Who's had shoulder surgery?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jack Douglas

Who's had shoulder surgery?

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:23 pm

I injured my right shoulder trying to crank a power washer. I didn't realize it had an on/off switch and was attempting to start in in the off position. I felt a pop in my right shoulder and immediate pain. Fast forward a month or so. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me my bone structure is perfectly normal and suggested physical therapy as a first course of treatment. I'm currently working with a physical therapist and while I've made improvement I still have pain that the PT says is not unusual for an injury like mine. He's taken me off playing the guitar until I'm pain free. I'm going into my fourth week of therapy and in my own mind am thinking a date with the surgeon is in my future for an MRI and a next step. The surgeon told me that if surgery is necessary he'll get me back to full use of my shoulder, but the full recovery will take a number of months.
Who's had shoulder surgery? How long did it take to get back to playing? Did the surgery provide complete relief and are you able to play again without any residual issues?
Thanks very much for any sharing of your experience.
Hauser III 2014!

khayes

Re: Who's had shoulder surgery?

Post by khayes » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:37 pm

I had a total shoulder replacement 14 months ago. The surgery was a breeze, in at 6AM and home by 3PM. The actual recovery was 9-12 months according to the surgeon and he was correct. It was probably 6 months before I could really attempt to play again. Reaching around the bout of the guitar with my right arm was very painful. It really set me back - at least that's the excuse I'm still using :) I have to get the left one replaced in January. Both shoulders are arthritic bone on bone in the joint. Hope you can recover without surgery though in your case it sounds like it may be arthroscopic in nature - not saying it should be easier, because I just don't know.
Ken

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:52 pm

khayes wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:37 pm
I had a total shoulder replacement 14 months ago. The surgery was a breeze, in at 6AM and home by 3PM. The actual recovery was 9-12 months according to the surgeon and he was correct. It was probably 6 months before I could really attempt to play again. Reaching around the bout of the guitar with my right arm was very painful. It really set me back - at least that's the excuse I'm still using :) I have to get the left one replaced in January. Both shoulders are arthritic bone on bone in the joint. Hope you can recover without surgery though in your case it sounds like it may be arthroscopic in nature - not saying it should be easier, because I just don't know.
Hi Ken,
Thanks for sharing your experience and the comment about arthroscopic surgery. I'll let you know my progress.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

mike scott

Post by mike scott » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I have had surgery on both shoulders. One was to repair the bicep tendon. That one was on the right and didn't impede playing too much, although re hab was roughly 4 months. I was playing after about 6 weeks. The left was a full tissue tear of the rotator cuff. Once in there he also noted and repaired a torn labrum and a bone spur. I did not play a musical instrument for at least 3 months and was then restricted to mandolin. Guitar was 4 months. Total re hab was 7 months. Now a year later I have no shoulder pain at all. Good to go. I may add, I am 70 years old. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Mike

Play an Alhambra s 1-C, and a few steel strings)

"What me worry!" - quote from the noted philosopher Alfred E. Newman

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:27 pm

I had surgery on both shoulders, but they weren't replaced yet. They did some acromial smoothing and repaired one biceps tendon, and relocated the other. I had about six months time between the two, one was a rotator cuff repair too. I am bone on bone in both of them, and in the next ten to 15 years I may have to have them replaced. I started playing guitar as soon as I got the sling off of my right arm, but had discomfort for about six months.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks very much for the replies. I'm encouraged that if surgery is required I'll be able to get back to playing, but I'll need to be patient.
I'm 70, by the way.
Jack
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

khayes

Post by khayes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:27 pm
I had surgery on both shoulders, but they weren't replaced yet. They did some acromial smoothing and repaired one biceps tendon, and relocated the other. I had about six months time between the two, one was a rotator cuff repair too. I am bone on bone in both of them, and in the next ten to 15 years I may have to have them replaced. I started playing guitar as soon as I got the sling off of my right arm, but had discomfort for about six months.
Hey Laudiesdad69 - may I ask how old are you?
Ken

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:25 am

khayes wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

I'm 48.

khayes

Post by khayes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:26 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:25 am
khayes wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

I'm 48.
I'm 66...you're still young, I was just going to suggest that if replacement is in your future, to think about it before you get too far along in years.
Ken

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:22 am

khayes wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:26 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:25 am
khayes wrote:

I'm 48.
I'm 66...you're still young, I was just going to suggest that if replacement is in your future, to think about it before you get too far along in years.
My insurance won't pay for it yet. But, they can't do what they did to me more than once, so next surgery will likely be replacement, then the insurance will pay I guess.

CT20

Post by CT20 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Jack,
Everything depends on what is damaged and has to be repaired. I'm 64..in April I had total shoulder replacement of the right shoulder. The rotor cuff and tendons and ligaments were in good shape...those take longer to heal than replacing the joint. I had bone on bone in the joint and had even worn away about 1/4" of the socket.
Wore a serious strap down sling for 6 weeks and had to sleep in a recliner. Before surgery I asked the surgeon about playing guitar during my recovery..she asked me to show her my playing position. Said it looked almost identical to the position the sling held the arm in and said it was ok to do carefully. About 2 weeks after the surgery I started playing for 20minutes at a stretch. It was a little awkward and uncomfortable, but it didn't really hurt.
Started physical therapy 6 weeks after surgery. Started biking about a month after that. Started paddle boarding about 3 1/2 months after surgery.
The shoulder and muscles are still recovering strength and are sometimes tight, but no pain. In fact I stopped taking any form of pain killer 2 weeks after surgery.
Oh yeah...I've been able to play without any discomfort since the beginning of July.
Good Luck,
Holt

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury Jack. Hope you recover soon.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:51 pm

lucy wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 pm
Sorry to hear about your injury Jack. Hope you recover soon.
Thank you very much. I'm still hoping Physical Therapy will do the job!!
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 pm

CT20 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Jack,
Everything depends on what is damaged and has to be repaired. I'm 64..in April I had total shoulder replacement of the right shoulder. The rotor cuff and tendons and ligaments were in good shape...those take longer to heal than replacing the joint. I had bone on bone in the joint and had even worn away about 1/4" of the socket.
Wore a serious strap down sling for 6 weeks and had to sleep in a recliner. Before surgery I asked the surgeon about playing guitar during my recovery..she asked me to show her my playing position. Said it looked almost identical to the position the sling held the arm in and said it was ok to do carefully. About 2 weeks after the surgery I started playing for 20minutes at a stretch. It was a little awkward and uncomfortable, but it didn't really hurt.
Started physical therapy 6 weeks after surgery. Started biking about a month after that. Started paddle boarding about 3 1/2 months after surgery.
The shoulder and muscles are still recovering strength and are sometimes tight, but no pain. In fact I stopped taking any form of pain killer 2 weeks after surgery.
Oh yeah...I've been able to play without any discomfort since the beginning of July.
Good Luck,
Holt

Hi Holt,

I haven't given up hope with physical therapy. I feel like I've made some progress in the last few days. I appreciate the sharing of your experience.

Jack

Hauser III 2014!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:11 pm

If you have a hip-replacement, you will be walking the day after, so there's no reason to despair.
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “The Café”