New Guitar! Question for multi guitar owners

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
CathyCate

Re: New Guitar! Question for multi guitar owners

Post by CathyCate » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Some problems are good problems. Congratulations on the new arrival. It is great to have a choice!

I have 2 really nice classical guitars + 1 beater and an electric. That totals 4. Generally the nature of the gig dictates which instrument gets to go. For volume: it's the Gibson, Chet Atkins + amp. If kids or adults acting like kids will be on the premises: the beater (an Asturias with frequent flyer miles) comes out of semi-retirement. That leaves the Chaffin and the Culpepper. If time permits, I enlist an extra set of ears during rehearsals. [You may want to have someone listen to you play your instruments in various settings. This may be a way to help you figure out what the people in your audience will experience. Then choose accordingly.] The Chaffin most often wins the day for solo work. The Culpepper for ensemble. Life is good.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:27 pm
Charles very easy in my mind. If a concert and not a "gig" bring and play both. Use spruce for early music, Bach though Classic period. Even Mertz. Then use the Cedar for romantic, tarrega, albeniz, villa lobos etc and for modern works just pick what suits the music best. Congrats and the Weiss sounds great on that guitar.

If a performance is truly about providing the ultimate music experience, then it makes perfect sense to use an instrument which best conveys that experience. However, the performer must, in my opinion, be comfortable with using multiple instruments and not need to make any significant mechanical adjustments on stage to achieve the desired musical results. There are a decidedly different feel and unique characteristics to my three guitars and when I'm going to perform, I will play the chosen guitar, exclusively, at least a week before the performance if possible. Perhaps others will not have a problem making an adjustment and, in that case, multiple instruments would not be an issue. However, many players choose to explore all the possible sounds of their chosen instrument and use this exclusively as many top concert performers do today. I think the proverbial proof is in the pudding. Finally, your new instrument has real noticeable clarity and I'm sure will open up nicely the more you play it. That was a beautiful piece and you played it very well with nice interpretive nuances. What was the name of the piece? Playing again, Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Congratulations Charles, very nice. The Weiss sounddd lovely - I can't wait for a recording in a few months in your favourite church with your favourite recording engineer.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:29 am

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 pm
Congratulations Charles, very nice. The Weiss sounddd lovely - I can't wait for a recording in a few months in your favourite church with your favourite recording engineer.
You bet!

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 am

That was the Weiss Tombeau for Baron Hartig.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 am

Really beautiful, Charles!
Hauser III 2014!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:21 am

I never performed much, but when we had the ensemble still going here I would usually stick with one guitar for the semester through the performance and switch the next semester. Not that it made a huge difference. In a good hall, most instruments will sound good and do well. That is a nice instrument, by the way, glad to see you are still switching them up and keeping that spruce sound in mind too...

Intune

Post by Intune » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:19 pm

The sound of your Canin is glorious right out of the box, Charles, and should ascend to "heavenly" when fully played in. Surely a keeper for all time. Choosing between that and the Mueller is is tough one....how about leaving it up to eeney-meeney-miney-mow? Congratulations!
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Can't help but notice the B on the tie block is angled differently than the other strings. What's the idea behind that?

Last edited by SteveL123 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Probably the extra ties are there to avoid string dings.
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:48 pm

eyedoc wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 am
One wife for 33 years here, but still have 13 guitars.....very hard to sell them off as you well know.
I still really enjoy playing at least 11 of them. Changing strings, on the other hand, is a chore, as I do them all every 6 months and clean the frets, oil the fretboard.
Have a spreadsheet to keep track of it....
I would not get very much value out of my money on strings if I had that many guitars!
If I pick up a guitar and play it only a couple times and then let it sit for some time while I give attention to other guitars, then when I get back to that guitar the bass strings will be totally corroded by the sweat/crud left by my fingers. The trebles would probably still be fine though.

Two main guitars plus a beater or two works OK for me. If I stagger the string changes then I'll at least have one that stays in tune while the other is settling in with new strings.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

eyedoc wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 am
One wife for 33 years here, but still have 13 guitars.....very hard to sell them off as you well know.
I still really enjoy playing at least 11 of them. Changing strings, on the other hand, is a chore, as I do them all every 6 months and clean the frets, oil the fretboard.
Have a spreadsheet to keep track of it....
I can relate. I am really good at buying guitars, not so good at selling them. They're just all so beautiful, each one is so unique, and it's probably rooted in a cognitive bias in reality. I had one cedar that I only kept in York's non-standard tunings to only play his songs. I have another that lives in drop D to play Celtic sounding music. Every year at the Woodstock luthiers festival I chat with the guys at American Music Furiture and convince myself that I need to buy a big guitar habitat. Haven't ordered one yet.

Beautiful guitar Charles. I've heard your playing - you could make any guitar sound good - I am sure this one really sings under your fingers.
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

Intune

Post by Intune » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Charles, since both of your "keeper" guitars are double-tops with balsa rather than Nomex core construction (a number of which you've also owned but have moved on from), is it fair to say you prefer the tone of balsa to Nomex DT's? Can you make any generalizations about the difference in sound between them, or any other differences you care to mention? Or is it simply a matter of preferring certain double-top luthiers over others regardless of the soundboard materials used?
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 pm

I never noticed the 2nd string on the bridge in that photo...whatever Glenn had going on there, he fixed it when he sent me the guitar.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for all the comments!
There is definitely a difference with balsa, typically less double top artifacts...the Mueller has very little and the Canin none.
Very generally, the balsa DTs are more natural sounding and, in many cases, louder. Though two guitars I know, my old Dammann and a Redgate I played for a few days, were both incredibly loud nomex DTs.

Return to “The Café”