to reporters standing out in the hurricane

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Re: to reporters standing out in the hurricane

Post by dory » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 pm

It may look pleasant but a lot of people have died in this storm. That is why I think they shoukd keep their reporters indoors.
Dory

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 am

By extension I suppose that's like saying there shouldn't be war correspondents.
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 am

From the few experiences I have had of having attended events that I subsequently read about in a newspaper; I simply assume that what the journalist has said bears effectively zero relationship to what has happened. As in, I would not recognise the event as having been the same thing had I not known for a fact that it was.
And its slightly worse than that because for my sins my BA is in English and Media Studies, (2:1 :oops: ) of which the latter element was almost but not quite as useless as may normally be assumed. Basically, for the bulk of the trade of journalism, virtually nothing is ever quite how they feel they have to portray it. This usually manifests in annoying distortions and misrepresentations rather than outright lies but there are far too many examples of the latter too. Examples of the former; a disabled man required by the documentary producer to be shown wearing pyjamas in bed, when in fact, because of the incredible fuss of getting into them, he never ever did *. A real distortion and unfair image of the chap's daily life. Why were they bothering to make the programme at all if they felt they had to do something like that?
Or the local paper report of an event I attended where apparently (words to the effect) 'the barriers kept back the crowds'. Yeah right - there were literally three people there. Or the local paper photo of a lunchtime recital I gave in the 1980s where everybody was crowded right up to the music stand to get them in the shot, and supposedly everybody was encouraged to eat their sandwiches during the performance. Yeah right, in a church, during a concert.
It may well tend to be worse in local reporting, and of course there are many serious writers in the major media channels who do everything they can to get an honest picture over. But even then, the very physical nature of the the medium shapes and inevitably changes, = distorts, the story as it ends up being perceived.
And yes I did it myself, e.g. as reviewer for CG magazine, in the recital I mentioned in another thread where there was literally only one actual ticket buyer (plus me plus the player's spouse) I failed to say that in clear terms, only vaguely alluding to the lack of turnout. Why? - because I didn't want to hurt the chap's feelings, and because I felt his mission (playing modern repertoire sans nails) was clearly doomed to failure, so why bother.
And so the point is, the journalist or editor feels there is a reason to be portraying the thing the way they do, even when they are not driven by ideology or other shallow motives.

* https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... s-obituary
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

montana

Post by montana » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Journalists are one of my pet hates, but rationally, only some of them are evil - the rest are stupid or sad or barely more than slaves. A few have a PhD in politics and perform a good service to the public.
A work colleague once claimed that he was involved in this story (which I remembered from reading the said tabloid): -
he was a journalist on a London tabloid, and his editor thought up the headline "Spacco Attacks Wacko Jacko with a big Macko".
(I'm sure the first word wasn't spacco, but it adds to the flavour)
The editor then sent him and a staff photographer to Hamleys' toyshop at midnight (they opened the shop especially for Jackson). My work colleague was instructed to buy a big mac from McDonalds in Regent Street and throw it at Michael Jackson, the photographer catching the incident. If he'd refused to do it, he'd havebeen sacked. I'm guessing he was telling the truth.
Probably trying to tap into the massive jerry springer following
:bye:

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Another example - I once had an Argentinian girlfriend who was in London during the Falklands war and a rag sent an interviewer.

Int: "What's it like being terrified?"
GF: "I'm not terrified"
Int: "But isn't everyone being aggressive towards you?"
GF: "No"
Int: "Aren't you worried that they might become aggressive?"
GF: "No, my neighbours are all lovely"
Int: "But what if they become aggressive, won't you be frightened then?"
GF: "Well, obviously if they became aggressive, then I'd be frightened"

And the story read, "X is living in terror of her life in South London."
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Another similar story: back during occupy in the US, so I suppose it was 2011, I got out of the subway at Union Square and was walking up to Tom Colicchio's Craft restaurant to meet a friend. At the north end of the park I noticed a very small throng of people standing around in my peripheral and a small collection of cops tapping away on their iphones out of my other peripheral. It barely registered. My friend wasn't at Craft so I sat at the bar and started watching TV. The reporter was live at Union Square reporting on the clashes between police and protestors. It occurred to me that I just had walked through this "melee", as they were putting it, possibly right past the reporter.

On a personal note, I've been quoted in major press a handful of times through the years. Of the material that was supposed to be used "on background and not for attribution" it was sometimes used in print, was always tilted, misrepresented, and maligned to support something more controversial than the intent. In one particularly bad case a reporter attributed something I said on background and made it appear that I was disagreeing in the press with a federal regulator on a legal/statutory matter.

Unfortunately real news is boring and detailed, but necessary to obtain, ingest, and understand for certain people. I wish I could go to a weather website and easily get the weather.
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

Return to “The Café”