Can Tarrega Really be Annoying?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Chris

Re: Can Tarrega Really be Annoying?

Post by Chris » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:41 pm
To deny the gifts of Tarrega to the CG one would have to be blind, deaf and dumb. My comments in no way seek to disparage this wonderful composer and arranger but rather to give discussion to my recent experience with his "Carnival of Venice." Playing again . . . Rognvald
Dear Rognvald, I don't think any of us denies Tarrega's fantastic contribution at all, so I can only agree with your statement about anyone who would do such a horrible thing.

However tastes do change and develop through the centuries with all the new wonderful music being created, and I can understand that guitarists who play a lot and know the repertoire closely may start develop preferences for something in addition to Tarrega's indeed very popular (can I say some times populist?) output.

The melody for Carnival in Venice is used for a popular tune with the words "My hat, it has three corners" or in German "Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken" (check Wikipedia on https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Hut, ... drei_Ecken). That is one silly song which is perhaps why I don't like it very much. :)

The Gran Jota is more showoff than music to me, with all that strumming in the middle, sorry for going off your topic of Carnival in Venice. I also think that some of the standard European piano music arrangements do not compare extremely well with the originals, but I suppose that's also another topic. :-)

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:29 pm

xionc_proboszcz wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am
Isn't it the problem with most of the virtuosi of the 19th century? I mean - Tárrega is not that untypical. Those concert pieces are more or less only shows of musically empty technical prowess. Just from my background as a woodwind player, I remember practicing e.g. the variations by Pasculli, and it was the same thing all over again: nightmare, as far as the technique goes, but without significant depth.
I think it is ok to play that stuff - it is pleasant, it captures the audience easily, but we have to consciously interpret it as a steroid-buffed salon music, so to speak. ;-)
Strong words Xionc but I agree that a lot of 19th century music is just very superficial and bourgeois and not very deep.
And there's a lot of "circus" in classical music even today where women have to undress and men look like young latin lovers just to go on stage :)

xionc_proboszcz

Post by xionc_proboszcz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Chris wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:29 pm
Strong words Xionc but I agree that a lot of 19th century music is just very superficial and bourgeois and not very deep.
And there's a lot of "circus" in classical music even today where women have to undress and men look like young latin lovers just to go on stage :)
Don't get me wrong - there is a Brahms among those guys, there is a Schumann and so forth. Sure. But I think it is extremely hard to get a piece just right - technically impressive enough and musically deep. And that may be especially true for those instruments, that were significantly less popular at the time (or not that artistic, if you know what I mean) - guitar is among those, so is oboe or flute at some point. :)

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 pm

During my studies, one of my teachers wouldn't let me play Capricho Arabe in course recitals, saying it was a "grade 6 piece"...I play it every gig now, always loved it and consider it quintessentially Spanish. Non-guitarists love it too

Return to “The Café”