when drunk you are more relaxed so may actually play better?
Of course I'm not in a state to tell :lol: :lol:
Any of you do drunken guitar playing? This is my first time since last time was years ago before I started the guitar and become guitar craze...
Hope everyone is of age here and I'm not leading anyone astray, or going to be kicked off the forum for my once every several years of drunken post
There was a study done back in the '60's. A group of students studied under the influence of some substance and were tested sober, and did poorly. A group of students studied under the influence of some substance and were tested under the influence and did well.
The conclusion was that if you study stoned take the test stoned.
Personally, I find that I always sound better after a glass or two of wine.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

User avatar
Guitar-ded
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm sure I remember in another thread somewhere, the idea that being able to play a piece well while sloshed was mooted by someone :wink: as possibly becoming the official Delcamp test for how well you actually knew that piece.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Peskyendeavour
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:07 pm
I'm sure I remember in another thread somewhere, the idea that being able to play a piece well while sloshed was mooted by someone :wink: as possibly becoming the official Delcamp test for how well you actually knew that piece.
Ah! I didn't know about testing how well one knows their pieces - so I was just randomly doing some sight reading and having a raw go at it playing each piece no more than twice or three times on the more difficult ones.

I won't say I "know" any of the pieces well at all after that either nor about details, just sight reading fun and new stuff to play.

So some long time after, I'll have to remember to try something I already played / practicing and see how it goes...

User avatar
Peter Lovett
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am
Location: Hobart Australia

Re: Drunken guitar Sor therapy

Post by Peter Lovett » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 am

Could be a whole swag of factors coming into play; more relaxed (so not tensing up on the difficult bits), not expecting to play well so "damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead", in a happy frame of mind so don't mind the odd lapse. However, it might just all be perception; I'm happy so this is great.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Return to “The Café”