Who Is K. Penderecki?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
franks59

Who Is K. Penderecki?

Post by franks59 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 pm

I just ran across this piece, Cadenza, by him. I don't know the original instrumentation, but it was apparently transcribed by him, working with Lukasz, for guitar. I think it works great! I hope he does more!

Search YouTube for: Lukasz Kuropaczewski plays Cadenza by K. Penderecki

Frank

lagartija

Re: Who Is K. Penderecki?

Post by lagartija » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:36 pm

https://www.discogs.com/artist/227875-K ... Penderecki

Frank, the direct link was removed and replaced with search terms because it is likely the piece is copyright protected.
The link above gives some information about the composer.

I think that Lukasz did an extraordinary job on interpretation. I say that because I find that many times I just don't "get" the modern pieces and this one held me all the way through until the end. Lukasz's dynamics gave me what I needed to "go for the ride" and hear what was going on in the piece without it just becoming an avalanche of notes. So if he can take a musical neophyte like me along with him, that is a spectacular performance! :-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks for the information. Great piece and playing!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 pm

It rang a faint bell with me thanks to the film scores, I guess(from the days when I bothered reading film credits), but that's all. Wiki has a lot on him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzysztof_Penderecki
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:05 am

wow! thanks for this.

do give a listen to penderecki's justly acclaimed "threnody"...hint: suspend judgement, close your eyes, and listen to it to the end...
Last edited by randalljazz on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

franks59

Post by franks59 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:35 am

lagartija wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:36 pm
I think that Lukasz did an extraordinary job on interpretation. I say that because I find that many times I just don't "get" the modern pieces and this one held me all the way through until the end. Lukasz's dynamics gave me what I needed to "go for the ride" and hear what was going on in the piece without it just becoming an avalanche of notes. So if he can take a musical neophyte like me along with him, that is a spectacular performance! :-)
I think that while it is "modern" sounding (mid 20th century modern), it's structure is more traditional classical. It has a clear motif (the semi-tone) and a structured development that can be followed. The development incorporates the motif in various harmonic and rhythmic ways so that the listener's ear has periodic "waypoints" to help them along.

To me much of today's "modern" music seems to be a mashup of various ideas that are not fully developed, if at all. This sounds truly "classical" to me even if the harmonies aren't.

Frank

franks59

Post by franks59 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:01 pm

randalljazz wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:05 am
wow! thanks for this.

do give a listen to penderecki's justly acclaimes "threnody"...hint: suspend judgement, close your eyes, and listen to it to the end...
So I listened to Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima and found it to be a completely different animal. To me it's an interesting but definitely abstract piece of music.

The opening sounds like a theme from a 70's slasher/horror movie - appropriate given the title of the piece. Next up, the "bongo" sound made me think I was listening to West Side Story. Then when the violins came in it sounded like an opening theme to a Star Trek movie.

Throughout the rest of the piece, I could hear bits and pieces from a lot of different movies and tv shows. I think I read somewhere that his works have been adapted to film and tv. I can definitely hear that.

Frank

xionc_proboszcz

Post by xionc_proboszcz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm

If I may suggest something - he is known for his avant-garde works (well, at least so they were called in the day), but he has also written some really decent choral/orchestral works in his later years. Try the Credo - quite interesting, especially harmonically.

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:28 am

lagartija wrote:

Frank, the direct link was removed and replaced with search terms because it is likely the piece is copyright protected.

Why? The piece is under copyright but Lukasz has done his own arrangement (with quite a few other works) with the blessing of Penderecki (after Lukasz playing this to him). With Lukasz being such a ridiculously good exponent of his music, this being a professionally recorded video, and the composer personally knowing and approving of Lukasz playing his music, surely it's safe to assume that it is up on YouTube legally?

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:10 am

Michael Butten wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:28 am
lagartija wrote:

Why? The piece is under copyright but Lukasz has done his own arrangement (with quite a few other works) with the blessing of Penderecki (after Lukasz playing this to him). With Lukasz being such a ridiculously good exponent of his music, this being a professionally recorded video, and the composer personally knowing and approving of Lukasz playing his music, surely it's safe to assume that it is up on YouTube legally?
Was the explanation of the performer's relationship with the composer and the composer's explicit approval of the video given in the description of the video? :-? If not, how would someone know of his approval? The video's presence on YouTube does not imply that permission has been given, it means either that the copyright holder has not alerted YouTube of infringement or that explicit permission * may * have been given.. ..
The moderating team is conservative in this matter so that Delcamp is not shut down. The servers are in France, which has very strict laws in this regard. They have shut other sites down for linking to copyright protected material.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 am

Fair enough. If it's the law it's the law, and if France has such strict laws then I can understand. Its such a shame, pretty much every composer I have personally known just wants to get their music out there being played by performers who do it justice. Having one amazing performance on YouTube will do a lot in terms of sales of the score, awareness of the composer, and have a very real effect on their earnings from a piece.

Anyway, this performance is pure class. Penderecki has a reputation for being inaccessible amongst the conservative, 'regular,' classical music audiences. His works are atonal, avant-garde and often unsettling, with his Threnody (probably his most famous work) being a perfect example. I really like the pieces of his that I've heard, they are very good at evoking emotions really immediately, and ramping up the tension until it becomes unbearable. Probably why his music is so popular in films, and unsettling films at that.

Return to “The Café”