Do Masochists Dream of Electric Mowers?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Do Masochists Dream of Electric Mowers?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:54 am
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 am
My lawns have kept growing all summer. That's so naughty of them my technique is to completely ignore them and to assume they are benefitting the local wildlife.
Excellent approach. I quite fancy a wildflower meadow with a lawnmower sculpture.
Or I could lend you these two - no batteries or cables required. But you do have to follow them around with a wheelbarrow :lol:
IMG_0567.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 pm
lagartija wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm
The thing about cables, ropes and lines, is that you have to "train" them
I have a friend who is a bass guitarist who has a very clever way of coiling cables - he does it in a curious clockwise/counter-clockwise pattern. Then you can literally just throw it across a floor and it lands flat, whereas coiling trains them to twist and turn all over the place. I must get him to show me how to do it. Or maybe Youtube it. Hmm, I just looked on Youtube. It doesn't seem to be recommended for power cables, although I can't imagine why not.
I knew a guy who ran a music recording studio who did the same and with power cables. But I didn't pay attention. Story of my life really. :roll:

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Here's the video, Pat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg6uIZErSuY

But American power cables are potentially fatter than British ones (half the voltage, twice the current), so perhaps we can ignore the caveat?
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:47 pm
Pat Dodson wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:54 am
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 am
My lawns have kept growing all summer. That's so naughty of them my technique is to completely ignore them and to assume they are benefitting the local wildlife.
Excellent approach. I quite fancy a wildflower meadow with a lawnmower sculpture.
Or I could lend you these two - no batteries or cables required. But you do have to follow them around with a wheelbarrow :lol:
IMG_0567.JPG
Wonderful horses. I can see the wheelbarrow ready in the background. Is it cordless or zero turn? Otherwise I'm bound to mess-up clearing up.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:52 pm
Here's the video, Pat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg6uIZErSuY

But American power cables are potentially fatter than British ones (half the voltage, twice the current), so perhaps we can ignore the caveat?
Thanks! I love this forum! That looks quite addictive; I might be some time.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:07 pm

A dozen tortoises might work like a load of robot vacs?
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm
Wonderful horses. I can see the wheelbarrow ready in the background. Is it cordless or zero turn? Otherwise I'm bound to mess-up clearing up.
I completely didn't see the barrow till you pointed it out! Well, its easy, its biped operated.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:39 pm

I think machines might have a sense of humour.

True story:

Last Saturday I collected my Audi after a full service and M.O.T. Great garage, been faultless for ten years plus. Drive 20 miles home and when almost there the oil light flickers briefly and I'm told to top up. Odd when 7 litres went in that morning after an oil change. Anyway, I added a half litre and waited 10 minutes to check the level (this Audi has no dip stick -except me- and the electronic version needs to limber up it seems.) Checked drive under engine, no sign of leaks.

Early next morning, half way on a 60 mile journey the oil light comes on and screams at me to stop. I do so into a deserted shopping centre. There the engine dumps huge puddles of oil beneath the car. Roadside recovery take 2 hours to arrive and meantime the shopping centre comes alive and the car park fills. An elderly lady falls in the road 20 yards from me and the ambulance delays the recovery truck from reaching me for 45 minutes. Lady seems OK.

Cracked oil filter housing. Coincidental with garage changing the filter? Who knows; I won't make a fuss, they are good poeple.

Car lifted 50 miles to my car repairer but lorry sat nav takes us onto a z shaped narrow bridge that we cannot get over. Huge fun reversing off it and then a 10 mile detour. Get home 6 hours later. Put kettle on. Fill cafetière. Pour self cup of nearly boiling water (forgot to put coffee in cafetière.) :roll:

mike scott

Post by mike scott » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Shoot! I thought this thread was a take off on Blade Runner ( Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?). However, just get a cordless mower.....
Thanks, Mike

Play an Alhambra s 1-C, and a few steel strings)

"What me worry!" - quote from the noted philosopher Alfred E. Newman

DenisJ_III

Post by DenisJ_III » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm

lagartija wrote:
Any line or cable that has hockles has been coiled against the lay of the strands that comprise it.
Did any other (British) English speakers have to look up 'hockles'? The meaning seems evident from the context, but when I looked it up to be sure the first English definition is a from a Northumbrian dialect verb 'hockle' / 'hockling' - to spit, or spitting.

Divided by a common language yet again, apparently. :)

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:28 pm

:merci: all for the advice and gentle humour.

Regards

Pat

Cass Couvelas

Post by Cass Couvelas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:08 pm

I once spent a pleasant quarter hour or so watching a small motor mower that was driverless and cordless (no minder in sight) mow with great care and intent a patch of muncipally-owned parkland in Prague. It reached the side of the area (defined by a 6in wall) and immediately set off at another angle.

I never worked out whether the angle at which it set off was related to the angle at which it collided with the retaining wall. But however it did it, it did a good job of covering the whole area. I never did find out what happened when its little hopper reached maximum grass-cutting content. Stopped and waited patiently for a human to unload it, presumably.
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:48 pm

:lol:
Common nautical term...probably originally British. ;-)
DenisJ_III wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm
lagartija wrote:
Any line or cable that has hockles has been coiled against the lay of the strands that comprise it.
Did any other (British) English speakers have to look up 'hockles'? The meaning seems evident from the context, but when I looked it up to be sure the first English definition is a from a Northumbrian dialect verb 'hockle' / 'hockling' - to spit, or spitting.

Divided by a common language yet again, apparently. :)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Great topic. I am payed by a friend to mow his property and I use his cantankerous, hard to start, old Ford diesel tractor (I love it) that has the big brush hog attachment. Over the winter the grass gets to about 6 feet high and it's like riding a wave as I plow through it. No matter what though, there is always something hidden in the grass that I missed on the last go round and I usually end up with a flat on the rear tire. The front tires are solid, so no worries there. Berry bushes also draw a lot of blood. This year I was way out back (it's 4 acres) and there was a rolled up 1/4" fence cable hiding in the grass and when that got caught in the blades it was like being in a NASCAR wreck. :lol: I had to use my Makita grinder to get it all unraveled. I also feel sorry for the field mice who are running for their lives. :(
Help!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 pm

We have two ShopVacs and both of the motors sound like screaming banshees. :twisted: I have to use ear plugs with them.
Help!

Return to “The Café”