Who's had shoulder surgery?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MessyTendon

Re: Who's had shoulder surgery?

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm

I would leave surgery as a last resort. You might as well play the guitar through the pain, it will either diminish or get worse.

Get multiple opinions...one surgeon is not enough.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 am

Hi Everybody,
After a month of Physical Therapy and continued pain in my shoulder and upper arm I made a second appointment with an orthopedic surgeon who ordered an MRI in advance of our appointment. The results indicate a significant tear of the rotator cuff on top of the shoulder bone. The tear is about an inch and exposes the bone and requires surgery to repair it. If there's good news it's that he can do the repair arthroscopically. He's prepared me for the lengthy recuperating process and that I must follow carefully the after surgery instructions.
On the good news side he told me that I could get back to playing for short sessions until the surgery which, due to scheduling conflicts on my part, will happen in December.
I really appreciate all your kind and thoughtful replies.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:08 pm

All the very best with the surgery Jack. I hope it all goes well. 2-3 months off playing is probably the least you could expect from that sort of injury. Send me your guitar and I'll keep breaking it in for you!

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Jack the only way to know for sure what you need to do to fully recover effectively is to have an MRi so they can really see what is going on in there.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm
Jack the only way to know for sure what you need to do to fully recover effectively is to have an MRi so they can really see what is going on in there.
Hi Jack,
I agree with Dofpic. An MRI will tell what's going on and what steps you should take for recovery.

I'm a Rolfer and i work with soft tissue all day everyday and if the joint is still intact good soft tissue work with PT should get you back to recovery without the need for surgery.

good luck

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi Dofpic and Tim,

I had an MRI (not fun being in such a tight noisy space for 25 plus minutes) and the surgeon was able to evaluate my injury with the benefit of the results. I've been doing physical therapy that included shoulder stimulation and massage for a month with no relief in pain but some improvement in strength. I trust my surgeon and I'm well aware of the long recovery period. Since I'm a hobbyist player and not a professional performer I'm ok with the down time.
Thanks for your input and concern.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:31 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:08 pm
All the very best with the surgery Jack. I hope it all goes well. 2-3 months off playing is probably the least you could expect from that sort of injury. Send me your guitar and I'll keep breaking it in for you!

Haha. Thank you for the kind sentiments. Actually, I've thought about lending it to Charles during my down time to keep it on the breaking in path!
Hauser III 2014!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Good luck with the surgery Jack. Seems like the best solution given the diagnosis. I'll find an excuse to visit Charles ;)

DerekH

Post by DerekH » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Just stumbled across this thread...

I broke my shoulder in 2009 - the ball at the top had a comminuted fracture - bits broke lose - and the ball and humerus (what an ironic name when you've broken your shoulder!) stoved inwards. I was 56 at the time, and the consultant said I was too old to pin it, and too young for a replacement unless it didn't heal. Healing was 6 weeks in a sling (no plaster cast) and then 4 months of physio.

The good news is that if you do the exercises the physio gives you, you're in the top 20% of people who will recover well - most people just can't be bothered to do painful, debilitating exercises 3 times a day. I did. I've got full range of movement, and because my arm was in a sling, I was playing guitar within 6 weeks - I had to stand up, lean forward so the arm and sling fell outwards, slide the guitar up and then sit down.

I broke it on January 21st and played a full-length (2.5 hour concert) on March 14th.

So I'm here to say that magic can and WILL happen...
Nothing in this life is impossible except skiing through revolving doors

Return to “The Café”