they shouldn'tna called it Irma

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

they shouldn'tna called it Irma

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:34 am

Reporter: why are you so angry?

Irma: I'm not vain. Not really. It's just, I've got a big voice, you know. Not like Ethel Merman; I'm no Ethel. The media's hard on me because I've ballooned up on this tour; all those shrimp cocktails! It's true I've wrecked some hotel rooms, but I'm travelling a lot and it's stressful. Anyway, I was thinking of those songs. They Call the Wind Mariah. Or that other one, where the wind cries Mary. No poet ever called the wind Irma. So, yeah, I'm angry.

Reporter: My brother's wife's named Irma; she's lovely.

Irma: I hope that you're brother's in construction. I'm going to make him rich. Look, Irma's fine; it's just...I always thought of myself as a Consuela, or a Genevieve. I think the media misread me.

Reporter: so after the big show in Florida, what's next?

Irma: I thought I'd play some small clubs in the Northeast under a different name; try to lose the bad press, reinvent myself. The whole tropical storm repertoire gets old. I wanna do some breezy jazz.

Reporter: let the horns blow for a change?

Irma: You got that right.
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

lagartija

Re: they shouldn'tna called it Irma

Post by lagartija » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:23 am

It had to begin with "I" ...
Inga
Ingrid
(Irene had already been taken recently)
Indira
Isabella
Ivanka :shock:

Now that would have caused quite a stir!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

montana

Post by montana » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:45 am

Huh

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:34 am

lagartija wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:23 am
Ivanka :shock:

Now that would have caused quite a stir!
spot on! :lol:
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am

Irma la Douce
Help!

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:32 pm

EDIT: Comment withdrawn, as this thread is seen by others as a legitimate anxiety release method. Sincere apologies for my tactless comments which may have offended the OP.

(Original comment may be seen in later quotes.)
Last edited by David Norton on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:48 pm

David_Norton wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:32 pm
Millions of people impacted by a disaster, billions of dollars in damage expected, and THIS lame thread exists?? Jeez.
I have to agree with David. Storms like these are no laughing matter.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:48 pm
David_Norton wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:32 pm
Millions of people impacted by a disaster, billions of dollars in damage expected, and THIS lame thread exists?? Jeez.
I have to agree with David. Storms like these are no laughing matter.
Hurricanes are horrible, the damage, destruction, injury can be devastating. Many tears (typo but appropriate) ago one such storm was about to hit and I put my horse in to barn for safety. A tree fell onto the barn, the roof collapsed and crushed my horse.
On the other hand, some of us that experience frequent hurricanes and the annual multiple threats of hurricanes, have had to develop a sense of humor. Not because there's anything funny, but because it's a way of coping with the related fear and anxiety. A type of gallows humor.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 pm

No, it isn't a funny situation. My brother and his wife live near Sarasota....right in the currently estimated path of Irma. His decision is to shelter in place. The roads are too jammed with people and his specific location is in evacuation zone 3. So it is not mandatory for him to leave....and his decision is that he is safer in his house, fully prepared for power loss, high winds, and lack of mobility after the storm, than on the open road in a car with nowhere to go. :chaud: People fleeing the storm from the mandatory evacuation areas are moving at 5mph and running out of gas.
Needless to say, I am very worried for his safety and others in the path of the storm. IMO, he is way too close to the beach and the elevation in his town is between 8 and 15 feet above sea level. A storm surge is expected between 8 to 12 feet in some areas. His specific area has an expected storm surge of about 1 foot. That is....if it actually comes ashore near Ft. Myers. That can change hour by hour depending on the path of the storm and how long it is on the water.

Bear is right... humor is often used to suppress anxiety and that is basically what you are seeing here, IMO.
__/^^^^^o>

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Sorry, the OP lives in California. No "anxiety-relief" justification there. This is simply poor judgement in my book.

But, hey, what the heck. We live in a Free Speech Society nowadays, and any sort of criticism may be seen as attempts at Oppression or Censorship. And one of the Mods is apparently in support of the thread, so really I don't have a leg to stand on. I don't live there, so it really is none of my concern, right? Therefore I withdraw my criticism.

Let's just wait for Berkeley to get leveled by a big earthquake like the one that hit southern Mexico this week, and then we can all make tactless jokes and get a big laugh out of it.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 pm

David, are you really wishing for Berkeley to be leveled because I made a joke? Which is fine, for me, because luckily your wishes won't have any effect whatsoever on earthquake activity. Just as my words won't influence what happens in Florida and elsewhere one iota. That's why people do indeed use humor to help manage overwhelming situations. It can lessen the anxiety and terror, bring it down to size. In any case, I did live through a big one and many others (you mean that you've forgotten Loma Prieta in 1989?). People joke about earthquakes here all the time--what are you going to to? Tragedies happen and one human response is humor--for example, my brother made jokes as he was dying in hospital. ER doctors are famous for their humor. And so on.

I wasn't praying for a hurricane to hit Cuba and Florida and the other islands. The hurricane exists; I had nothing to do with it. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the people effected.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:29 pm

I lived in California during grad school. The macabre humor around earthquakes was ever present. If you can't laugh...
物の哀れ

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:40 pm

David_Norton wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:02 pm
...... And one of the Mods is apparently in support of the thread, so really I don't have a leg to stand on. I don't live there, so it really is none of my concern, right? Therefore I withdraw my criticism.
I do not, as a moderator, "support " the thread. I , as an individual with family in the path of the storm, just took the thread as gallows humor, rightly or wrongly. Nor do I believe your criticism should remain unvoiced. You are certainly free to say it was insensitive to joke about such a thing.

Personally, I use humor all the time to cope with tough situations. When I faced brain surgery and radiation for a tumor, I joked..."Let's see....bilateral blindness in a few months or possibility of malignancy in 20 years from the radiation...ah...that is a "no-brainer"...I'll take the treatment." I have never been able to see how people cope without joking about serious danger. Sorry if that was offensive to you or to others. This is why an international forum can be instructive; it presents us with people who think differently from ourselves.
__/^^^^^o>

casy

Post by casy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm from Vero Beach, Fl. All week I watched the storm forecast to head straight for me on the East Coast. Now It's headed down the West Coast of Florida almost 200 miles away. We are still expected to have some hurricane force winds. So many millions of lives disrupted. What a waste! Now I have a hard time trying to play my guitar because my fingers hurt after putting up hurricane shutters. I hope to get back to normal soon provided the roof stays on. Irma, you're a bad girl.

montana

Post by montana » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 am

Everyone has a good point. I believe it's a stalemate. Only thing left to do is donate to the relief fund.

Return to “The Café”