The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Re: The Solar Eclipse is Nearly Upon Us!—August 21!

Post by dory » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:47 pm

All the webpages looked at were sold out. Then I found glasses-- of all places at the supermarket that actually seem to be the real thing. I bought two-- one for me and one for my husband. I can't see absolutely anything through them. I have not yet looked at the sun.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:49 pm

My glasses are ISO certified. I got them at Hyvee supermarket. They had a lot. I realize there are not Hyvees everywhere.
Dory

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Just wanted to alert everyone to an unfortunately named line of sunglasses— "Solar Shield." I saw these at my local Publix store and my first thought was that they were solar eclipse glasses. Not so. A brief inspection showed that they were just regular sunglasses. I feel certain that neither the manufacturer nor the store intended to deceive. It's just a potentially misleading trade name at a time when people are looking for eclipse protection glasses.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Here's further evidence that eclipse glasses from Amazon are not necessarily safe. I just got this email from Amazon informing me that eclipse glasses I purchased through them (claimed to be certified) may not be safe and warning me not to use them. They are refunding the purchase price, but not requiring that they be returned. Well, at least they got it right in the end and corrected the situation. But now I wonder about the other pair of eclipse glasses I bought from them.

"Hello, 

We’re writing to provide you with important safety information about the eclipse products you purchased on Amazon (order #[number deleted] for Solar Eclipse Spectacles - Shade 14 Goggles CE Certified Safe Sun Viewing, Adjustable One Size Fits All, Better Than Glasses! Solar Filter and Viewer (Black)).

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers.  Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness.  

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer.  We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account).  There is no need for you to return the product. You can view your available balance and activity here: [link deleted].

For more information about safely viewing a solar eclipse please see the NASA and AAS websites.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please pass along this information to the recipient. 

We hope to see you again soon. 

Sincerely, 

Customer Service"

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:57 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 pm
Here's further evidence that eclipse glasses from Amazon are not necessarily safe. I just got this email from Amazon informing me that eclipse glasses I purchased through them (claimed to be certified) may not be safe and warning me not to use them. They are refunding the purchase price, but not requiring that they be returned. Well, at least they got it right in the end and corrected the situation. But now I wonder about the other pair of eclipse glasses I bought from them.

"Hello, 

We’re writing to provide you with important safety information about the eclipse products you purchased on Amazon (order #[number deleted] for Solar Eclipse Spectacles - Shade 14 Goggles CE Certified Safe Sun Viewing, Adjustable One Size Fits All, Better Than Glasses! Solar Filter and Viewer (Black)).

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers.  Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness.  

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer.  We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account).  There is no need for you to return the product. You can view your available balance and activity here: [link deleted].

For more information about safely viewing a solar eclipse please see the NASA and AAS websites.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please pass along this information to the recipient. 

Sincerely, 

Customer Service"
Wow! I just received the same email notice.
Ken

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Hundred mile drive for me. I have friends who are part of an astronomy non-profit, setting up sun telescopes. I have my ISO glasses. So here's hoping to good weather. Worried about the traffic, but even if I'm stuck in Atlanta it will be 90% total.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:32 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 pm

"Hello, 

Sincerely, 

Customer Service"

They must have sold a lot of these, I got the same notice. Of course I bought them a month ago and now no one has them.

The film on the glasses seems ok, you cant see anything when you put them on inside. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm

You are fortunate to live in the direct line of this important eclipse! (astrologically speaking!)

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm
Hundred mile drive for me. I have friends who are part of an astronomy non-profit, setting up sun telescopes. I have my ISO glasses. So here's hoping to good weather. Worried about the traffic, but even if I'm stuck in Atlanta it will be 90% total.
I will say it again. 90% total is no better than 70% total. Only 100% total is what you want, otherwise don't bother driving for it. The corona is quite faint. If only 1% of the sun's brightness is still there, you won't see the corona. You will not see the moon's shadow coming at great speed to you, you will not see the pink layer of the chromosphere, etc.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 am

Just got a second notice from Amazon, this one on Meade binoculars with solar filters. Same problem, and once again they are refunding the purchase price.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:44 pm

astro64 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm
Steve Kutzer wrote:
I will say it again. 90% total is no better than 70% total. Only 100% total is what you want, otherwise don't bother driving for it. The corona is quite faint. If only 1% of the sun's brightness is still there, you won't see the corona. You will not see the moon's shadow coming at great speed to you, you will not see the pink layer of the chromosphere, etc.
My 100 mile drive gets me to totality.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:44 pm
astro64 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm
Steve Kutzer wrote:
My 100 mile drive gets me to totality.
Yes, great, I hope the traffic in Atlanta will cooperate for you! And the weather.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Well, tomorrow's the big day! I've decided to go to the Civic Center in Anderson S.C. They have lots of open grass, plenty of parking, and a terrific men's restroom! At my age, that's important. Heavy traffic is expected on I-85, but I'll leave very early and be prepared to bail out onto alternate routes. Weather prediction has improved since a few days ago, when chances of seeing totality were only "fair." Now the prediction is "mostly sunny" with only 10 percent chance of precipitation.

dory

Post by dory » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:25 pm

We get 88%. There is outdoor water aerobics around the time of the eclipse, so I will go to the pool and hope my cardboard sunglasses don't dissolve.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:12 am

I shared my cardboard glasses with my whole class. We were passing them around. They finally did dissolve but not until we got some great views. The whole communal experience made the whole eclipse more fun, and seeing an eclipse from the water almost nakes up for not seeing the corona.
Dory

Return to “The Café”