Whackiest guitar techniques

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
rikroberts

Whackiest guitar techniques

Post by rikroberts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:52 pm

Hesitated to share this....but it could be a revelation for composers and guitarists alike....

A few years ago, I took a break from guitar practice, fancied a snack and dipped a few chopped carrots into a tub of hummus. Some must have still been left on my RH fingers, as when I picked up the guitar again, the instrument had turned into something between a thumb-piano and an exotic African stringed instrument. It sounded awesome - percussive, muted and quite haunting.

I wanted to take this further so I smeared small amounts of hummus onto the treble strings, near the bridge and continued to play some of my own African-influenced pieces. The result was other-worldy, especially on an electro-classical guitar with some reverb.

Careful with your 10k guitars doing this....hummus might ruin that French-Polish!

Anyone else got strange techniques they've discovered?

tyke

Re: Whackiest guitar techniques

Post by tyke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:46 pm

(double post)
Last edited by tyke on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyke

Post by tyke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Pass me the Marmite ... :)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Interesting. I know one superquick guitarist who used to place a knob of butter on the headstock to put on his fingers while playing, but humus on the strings is another thing. I might try some experiments.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm

rikroberts wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:52 pm
Hesitated to share this....but it could be a revelation for composers and guitarists alike....

A few years ago, I took a break from guitar practice, fancied a snack and dipped a few chopped carrots into a tub of hummus. Some must have still been left on my RH fingers, as when I picked up the guitar again, the instrument had turned into something between a thumb-piano and an exotic African stringed instrument. It sounded awesome - percussive, muted and quite haunting.

I wanted to take this further so I smeared small amounts of hummus onto the treble strings, near the bridge and continued to play some of my own African-influenced pieces. The result was other-worldy, especially on an electro-classical guitar with some reverb.
This is a similar idea to that used in Jürg Kindle's Kalimba and others. Various pieces use techniques of preparation e.g. blu tack, matches or other things between strings, dusters under the strings. I'd suggest using that kind of material, much as I like hummus, it would surely go smelly before long.

The use of grease is a different, thing, to improve smoothness of touch.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm

So, does anyone have any suggestions how I can get the "hummus" sound permanently??? Hummus soaked then baked strings? Don't know....but if someone knew, then you'd have a whole new guitar concept!

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Does it have to be hummus? Or will olive oil on its own produce the same effect?

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Hum along with hummus.
Help!

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Hum along with hummus.
And hope for happiness.

:D
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

slidika

Post by slidika » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Something I saw Sharon Isbin do (and recommended by Parkening, I believe) is dipping your left hand fingertips into warm (or room temperature) water between performance pieces to assist with LH shifts.
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:36 pm

I have a chain with a small round pendant. I inadvertently discovered that if I let it rest of the soundboard of the guitar while playing, it simulates the sound of a heavily distorted guitar. Quite the fun trick for the solo when people ask if you can play 'Stairway'... :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:39 pm

If you want to 'grease' the strings, Fast Fret (or similar) is a product made to lubricate strings (for steel and electric players). You could try that. And perhaps if you wanted the opposite effect, rosin (for bows) on the strings might work.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “The Café”