A new take on performance anxiety

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Steve Kutzer

Re: A new take on performance anxiety

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm

I forgot where I read it (maybe here on Delcamp), but the problem is at its worst for the solo performer. We are a pack animal, and being all alone on stage is as if we are surrounded by predators. I know for me, even a duet partner makes a huge difference in my level of anxiety.

It's funny how it's all in the head. Just thinking about this as I type, I can feel a spike in anxiety.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: A new take on performance anxiety

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 am

When I practice alone and just think about playing the same piece for my teacher, who is warm and mellow and non-judgmental--I start to screw up. supposedly it's good to visualize practicing in front of people. I'm starting to "visualize" how it FEELS to not be anxious playing in front of people. "Visualize" may not be the right word here.
i guess that I want to find a place where being connected with the music overcomes feeling anxious with playing in front of people.

It's simple, really. Here's a little study by Tarrega. It's beautiful. Here's the calm heart of beauty, carrying the day.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “The Café”