to reporters standing out in the hurricane

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

to reporters standing out in the hurricane

Post by soltirefa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 am

You look silly standing out in the hurricane with your microphone, pointing to a fallen tree branch or puddle in the street and trying to make that news.

khayes

Re: to reporters standing out in the hurricane

Post by khayes » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:25 am

I agree - seems dangerous, too. But they're only doing what their bosses and producers are paying them to do. A few years ago, here in Nashville after a snowfall, there was a reporter on scene telling us "these streets are treacherous and impassable" while in the background cars were cruising by.
Ken

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 am

soltirefa wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 am
You look silly standing out in the hurricane with your microphone, pointing to a fallen tree branch or puddle in the street and trying to make that news.
I totally agree. My husband and I were talking about the field reporters at lunch today. I can't understand why they can't be standing on a porch or covered area to report storms. I think that some of their bosses are a bit unreasonable.
How are the reporters supposed to be protected from the storm if their position is seriously damaged?
Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 am

One reporter on CNN drove on the wrong way of the road, against the traffic (and there was some) just to show some blown over trees. Most of these live reported scenes in these situations are totally useless. When you are there, you know how bad it is. When not, you don't need some guy shouting in the wind and rain to tell you.

khayes

Post by khayes » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm

astro64 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 am
One reporter on CNN drove on the wrong way of the road, against the traffic (and there was some) just to show some blown over trees. Most of these live reported scenes in these situations are totally useless. When you are there, you know how bad it is. When not, you don't need some guy shouting in the wind and rain to tell you.
...and yet, we still watch don't we?
Ken

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:20 pm

khayes wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:25 am
I agree - seems dangerous, too. But they're only doing what their bosses and producers are paying them to do....
Sometimes their bosses ask them to provide some exclusive news and material, and then they produce fake rescue videos :?
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Journalists are one of my pet hates, but rationally, only some of them are evil - the rest are stupid or sad or barely more than slaves. A few have a PhD in politics and perform a good service to the public.
A work colleague once claimed that he was involved in this story (which I remembered from reading the said tabloid): -
he was a journalist on a London tabloid, and his editor thought up the headline "Spacco Attacks Wacko Jacko with a big Macko".
(I'm sure the first word wasn't spacco, but it adds to the flavour)
The editor then sent him and a staff photographer to Hamleys' toyshop at midnight (they opened the shop especially for Jackson). My work colleague was instructed to buy a big mac from McDonalds in Regent Street and throw it at Michael Jackson, the photographer catching the incident. If he'd refused to do it, he'd havebeen sacked. I'm guessing he was telling the truth.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 pm

khayes wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm
astro64 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 am
...and yet, we still watch don't we?
Not really, that was the one and only one I saw.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:23 pm

One thing's for sure - this year's hurricane season will have earnt a lot of money for some people in the media, and so every year from now on (and quite aside from any debate about climate change) it will form a bigger part of the news than before. It will be an accidental correlation - global warming and news coverage of climatic catastrophes. How sadly ironic is that!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:52 pm

soltirefa wrote:
You look silly standing out in the hurricane with your microphone, ….
If they are standing, it is not a hurricane. Windy maybe, but not a hurricane. :-)

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 pm

simonm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:52 pm
soltirefa wrote:
You look silly standing out in the hurricane with your microphone, ….
If they are standing, it is not a hurricane. Windy maybe, but not a hurricane. :-)
https://youtu.be/vjOf-kacoRg

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm

After being decapitated by flying sheet metal, the reporter diligently kept talking.
Help!

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 pm

I remember a few hurricanes back seeing a reporter reporting outside on a boardwalk near a beach. They were hunched over, hood on, and bracing themselves while laboriously yelling into the mic. It looked horrible. Like they were about to be blown away. Then, in the background, you could see a couple in shorts, hoods down, casually walking down the beach.
物の哀れ

dory

Post by dory » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 am

I don't know why they don't let them report from a hotel in front of a large window that we can see out of. They tell people to evacuate and then send the reporters into the worst of the wind and rain. We do have a few reporters here in Wisconsin who are ordered to stand in the middle of blizzards, but they aren't as awful as hurricanes and I presume since it is a half hour of local news they don't make them stand out there indefinitely.
Dory

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 am

chiral3 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 pm
I remember a few hurricanes back seeing a reporter reporting outside on a boardwalk near a beach. They were hunched over, hood on, and bracing themselves while laboriously yelling into the mic. It looked horrible. Like they were about to be blown away. Then, in the background, you could see a couple in shorts, hoods down, casually walking down the beach.
I saw a photo on an aljazeera report about irma showing a guy sitting on a wall of some kind with a hoodie on casually playing with his smart phone. The palms were certainly bending over a bit, but it was quite pleasant - more like a tourist photo where the caption show have been something about kite surfing ...

Return to “The Café”