The importance of posture to guitar success

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Erik Zurcher

Re: The importance of posture to guitar success

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:03 pm

A few years ago I witnessed a masterclass from French guitarist Gabriel Bianco. He started by placing his guitar on his lap, held up his hands and said: "Look no hands!" His guitar was perfectly balanced. Then he said: "All I have to do, is wrap my arms around my guitar. Both arms and hands have now maximum freedom of movement. Any pressure from your arms or hands to hold your guitar, influences your tone. Balance is crucial!"

I tried this at home using my foot stool. No matter how I tried, I couldn't manage to balance my guitar. Then I bought an Ergoplay and found the balance. Conclusion: good posture should result in a balanced guitar without having to correct it with arms or hands. If you can't manage this with the traditional foot stool, try a Dynarette cushion, Ergoplay or other contraption.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 am

I stumbled onto this masterclass with William Kanengiser the other day where he works with the student on her posture. This should start at 7:21.

https://youtu.be/-lOmzMCnyzg?t=7m21s

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 pm

The William Kanengiser video above is very good and helpful, thanks!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Return to “The Café”