Is there any correlation between IQ scores and CG playing?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Laudiesdad69

Is there any correlation between IQ scores and CG playing?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:27 am

Do any of you know whether or not there is a correlation between IQ scores and whether a person would score higher on IQ tests if they were moderately good as a CG player, versus players of other instruments, or people who don't play musical instruments at all? It's just a question that I have, as I have taken two IQ tests in my life.

One test was when I was in high school, and I had just started dabbling with my first guitar for about six months. The other was quite recent, and my score was 20 points higher than the one in high school. I don't know if it means I am any smarter than I used to be, or if I have just got better at taking Tests?

I wonder what someone like Bream or Williams would Score? Or how about Andrew York?

Rasputin

Re: Is there any correlation between IQ scores and CG playing?

Post by Rasputin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:17 am

I think CG people are just people. If you gave them all IQ tests I'm sure you'd get a whole range of scores.

At university a friend of mine was expecting to have to do IQ-type tests to get into a graduate programme, so he got hold of a test yourself book. He was pretty intelligent and got a high score on the first one, but the interesting thing was that the score went up - a lot - as he worked through the book Knowing that, it wouldn't surprise me if your score had gone up (although with only two scores, it could easily be a fluke - you could have just had an off-day the first time or whatever) but I don't see any reason to chalk it down to CG.

I sometimes wonder if it works the other way, in fact - i.e. if giving more of your brain over to musical stuff reduces the purely abstract thinking you can do, if there is such a thing. At the moment I don't think this is true...

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:27 am

One test was when I was in high school, and I had just started dabbling with my first guitar for about six months. The other was quite recent, and my score was 20 points higher than the one in high school. …. or if I have just got better at taking Tests?
IQ tests basically show how good you are at doing IQ tests.
At best you can say that they are measuring contextual intelligence. The context being Western "middle class ecology" - i.e. how you function in a 1st world developed economy.

Of course that is an internet armchair opinion. :-) I assume that if you read up on the stuff there are no doubt dozens (probably 100's) of different kinds of tests which test for specific skills and may be quite reliable in their own contexts. You can improve your score in any test simply by repeating it often enough - doing tests is in itself a learning exercise.

My sister had one professor in the university who came in any day one and handed the students a list of 20-30 questions (essay type exams - not multiple choice) and said the list included all questions that would appear in their final exam. Of course the list in fact covered every topic in the course. :-)

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am

I think the safest correlation between "guitar players" and "IQ" is that all guitar players have IQ. :desole:
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:40 am

tormodg wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am
I think the safest correlation between "guitar players" and "IQ" is that all guitar players have IQ. :desole:
Check out Andrew York's site. He usually has a tricky math problem on his site. Apparently he is a member of the nine, nine, nine club. The thing that puzzles me is that my score supposedly means I should be able to do it, but I've never been taught that level of math. Does the testing take education into consideration? Does it take a high degree of smarts to play CG at all? I'm amazed when I look at member profiles, when I see the professions that are given. I'm sure that all the members must have relatively high scores, but what I wonder is does it take a higher degree of intelligence to play a musical instrument, such as CG, to begin with?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:42 am

Oh and the second test I took was after learning to play CG.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:52 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:40 am
Does it take a high degree of smarts to play CG at all?
No!
I'm amazed when I look at member profiles, when I see the professions that are given. I'm sure that all the members must have relatively high scores, but what I wonder is does it take a higher degree of intelligence to play a musical instrument, such as CG, to begin with?
If there really are a lot of members who belong to professions that require a high level of education / intelligence, it just means that people who get into CG tend to be from backgrounds that make it easy to get into those professions. How many black male tennis players can you think of, and is that because of the athleticism / lack of athleticism in that demographic, or is it to do with the way tennis is perceived?

Elitism threatens the long-term survival of the instrument, and in the meantime it keeps talented people away. Also, it's just nasty. Let's not dress its consequences up as proof that we are special.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:01 pm

I believe it has been demonstrated that for plucked instruments, IQ is directly correlated with the number of strings. Players of the 13-course Baroque lute are geniuses. Players of the ukulele and banjo?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:01 pm
I believe it has been demonstrated that for plucked instruments, IQ is directly correlated with the number of strings. Players of the 13-course Baroque lute are geniuses. Players of the ukulele and banjo?
Holy crapoly! And I still play a wash-tub bass with one string only!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:30 pm

And air-guitarists are the dumbest?
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:01 pm

I was only getting on my high horse cos I'm a committed air guitarist.

Feel better now...

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:30 pm
And air-guitarists are the dumbest?
I believe air guitarists are exempted, on the basis that their mental aberrations make it difficult to obtain a valid intelligence quotient. One-string players are testable, but have difficulty finding their way to the test center.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:16 pm

1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm

I am pretty sure that there should have been studies done concerning IQ scores of viola Players :lol:

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:52 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
物の哀れ

Return to “The Café”