Looking for ideas for practice related furniture

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
twang

Looking for ideas for practice related furniture

Post by twang » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm getting itchy to get back in my workshop. I want to build something for my practice space; something to hold my guitar related paraphernalia; or at least some of it.

- Small but readily accessible spaces to hold and organize tuners, nail files, clippers, capos, metronome, pencils, on so on.
- Integrated music stand with wings able to display at least 4 sheets.
- Music storage. I have one main binder for my music but often have a few stacks of loose stuff for sight reading or materials, ear training, or arrangements in progress.
- A space for my support cushion when I'm not playing.
- A small writing surface or spot for coffee.
- Small enough to be easily movable; or on casters.

It could even be two pieces. I'd love to hear (or see) ideas.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

bear

Re: Looking for ideas for practice related furniture

Post by bear » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I'd start with a roll top desk. I made something similar from reclaimed wood (formerly a chicken coop). I still have the part with all of the cubby's. It sits on the top of a library table. I fill it with all those little pieces of receipts, notices and things that I don't have a place for.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

doug

Re: Looking for ideas for practice related furniture

Post by doug » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:31 pm

I use a Manhasset orchestra stand for my music. I like it because it has two lips on the bottom......the top one holds the sheet music, and the bottom one is a little 2" wide "shelf" where I keep my tuner, nail file, sanding pads, pencil, Wite-Out, red marker, etc. My stand isn't wide enough for 4 pages of sheet music, but you can get one that is. On the floor beside it, I have an end table (ordered it from the big river site.....had to look up what it was....."Winsome Wood Beechwood End/Accent Table Espresso") I keep my laptop on it, and it's still marginally wide enough to use as a writing surface.....and, more importantly, hold my coffee cup. It has one drawer where I keep things like capo, kitchen timer, extra string sets, guitar care products and cleaning cloth, etc. Below the drawer it has one door, inside which I keep notebooks with sheet music. It's about 19" wide X 14" deep X 25" high.
If I were going to build one, I'd make it slightly higher....desk height....and slightly wider. .....but I'm not a furniture builder.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

Return to “The Café”