New Guitar! Question for multi guitar owners

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Charles Mokotoff

New Guitar! Question for multi guitar owners

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:44 am

I just took possession of a brand new spruce/balsa/cedar by Glenn Canin. Its fabulous. For the first time in my guitar life (going back about 40 years now) I am strongly considering owning TWO concert guitars. The other is my 2017 cedar/balsa/cedar Toni Mueller which is also, quite simply, one of the best guitars I have ever played. Nice problem to have!

If you own two excellent concert guitars (not counting my trusty Cordoba beater) what do you do when a gig comes? Play the one you are currently using? Go back and forth? Decide based on the venue, etc?

I am very curious to know what others, lucky as me, do when performing and owning two fantastic guitars.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: New Guitar! Question for multi guitar owners

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Pictures and clips please?

First off the new one may take a while to play-in, then you may find that they differ in different repertoires. You could also take both and swop during the programme esp if radical tunings are involved like Koyunbaba et al.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:54 pm

First off, it really doesn't matter so much about the quality of the guitar. I've said before, and will say again, that I am confident I would not recognize a "fantastic guitar" if it jumped up and bit me on the ear. I've owned a bunch of guitars which were/are suitable to my playing style and skill-set, and I've resold four times as many (or more!) that I decided were "not for me" for some reason or another. And usually the sales were generated by a petty / foolish reason at that, or simply boredom.

That being said, when I have a performance I tend to go (A) with whichever guitar I've been playing the most, (B) one that will fit best if it's a duo or larger context, or (C) the one with the freshest strings.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Having multiple guitars is compensation for only being able to have one wife (except of course in David's state)!
I tend not to take out my most expensive instrument on a "date", just in case it gets mishandled. All my guitars sound better than I do anyway, so they never limit the quality of the performance....

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:19 pm

Not that I am a concert performer, but I do regularly perform in a public setting. When I had multiple guitars, I always just practiced and played on my favorite guitar. Even though I had several that were great in their own right, there was always one I liked a bit more, which is probably why I ended up downsizing to one guitar in the end. I think it is important to practice and perform on the same guitar for obvious reasons.

In your case, I'd probably just pick the guitar that you either find the most enjoyment with or the guitar that is most suited for your repertoire.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Excellent and thought-provoking replies, thank you!
Some pictures at the shop a few days before shipping:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi, Charles,
I own two concert guitars: Brune and LoPrinzi Cedars. I also own an Esteve 1GR08 Cedar. I am a performing musician but do not play concerts but rather at weddings, wine festivals, restaurants, and clubs. I would never take my concert guitars to one of those venues since there is a high chance of accidental damage. Also, there is always some rocker in the crowd that wants to dazzle the crowd with his three chord repertoire in "C" . . . or "E" and just happens to carry a pick in his pocket for the impromptu occasion. (As an aside, there is NEVER an open mic opportunity at any of my gigs as they are a recipe for disaster and guaranteed "job killers.") I bought the Esteve as a "gig" guitar and have tweaked the bridge and nut for excellent playing and response. It is a very nice guitar with a very good sound for its cost but I would not be crestfallen if something happened as I would on my concert guitars. However, if I were playing a true concert gig, I would play my other guitars depending on my chosen repertoire. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald P.S. Your spruce is a very beautiful guitar. Congrats!
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:33 pm

dory

Post by dory » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:54 pm

I do not own concert guitars and do not play concerts. However, one member of our society is a high profile fingerstyle player who also does classical. I have noticed that when she does concerts she usually brings four or more guitars. She seems to prefer particular guitars for particular songs. I do not know why.
Dory

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Charles very easy in my mind. If a concert and not a "gig" bring and play both. Use spruce for early music, Bach though Classic period. Even Mertz. Then use the Cedar for romantic, tarrega, albeniz, villa lobos etc and for modern works just pick what suits the music best. Congrats and the Weiss sounds great on that guitar.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Don't you also have a John Dick's double top?viewtopic.php?f=11&t=104365&start=15#p1110976

I just happened on that thread a few days ago looking for info on the FW55090 fret wire.

You sure you don't have more guitars than you want to admit? :mrgreen:

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Ha! Nah, my typical model is sell the older one. Serial behavior 😉 But the Mueller and Canin just too good to let go.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:29 pm

eyedoc wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:24 pm
Having multiple guitars is compensation for only being able to have one wife (except of course in David's state)!
In my case, there's a lot more truth to that than meets the eye, Doc. By my best estimate, I've bought and re-sold over 60 guitars of all types (plus three lutes and two mandolins) in my life, from $80 to $8000. I have seven instruments now, and there are two of them which I am looking at and wondering "are you just occupying closet space...?"

On the other side, I've had one wife for 36 years now. One wife, multiple guitars, and all is well. :)
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 am

One wife for 33 years here, but still have 13 guitars.....very hard to sell them off as you well know.
I still really enjoy playing at least 11 of them. Changing strings, on the other hand, is a chore, as I do them all every 6 months and clean the frets, oil the fretboard.
Have a spreadsheet to keep track of it....

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 am

eyedoc wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 am
One wife for 33 years here, but still have 13 guitars.....very hard to sell them off as you well know.
I still really enjoy playing at least 11 of them. Changing strings, on the other hand, is a chore, as I do them all every 6 months and clean the frets, oil the fretboard.
Have a spreadsheet to keep track of it....
We are quite alike, you and I, even to the spreadsheet tracking thing!!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “The CafĂ©â€