Milk and beef allergy

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Tomzooki

Milk and beef allergy

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

My husband is now allergic to bovine proteins. I am not talking about lactose intolerancy, I am talking about a life threatening condition. He had respiratory symptoms for a few weeks, and yesterday he had a severe reaction after having drunk a glass of milk, which lead to the medical diagnosis. No more beef meat is the least problem. We can live without it. But Hubby loved cheeze, ice cream, pizza, butter, etc...... And the other problem is that it is an allergy, so even traces can trigger a reaction, and because it is an uncommon allergy in adults there is no precautions taken in restaurants, so no more restaurants.... An incomprehensions from people that will think he just has to take Lacteeze and it is OK....

I looked on the web for recipes source without bovine proteins, or simply without lactose. It was really frustrating; I noticed that "lactose-free" or "dairy-free" cannot go without "gluten-free", "egg-free", "vegan", "paleo"....... So no real source of what I look for. I will have to select one by one the suitable recipes, and/or adapt recipes. And bannish bovine proteins from most of my own alimentation because, as I said, it takes only a trace...

Sorry to bother everyone, I just needed to talk about it. :(
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Andrew Fryer

Re: Milk and beef allergy

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Nasty - there's gelatine in a lot of things where there shouldn't be gelatine. And there's a nasty trend towards treating chicken with beef protein too. Let's hope goat's and ewe's cheese don't have calf rennet in them!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:13 pm
Nasty - there's gelatine in a lot of things where there shouldn't be gelatine. And there's a nasty trend towards treating chicken with beef protein too. Let's hope goat's and ewe's cheese don't have calf rennet in them!
Gelatine does not seem to be a problem so far. The way they process animal carcasses to produce it denatures proteins a lot. We don't know yet how far goes that allergy; the doctor told Hubby to avoid also calf meat (of course), porc, lamb, and soya product (risk of cross-reaction) until he gets tested for the allergy antibodies. With a little chance maybe he will be able to eat some cheezes. He had not noticed any reaction following cheeze consumption. Maybe cooked products are OK. But for now milk, ice cream, beef meat (he always eated it rare, almost raw), and the dog's food (his hand got numb and tingling if he touches it...) are triggers for sure.

I hope they are not treating chicken with beef protein in Canada!! I doubt so, because the cost of beef meat skyrocketted recently, but chicken remained cheap. It would be nonsense to boost cheap chicken with costly beef! But they could use soja....
Yamaha GC-3A

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:48 pm

It is bad if he can't even eat soya - I'm an omnivore, but I like to make a tofu curry now and then. I'm glad to hear that cheese hasn't affected him yet, but it seems odd, and so perhaps the results of tests will reveal something less drastic than you feared. Best wishes!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Wow, this is going to be a challenge! I recently switched to a vegan diet, it was not hard to do and I love the foods I am eating now. But to remove all traces of animal and dairy proteins at all times....that will be challenging. Tomzooki, I wish you and your husband all the best and I hope you can find a doctor or other health care professional with the proper knowledge to help you through this!

dory

Post by dory » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:04 pm

This IS a real problem. The one bright light in your life is the vegan community. Once your husband gets tested maybe you can look on the internet for vegan sites that examine meat contamination of vegetable products. So far it seems you don't know how extreme his allergy is. You may be able to get sources of really pure soy. Most vegans are somewhat relaxed but a few are very militant-- perhaps a more fair word is scrupulous-- and that community can give you sources for things that have no trace of animal products in them. It is going to be hard. I imagine things like commercial bread are now off limits although I imagine there is vegan bread. I love almond milk and drink it despite no milk allergy. Coconut ice cream is delicious. Until you figure out if your husband can eat goat and sheep milk cheese look for Kite Hill almond cheese. Unlike most vegan cheeses it actually tastes good, although sadly it is quite expensive.You can get it at Whole Foods if you shop there. I really hope since you are omnivores that you can find other animal proteins he can eat. Small farms may be your best ally. I am very sorry you are dealing with this. It is very hard, but will probably not be impossible. Was he bitten by a tick? I heard some tick bites can cause weird meat allergies.
Dory

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:57 pm

"I can't believe it's not butter" was in the beginning my best friend... but now I can't believe I was so addicted to this product. Lots of alternatives available! nowadays a lot of blogs and recipes available to help you guys.

Just curious, what about fish and shellfish? He could be ok?

