The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
User avatar
twang
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:57 am

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by twang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm

I'll be in Nova Scotia on my Lear jet wearing an apricot scarf.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

a human
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:37 am
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by a human » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 am

To get to totality, I have to drive five hours to the NC hinterlands, or 150 miles on I95 on eclipse day. Traffic will be wild! Rooms are hard to come by. I can say for certain, I ain't doing that. 93% for less than 3 minutes of totality will do me just fine.
Last edited by a human on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1187
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:21 am

Wasn't the last one in like 1979? I was just a kid. I ordered some glasses with the proper certification that turned out to be fakes. You could see household lights through them. I am just going to stay inside with the drapes closed. I'm not going to risk my eyesight seeing how I don't know where to get the real glasses.

Wesjr1
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 am
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 am

twang wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm
I'll be in Nova Scotia on my Lear jet wearing an apricot scarf.
Will Carly be with you?
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

gitgeezer
Posts: 2248
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Southeastern U.S.

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:21 am
Wasn't the last one in like 1979? I was just a kid. I ordered some glasses with the proper certification that turned out to be fakes. You could see household lights through them. I am just going to stay inside with the drapes closed. I'm not going to risk my eyesight seeing how I don't know where to get the real glasses.
Here are some of the reputable vendors of solar glasses provided by the American Astronomical Society from the link I posted earlier. Their glasses are ISO certified.

7-Eleven
Best Buy
Kroger
Lowe's
REI
Toys R Us
Walmart

The complete list is here: https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

gitgeezer
Posts: 2248
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Southeastern U.S.

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Bad news for me. The long range weather forecast shows rain and thunderstorms throughout the eastern portion of the eclipse path for August 21. This would be exceedingly unlucky. In previous years the rainy season was well over by this time and we were suffering drought. I can only hope that this time the forecast is wrong.

gitgeezer
Posts: 2248
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Southeastern U.S.

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Another article on fake solar eyeglasses:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-solar ... SKBN1AQ15R

khayes
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by khayes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:54 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:21 am
Wasn't the last one in like 1979? I was just a kid. I ordered some glasses with the proper certification that turned out to be fakes. You could see household lights through them. I am just going to stay inside with the drapes closed. I'm not going to risk my eyesight seeing how I don't know where to get the real glasses.
Here are some of the reputable vendors of solar glasses provided by the American Astronomical Society from the link I posted earlier. Their glasses are ISO certified.

7-Eleven
Best Buy
Kroger
Lowe's
REI
Toys R Us
Walmart

The complete list is here: https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
...and plenty of ISO glasses available from Amazon
Ken

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1187
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

khayes wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:54 pm
gitgeezer wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:21 am
Wasn't the last one in like 1979? I was just a kid. I ordered some glasses with the proper certification that turned out to be fakes. You could see household lights through them. I am just going to stay inside with the drapes closed. I'm not going to risk my eyesight seeing how I don't know where to get the real glasses.
Here are some of the reputable vendors of solar glasses provided by the American Astronomical Society from the link I posted earlier. Their glasses are ISO certified.

7-Eleven
Best Buy
Kroger
Lowe's
REI
Toys R Us
Walmart

The complete list is here: https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
...and plenty of ISO glasses available from Amazon
Amazon is where I bought the ones that were fake.

khayes
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by khayes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm
khayes wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:54 pm
gitgeezer wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am

Here are some of the reputable vendors of solar glasses provided by the American Astronomical Society from the link I posted earlier. Their glasses are ISO certified.

7-Eleven
Best Buy
Kroger
Lowe's
REI
Toys R Us
Walmart

The complete list is here: https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
...and plenty of ISO glasses available from Amazon
Amazon is where I bought the ones that were fake.
Sorry - I don't quite understand. You bought some in 1979? From Amazon?
Ken

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1187
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm

khayes wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:08 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm
khayes wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:54 pm

...and plenty of ISO glasses available from Amazon
Amazon is where I bought the ones that were fake.
Sorry - I don't quite understand. You bought some in 1979? From Amazon?
No, I bought the glasses from amazon a month ago. I remember about 1979 was the last time I saw an eclipse. I was in grade school and they made everybody go outside to look at it. We used welders glasses.

khayes
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by khayes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Laudiesdad69 - how did you determine they were fake?
Ken

Wesjr1
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 am
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:17 pm

khayes wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm
Laudiesdad69 - how did you determine they were fake?
Nothing less bright than the sun itself should show through the glasses if they are legitimate. If you can see normal household incandescent or fluorescent lights through them, no matter how dimly, they are unsuitable for solar viewing (when not looking directly at the sun, you should only see blackness through them).
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Wesjr1
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 am
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm
Bad news for me. The long range weather forecast shows rain and thunderstorms throughout the eastern portion of the eclipse path for August 21. This would be exceedingly unlucky. In previous years the rainy season was well over by this time and we were suffering drought. I can only hope that this time the forecast is wrong.
I also live in the S.E. US and just looked at 5 different weather sites for their 14 day forecasts for my area. Literally, all 5 showed different forecasts, ranging from "partly cloudy with no rain" to "90% chance of rain". So, don't lose the faith--do a dance to the weather gods for good viewing that day.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

khayes
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by khayes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Wesjr1 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:17 pm
khayes wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm
Laudiesdad69 - how did you determine they were fake?
Nothing less bright than the sun itself should show through the glasses if they are legitimate. If you can see normal household incandescent or fluorescent lights through them, no matter how dimly, they are unsuitable for solar viewing (when not looking directly at the sun, you should only see blackness through them).
Thanks! Mine are showing solid black when I look at lesser lights than the sun. :D
Ken

Return to “The Café”