A big No from the examiner in abrsm grade 4

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
muirtan

Re: A big No from the examiner in abrsm grade 4

Post by muirtan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:50 pm
This thread is only going to work as a dialogue, I suspect, As02, so please try to answer questions, unless you are one of those people I envy who only use the internet once a week. Exams are very useful for recording one's objective progress, even if one doesn't intend to use them (or rather working for them is a good way to structure your work). It is possible that As02 is not yet subjectively judging his level accurately. Generally, you should do an exam if you would not be ashamed to play the pieces before a paying, albeit to a charity, audience. You shouldn't continue to grade 5 unless you know what went wrong and are prepared to correct it, and if you don't know what went wrong and you don't have a teacher (which seems likely), then you should really get one.
That's what my teacher does. he also strucutres what I learn so that each new piece contains elements I need to improve on. Added to that I have a much wider range of pieces to choose from as we are not tied down to any syllabus. I don't need exams to motivate me either just playing a piece well is enough motivation for me.

Return to “The Café”