Have him test his allergies in a year and on a regular basis, this may go away (and hopefully nothing else will pop up).

Best wishes!
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:52 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I looked on the web for recipes source without bovine proteins, or simply without lactose. ...
Italian or Indian receipe books would be a good starting point. If there are decent, genuinely Italian run or Indian run restaurants in the vicinity, they may be worth a go. Italian is possible the better option as olive oil is the fat of choice.

One of the places where you would not expect gelatine is orange juice but some brands in germany were using it.

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 am

As a vegan for many years now, I found that living meat and dairy free (or in your husband's case beef and dairy free) is not difficult at all. There are many, many recipe books out there now.Vegan before 6 by Mark Bittman and anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz are ones I like.

There is plenty of options around soy margarine, ice cream, yoghurt and milk substitutes. Vegan cheese though is mostly gross unfortunately. My advice is not to try meat/dairy substitutes however but to seek recipes that do not include them to begin with.

My wife still eats meat and we regularly do prepare separate meals. If you plan ahead it's not a big deal.

Eating out is an issue. Vegan options are very limited. Can't tell you how sick I am of eating mushroom risotto. Middle Eastern, Indian and Mexican seem to offer the best choices. French restaurants are the least accommodating in my experience.

I think the biggest issue will be psychological. Your husband is giving up these things not through choice. However give him a little time to discover vegan foods he enjoys and things will improve for him. Good luck!

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Sorry but the pathology here is bunk...He never had a history of these allergies. His reaction was to a single glass of milk. Did you happen to save the milk for testing?

Respiratory problems from a single glass of milk? Sure anything is possible, but not having a history of intolerance and suddenly the house comes tubmling down, does not make much sense.

Maybe it was the milk sample and not all milk in general. Given the random nature of this event, I think the underlying issue is more than just an intolerance to lactose.

Something is going on in the gut, he could have had an ongoing mild infection for months even years for this to develop. Giving up meats and dairy is not a bad idea, but it's not magic bullet. Eating near raw meat could also create a nice bacterial party in the gut.

He's got something else going on in the GI tract. Just my two cents...

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:31 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm
Sorry but the pathology here is bunk...He never had a history of these allergies. His reaction was to a single glass of milk. Did you happen to save the milk for testing?

Respiratory problems from a single glass of milk? Sure anything is possible, but not having a history of intolerance and suddenly the house comes tubmling down, does not make much sense.

Maybe it was the milk sample and not all milk in general. Given the random nature of this event, I think the underlying issue is more than just an intolerance to lactose.

Something is going on in the gut, he could have had an ongoing mild infection for months even years for this to develop. Giving up meats and dairy is not a bad idea, but it's not magic bullet. Eating near raw meat could also create a nice bacterial party in the gut.

I can agree with a slightly different twist :: antibiotics. Here in the US, antibiotics and widely abused by animal growers. We have found that when "strange allergies" pop up, suspect antibiotics. It is far more likely that some penecillin derivitive or one of the decendants like amoxicillin, methicillin, etc, are the root cause. Some foods are notorious for allergies: peanuts, tree nuts, gluten, soy, etc. And you could be allergic to beef, but the frequency of that if very very low.

Now as for solutions, assuming beef is the culprit: pork. European pulled pork, Mexican carnitas tacos, pork chops, pork fried rice, German rollbraten(sp?) with dark pork gravy ... I have to stop. I'm making myself really hungry!

Be hapy you can't go to restaurants. I find the only restaurants that make foods I can't cook myself are too expensive for my budget! Stay home and get good at cooking ! Save money. Better nutrition. Less gasoline consumption. Yeah, you have to do dishes, but that is a lesson in humility. Cook at home - you can't lose!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:14 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm

It may not have been the milk. There has been in the news here recently cases of people becoming suddenly allergic to meat due to having been bitten by a little bugger called the Lonestar Tick. It's so called due to having a white spot, or star, on its' back. A google of the name should bring up the info.
For instance -

news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/tick-bite-meat-allergy-spreading-spd/

PUBLISHED June 21, 2017

Alpha-Gal may sound empowering, but the nickname, short for galactose-alpha-1, 3-galactose, is a sugar molecule that might just cause you to become allergic to meat.

The sugar molecule is spread from the Lone Star tick bite, named for the Texas-shaped marking on its back. Once bitten by a Lone Star tick, the body's immune system is rewired.

