Travel Guitar?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mickmac

Travel Guitar?

Post by Mickmac » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

I travel regularly for work and frequently find myself in a budget hotel room in some godforsaken business park near a provincial town somewhere with nothing to do except listen to music on my laptop.

I'm considering buying a travel/silent guitar to entertain myself. Any thoughts on a good buy? Anything I should watch out for? It would need to fit in airplane overhead locker.

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Travel Guitar?

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 pm

There are a few different flavors - and they tend to be more expensive than one would think.

There is this style - the Traveler Guitar brand:
travelguitar.jpg
Or this one (the Anygig brand) that can be fully intonated and all for about US $200:
travelguitar2.jpg
Then there is the "Baby Taylor" style - essentially an 3/4 size steel string (or an overgrown 6-string ukulele). Then there are the "backpacker" style shrimpy-wimpy, like the Martin Backpacker available in steel or nylon strings. The sound generally sucks on this type, but there are many varieties of the "backpacker" type:
travelguitar3.jpg

Yet another style is a full sized guitar that disassembles for transport, and "reassembles easily" at your destination. These I don't like due to the mess of dealing with strings during reassembly.

I have tried all of them at the stores but bought none. My favorite is the Anygig brand. But go out to a music store and pick them up and play them. Pick the one that suits you. You can also consider what I have recently done: buy a baritone ukulele - super small, easily transportable, same upper 4 strings as your standard guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 pm

I think there are 4 categories: a (non-)silent guitar with a (non-)detachable neck. Each of these categories has its (dis)advantages and I would first decide on the category and then on the model.
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:51 am

I suggest that you order a Soloette. The original, and still the best, silent guitar. It comes with a really good travel bag, fits in the overhead storage, and is better constructed than the rest. It's also the most expensive silent guitar, but prices have come down a good bit. You can order one from Roscoe Wright's (inventer/luthier) website. He's a great luthier, and a great guy. I believe his electronics on the Soloette are proprietary. The build quality is much better than say, for example, Yamaha.

ragdoll serenade

Post by ragdoll serenade » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:00 am

I have flown at least a dozen times with a laminated top guitar in a gig bag. It's easy to find the equivalent of a Yamaha C-40 or something like that for less than a hundred bucks used. Soft bags take up way less room than a regular case and will fit in most overheads. At times the attendant has put it in a closet for me. I've had to gate check it a couple of times, worrisome but it worked out.

razz

Post by razz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:51 am
I suggest that you order a Soloette. The original, and still the best, silent guitar. It comes with a really good travel bag, fits in the overhead storage, and is better constructed than the rest. It's also the most expensive silent guitar, but prices have come down a good bit. You can order one from Roscoe Wright's (inventer/luthier) website. He's a great luthier, and a great guy. I believe his electronics on the Soloette are proprietary. The build quality is much better than say, for example, Yamaha.
I agree. My Soloette has been with me to most of the lower 48 state. I bought it in 2002. Today (I no longer travel for work), it stays in a cabinet in my office so I can practice at lunch.

I saw one advertised on Reverb not long ago. You might find a deal on a used one.

davebones

Post by davebones » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:26 pm

I just ordered the Yamaha SLG200NW classical silent guitar. After looking at Soloette (too expensive) and others which use a strap to hold them, I decided the Yammy offered me an instrument which I can use in my normal playing position. As a relatively new convert to classical from electric I need my practice to be as consistent as possible. I also wanted something I could run through my amp, since I am in the process of selling off my electrics, and won't have them when I want to play jazz/contemporary stuff.

There are used silent guitars on the market, but you probably want one with a full width classical neck.

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:55 pm

I have a Aria soloette, a martin backpacker, and just purchased a Cordoba mini. The mini is a lot of fun, less complicated than the soloette, sounds better than the backpacker. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Return to “The Café”