A big No from the examiner in abrsm grade 4

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
As02

A big No from the examiner in abrsm grade 4

Post by As02 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 am

Continue for Grade 5? Or quit?

kloeten

Re: A big No from the examiner in abrsm grade 4

Post by kloeten » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 am

What were the arguments of the examiner?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:55 am

Depends on so many things. Most obvious route would be to learn whatever lessons are required and to take IV again. Without that, the danger is a bigger no from Grade V.
As the above post, what were the comments and the mark breakdown, and assuming you have a tutor, what did they say about them? Were they predicting a pass?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 am

Did you do grade 3, and how did that go? (is it impertinent to ask what scores you got?)
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:32 am

"There is no failure, only feedback"

... said someone who probably got smacked in the mouth on a fairly regular basis.

If it was me I don't think I'd just plough on with grade 5 - I would try and take on board the examiner's comments, as the others have suggested, and either do grade 4 again or maybe go in at a lower grade.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:27 pm

Do you have a teacher? If so, did they advise you to enter for the exam? Perhaps you need a new teacher.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 pm

In the 70s when I did ABRSM on piano and oboe, I think you weren't allowed to take an exam if you didn't have a teacher, but maybe it's a false memory.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 pm
In the 70s when I did ABRSM on piano and oboe, I think you weren't allowed to take an exam if you didn't have a teacher, but maybe it's a false memory.
I'm fairly sure you would have been able to if you'd really wanted to, as it was just a matter of getting the forms and sending them in with payment. The overwhelming majority of candidates have always been put in by teachers so that would probably create the impression you have remembered.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Did you do OK in your grade 3 or were there problems with that too? You did do it, didn't you?
Go over the examiners' comments with your teacher and re-do the grade to get that under your belt before hitting grade 5.
Was it the case that your teacher expected you to pass and you got nervous and screwed it up (it happens) or was it a stretch getting to 4?
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:59 am

Let me think. Giving up after one attempt. We would just about be moving from the stone age into the bronze age.
Historicalguitars.

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:34 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:59 am
Let me think. Giving up after one attempt. We would just about be moving from the stone age into the bronze age.
That made me smile but it's rather harsh on what is a genuine question.

As someone who has just scrapped through a grade 3 pass I totally understand why you might wonder if it's worth the anxiety, extra time commitment and cost.

Personally, even if I had failed I would have taken it again as I recognise the benefits it gives me - a clear focus, exposure to pieces I otherwise might not have known about, wider aspects of technique and performance, and many more.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:01 am

If i were you I would ask myself a more fundamental question: do I enjoy the instrument I'm playing? What do I get out of it?

If answer is Yes, and Much... etc etc...
Then never give up.

Then, I ask the next set of questions: why am I taking exams? Do I need to take the exam and why? Do I need that RSM piece of paper?

Of course if you give positive answers (whatever they may be) to these then, try again.

But equally, you may find that it may not be necessary to do exams to enjoy an instrument. There is always choice and the path is yours to take. Don't let outside pressures make you do something you don't want to.

I can understand the personal investment, time and effort put into each exam attempt. However it is in our failures that we learn. It is not in our successes that we feel achievement but in fact if the bar is not set high, and it's a walk over, then it's not worth bothering. If you decide to do exams again, a pass next time or three times down the line would mean true improvement and attainment. It means that piece of paper was worth its ink and seal.

I hope you have/ find a good teacher who would encourage you. A good teacher (not in music) once said to me, it is more of an achievement to see a student who struggled to finally get to their goal. If it was so easy then why bother? It's not worth it and should have aimed for something even higher.

Hope you find your true path.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Since I see that you are 42 and likely don't require the exams, why bother? Just take lessons and play for the fun of it all! Who cares what level you play at? Just work to play the pieces that you enjoy and keep working to get better to handle more and more pieces that you want to play.

I am not one for the formality of the grade program. The grade program is good when you are young and have no idea of what music to play that is appropriate for your skill level. But as an adult who is just trying to enjoy the guitar, you don't necessarily need to be as rigid. I think I have all the Royal Conservatory books from grades 4 to 8 and I just play pieces out of each as I feel like it, along with a large assortment of other pieces and books that I have gathered over the years. To be honest, I find there are pieces in some of the grade 6 stuff that are harder than the pieces in the grade 8 stuff! So, I am not always sure what they are thinking when putting these things together. Then again, I have always found that each individual person "gets" different things at different speeds. Some people are great in arpeggios, but yet can't do other things as well as someone who is horrible at playing arpeggios. So, its tough to make these graded approaches.

Anyways, I hope you just stick with the guitar and enjoy it. Don't put so much pressure on yourself!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:50 pm

This thread is only going to work as a dialogue, I suspect, As02, so please try to answer questions, unless you are one of those people I envy who only use the internet once a week. Exams are very useful for recording one's objective progress, even if one doesn't intend to use them (or rather working for them is a good way to structure your work). It is possible that As02 is not yet subjectively judging his level accurately. Generally, you should do an exam if you would not be ashamed to play the pieces before a paying, albeit to a charity, audience. You shouldn't continue to grade 5 unless you know what went wrong and are prepared to correct it, and if you don't know what went wrong and you don't have a teacher (which seems likely), then you should really get one.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Working towards an exam does give you focus though, not to mention experience of playing under pressure. The fact that you get a list of pieces imposed on you sounds like a bad thing, but a balanced list should force you to deal with any weaknesses, whereas if you choose your own pieces you can just avoid them. I certainly feel that I have benefited from playing pieces I wasn't crazy about, and in the long run will actually get more out of guitar because of it.

You gotta love these threads where the OP totally loses interest but everyone else debates their situation :D

And what AF said (which I didn't see until I hit submit).

Return to “The Café”