"You're walking through the woods, and that tick has had a meal of cow blood or mammal blood," explained Cosby Stone, an allergy and immunology fellow at Vanderbilt University. "The tick, carrying Alpha-Gal, bites you and activates your allergy immune system."

From this, your body creates Alpha-Gal antibodies and, from that point on, the body is wired to fight Alpha-Gal sugar molecules. The majority of people who develop Alpha-Gal allergy syndrome realize their illness after eating meat, which is rife with Alpha-Gal. The sugar is also present in some medications that use gelatins as stabilizers.

"There's a time delay in the reaction," said Stone, which accounts for why some people don't always immediately realize they're have a reaction. "It [the Alpha-Gal] has to first travel through your gastrointestinal tract to be released. Hours later, patients wake up with hives, shortness of breath, vomiting, and diarrhea."

In rare cases, patients have to be admitted to the ICU.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:49 pm

I'd say it is an evolutionary matter - we perhaps evolve beyond the need for products that cause hurt to other beings? I used to eat cheese (was brought up vegetarian & have NEVER tasted dead flesh) but once I gave it up, the eczema I had had all my life, cleared up overnight.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:05 pm

In one or two weeks he will have blood test to determine precisely which protein is the culprit. He had unexplained respiratory symptoms for several weeks before the big reaction. And he was drinking exagerated amount of milk for several weeks too...... He always had problems with food, unable to eat normally. Always on the exagerated side. He could eat a whole box of cookies, or a whole box of icecream, and the day after he would start what I call a "diet of the month". He would put himself on a diet which he created by himself, based upon infos he found on the web, and of course adapted to his taste (always without fruits and vegetables....) There was the cetogene diet, the adaptation of it being feeding himself tons of bolognaise sausage, the 100% protein powder in almond milk diet, and the last one, the "ton of milk" diet. He could drink up to 4 liters of milk in one day.... I was constantly telling him that one day he would pay for it, one of his diet will cause a health problem. Strangely I was insisting more on that recently when he was drowning himself with milk, more than with his baloney diet. Probably because he was indeed not feeling well, having respiratory problems.

Even now he denies that he probably get allergic because he exagerated on milk. I agree it is not the only factor, but if he was a little hypersensitive at the begining, with almost no symptoms, an intense exposition to allergens can explain maybe not the "why", but explain the "when"...
Yamaha GC-3A

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:27 pm

kirolak wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:49 pm
I'd say it is an evolutionary matter - we perhaps evolve beyond the need for products that cause hurt to other beings? I used to eat cheese (was brought up vegetarian & have NEVER tasted dead flesh) but once I gave it up, the eczema I had had all my life, cleared up overnight.
Recently there was a big study run in Israel, involving several families followed for many years, concerning peanut allergies. One grup of famillies were asked to avoid completely peanut products in the first year or two years of live of the kids (dont remember the details), while the other group were asked to introduce peanut as soon as the infant could begin to eat puree. the result? Tadam!!! The kids that were fed peanuts did NOT develop peanut allergy, while there were several cases of allergies in the group that avoid peanut at an early age.

It is counterintuitive, but when you understand how the immunitary system maturate in the infant it makes a lot of sense. At the beginning the immunitary system (IS) can attack anything and everything, the IS cells being made randomly. Then it maturates, meaning there is a triage where a distinction between the "self" and the "non-self" is made and the "self" recognizing IS cells are destroyed. "Self" means of course our own body, but also the normal environnement. The "non-self" are of course not destroyed because there is chance they may recognize an ennemy (bacteria, virus, etc). Understand here that none of those cells are created to attack a specific ennemy, none are made to attack the flu virus or a SARM bacteria. Our body simply produce billions of somewhat different imature lymphocytes, hoping that one of them could recognize the ennemy. When it does happen the lymphocytes that, by pure chance, can recognise it then begin to multiply, improve their potency against the ennemy and form what we call an "immunitary memory". That is the principe behind vaccine, and why we can catch most contagious disease only once.

I strongly think that your cheeze intolerancy is not a matter of evolutionnary process, but is simply because you were not exposed to dairy products when an infant.... Cow milk was not part of your environnement, so your body, during the maturation process, did not destroy the lymphocytes that could potentially attack milk proteins
Last edited by Tomzooki on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha GC-3A

Return to “The Café”