Do Masochists Dream of Electric Mowers?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Pat Dodson

Do Masochists Dream of Electric Mowers?

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:08 am

Lawns needing attention, I spent 5 grumbling minutes this morning untieing the mower cable from the handle around which it had fashioned sheepshanks since I last cut the grass. Then 5 further getting the extension lead to spool as it tangled up and jammed on its superstructure.

The next hour was spent in a nightmare of stepping out of mower cable that wrapped itself around my legs and arms and of whiplash from emergency stops as it snagged on fence posts and tree stumps. Much of the time however was spent returning time and again to the extension lead, wall socket or cut out as indeed it had.

How do others cope with these machines of torture? Answers along the lines of "I cut my window box with nail scissors" will be equally as welcome as serious advice. :)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Do Masochists Dream of Electric Mowers?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 am

My lawns have kept growing all summer. That's so naughty of them my technique is to completely ignore them and to assume they are benefitting the local wildlife.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:24 am

Don't mow the lawn - cut the grass instead. I have a friend who insists there's a difference. Otoh, other friends think he's on the spectrum.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 am

I agree that lawn mowers of any kind rank high on the masochism scale, but for me vacuum cleaners still rank higher. Have you considered a cordless electric lawn mower?

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:54 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 am
My lawns have kept growing all summer. That's so naughty of them my technique is to completely ignore them and to assume they are benefitting the local wildlife.
Excellent approach. I quite fancy a wildflower meadow with a lawnmower sculpture.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:24 am
Don't mow the lawn - cut the grass instead. I have a friend who insists there's a difference. Otoh, other friends think he's on the spectrum.
If I follow Stephen's approach I may well have to take the occasional scythe to it. I think your other friends could be right.
gitgeezer wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 am
I agree that lawn mowers of any kind rank high on the masochism scale, but for me vacuum cleaners still rank higher. Have you considered a cordless electric lawn mower?
I fear my lawns are too extensive for a cordless. Or do Tesla make one?

Vacuum cleaners! Hateful things! Ours has an extension tube within the handle, for stairs or some such. Having resisted attempts to free the tube from the handle for a good minute it suddenly let go with a rush causing a dent in my hall ceiling and me to fall on my backside.

doug

Post by doug » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm

I bought a house for my daughter when she was in college, and it was on a small lot. I bought her an electric lawn mower and a heavy duty 100' extension cord, and it worked perfectly. .....plug it in and go. ....no aggravation of trying to start a gas engine that's been setting up all winter. If my lawn was that small, I'd had a cordless electric mower. .....but my yard is just too big for an electric mower to be practical. I have a 52" wide "Hustler Raptor" zero turn mower, and I love it!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE
2009 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640 SP

bear

Post by bear » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:22 pm

I have a tractor and a couple of acres to mow. When the tractor doesn't start, I call someone to fix it. I don't have the time or inclination to repair other machines. These days the cost of repair usually exceeds the cost of replacement.
I put the broken or unwanted item out by the side of the road at the end of my driveway and it's usually gone within an hour.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Zero turn mowers and tractors. Oh the chaos I would cause with either! :lol:

I like your recycling approach Bear. Zero cost. Excellent!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 pm

Eva gave me a massive (unwanted used) Vax wet and dry vacuum cleaner as a flat-warming present. I'd like to replace it with something very small like a Miele cat and dog, but the prices are just plain silly, in my humble opinion.
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm

We have very little lawn; most of our land is left in a natural woodland state. I have an electric mower and use a 50' cord. Our patches of grass are on several levels , which would make the battery-heavy cordless mower a problem because I have to take it up steps. The way I keep the cord from getting in the way and tripping over it is to lead it from the mower over my right shoulder and mow closer to the outlet first, moving further afield which extends the cord that has been laid in a pile on the side closest to the outlet. Having over my shoulder makes it less likely that I will step on it in the turn and also turning in a direction that uses my body to assist in moving the cord out of the way in the next pass. When I get to the point where most of the cable is out, I use the "quick flick" method of moving the cable out of the path; grab the cable and propagate a wave that takes the closer portion of it out of the way.
The thing about cables, ropes and lines, is that you have to "train" them...or rather, you have to train yourself to coil them with the lay. Any line or cable that has hockles has been coiled against the lay of the strands that comprise it. This is a recipe for frustration and trouble! Better to store any such item in a relaxed and passive state...or it will be unruly when the next opportunity presents itself. :twisted:

I use the same method as Bear to rid myself of unwanted items. Amazing what people will take if it is marked "free". Maybe it is a Massachusetts thing...;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:18 pm

The best way to deal with a lawn is to not have a lawn...
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Been using cordless electric mowers for 15 years. B & D make the best that I have used. They can easily handle 1/3 acre, Just keep the blade sharp.
Nothing like being able to have a normal conversation with your neighbor as you mow by.
Now if they could only make a good cordless electric snow blower!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 pm

lagartija wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm
The thing about cables, ropes and lines, is that you have to "train" them
I have a friend who is a bass guitarist who has a very clever way of coiling cables - he does it in a curious clockwise/counter-clockwise pattern. Then you can literally just throw it across a floor and it lands flat, whereas coiling trains them to twist and turn all over the place. I must get him to show me how to do it. Or maybe Youtube it. Hmm, I just looked on Youtube. It doesn't seem to be recommended for power cables, although I can't imagine why not.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Not sure about a Miele cat and dog Andrew though I have considered a goose or goat for the lawns.

Good advice Lagartija and I have briefly used it in the past but I'm forgetful and it's not idiot-proof enough for this idiot.

A cordless electric snow blower. That's genius Kent! If it could also make snow it'd be just perfect!

No lawn. @oski79 Now that is beyond genius. But where will I grow my dandelions?

Return to “The Café”