Good music sense

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Re: Good music sense

Post by dory » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:33 pm

You and your teacher may have a personality conflict. You should not study with someone who "loathes" you. The meaning of this term in English is maybe stronger than you intended to say, but if you sense your teacher doesn"t like you, go away and find someone else. I think I am one of my teacher's favorite students. That isn't saying much because I think most of his students are his favorites. He is that type of person. You need to find someone with a similar attitude-- who makes all of his or her students feel respected at the least. I have a poor sense of rhythm too but with my teacher's help am getting better.
Dory

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm

My first thought was that this is someone trolling. My second thought was that if you are not a troll and you have been studying for several years and cannot understand or play in time, perhaps your teacher was just being honest and didn't want you to waste your time or money on something for which you clearly have no aptitude. Teachers have the prerogative to accept or decline students. This is common practice for many good/great teachers who chose only the best applicants for lessons. In a former life, I wanted to study with Joe Daly, Chicago Jazz Saxophonist, and before he would even talk to you, you needed to memorize all major/minor/harmonic and melodic scales and play them fluently when he called out their names. If there was any hesitation, you went back to the woodshed and someone else got your place. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

dory

Post by dory » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:02 am

There are teachers who work well with relative beginners and those who do not. Obviously Rognvald has studied with the second kind. My teacher is the first kind-- infinitely patient I think. Find someone kind and patient. They exist. I don't have bad feelings about teachers who take only high end students.They train professionals. The rest of us need teachers too and they exist.Tonight I was playing and I thought I didn't sound too bad. (No, I won't be mistaken for Sharon Isbin and not just because she wears more expensive clothes than me.) It has taken me a long time to reach "not too bad." It will take a lot longer to reach "oh, my, that is really remarkably good." It has taken my teacher a lot of patience. Find someone like him.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:02 am

There are teachers who work well with relative beginners and those who do not. Obviously Rognvald has studied with the second kind. My teacher is the first kind-- infinitely patient I think. Find someone kind and patient. They exist. I don't have bad feelings about teachers who take only high end students.They train professionals. The rest of us need teachers too and they exist.Tonight I was playing and I thought I didn't sound too bad. (No, I won't be mistaken for Sharon Isbin and not just because she wears more expensive clothes than me.) It has taken me a long time to reach "not too bad." It will take a lot longer to reach "oh, my, that is really remarkably good." It has taken my teacher a lot of patience. Find someone like him.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:03 am

Oh, again. I am truly sorry. I seem to be making a habit of this. I think I clicked the button twice.
Dory

Return to “The Café”