Google incognito search

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Google incognito search

Post by dory » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Has anyone done a google incognito search? Simonm perhaps? I am working on a project where I will have to look at some extremist websites and obviously don't want to get any notifications from them on Facebook or get on any email lists. Has anyone used google incognito?
Dory

robin loops

Re: Google incognito search

Post by robin loops » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 am

I use it at Christmas so that things I search for don't pop up all over the place. Also if I look up some info on a video mic (which I have no intention of buying) because someone asks a question about it on a forum, that kind of stuff. The advantage is that it doesn't log the sites you visit in your history but keep in mind that your ISP still has a log of the activity (sites visited) and that you aren't completely anonymous. It's also useful for using at work if you visit pages that you shouldn't be visiting at work (like this forum for example), but again, it only doesn't log the activity on the computer begin used, but it would show up in server logs and that kind of thing...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:30 am

Also any site you were to visit would still see the IP address of the computer accessing it (in this case yours).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

bear

Post by bear » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 am

robin loops wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 am
I use it at Christmas so that things I search for don't pop up all over the place. Also if I look up some info on a video mic (which I have no intention of buying) because someone asks a question about it on a forum, that kind of stuff. The advantage is that it doesn't log the sites you visit in your history but keep in mind that your ISP still has a log of the activity (sites visited) and that you aren't completely anonymous. It's also useful for using at work if you visit pages that you shouldn't be visiting at work (like this forum for example), but again, it only doesn't log the activity on the computer begin used, but it would show up in server logs and that kind of thing...
robin,
Every time I gone gift shopping for my wife (using my laptop) the ads for the thing I was shopping for, show up on her laptop. Will the incognito prevent that?
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Guero

Post by Guero » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:43 am

Why do you use Google at all?!
I use DuckDuckGo for about 5 years now. but there are lots of other alternative search engines.

Ads?! I don't like them, so I (usually) don't get them . :D

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:19 am

dory wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 pm
Has anyone done a google incognito search? Simonm perhaps? I am working on a project where I will have to look at some extremist websites and obviously don't want to get any notifications from them on Facebook or get on any email lists. Has anyone used google incognito?
Incognito is a Chrome function, not a Google search function - Google will still try to track you using things like your OS and monitor size (which it can see if you have your browser window maximised). It could be that using Chrome in incognito mode is enough for what you need. Other options are to use a VPN, Tor, or just a search engine that does not track you (like DuckDuckGo - but it is not as good IME).

Unless you use Tor or a VPN, your ISP will know that you have been visting extremist websites. I think I read that in the US, ISPs are free to sell their customers' browsing history.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:24 am

As far as I know, google incognito is just a mode of the google chrome browser, to avoid memorizing your visited pages. I cannot imagine that Google Inc. doesn't chart where you're surfing, but your spouse won't see it on your browser later on.

I always use startpage, which uses google results without forwarding your IP address while searching. As soon as you visit the pages directly from the result list, google will know. So just type the results manually from a blank browser page.

For firefox there are some "anonymizer"-plugins, but they're mostly very, very slow.
But one free VPN-plugin called HOXX is working fairly. It can switch you on several foreign proxy servers, some are quite o.k., some are slow, I guess it depends on where you are. I use e.g. a German server (my former home country) to do PayPal payments from my German PP-account, because it doesn't work if I do it from Portugal (where I live now). Moreover, you can set firefox to delete all cookies and browser history etc. when closing and there are a lot of useful plugins like uBlock (a really working ad-blocker). It's easy to use, even for no-nerds like me.

- - -

N.B: Ooops Rasputin was faster than me :D

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Guero wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:43 am
Why do you use Google at all?!
I use DuckDuckGo for about 5 years now. but there are lots of other alternative search engines.

Ads?! I don't like them, so I (usually) don't get them . :D
+1 for DuckDuckGo - I don't think they do any tracking, or so they say
Ken

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't use google unless I cannot avoid it. There is no such thing as "incognito" on the internet. It starts when you connect: your service provider gives you an ip address which is from a pool of addresses linked to a particular "exchange". The provider always knows who you are as you log in with a user name and password. And so on and so on. Many browsers default to passing location information on to whoever asked for it: in effect a browser can not only pass on your address but the room you are in.

The best chance of being "incognito" and it should work for this purpose is to use the Tor browser, ideally on a computer bought for the purpose. Tor is supposedly anonymous but it is pretty much certain that governments can figure out who you are easily enough (Tor was originally a US Navy project if I recall correctly :-)). Despite this however it will keep you anonymous in terms of the kinds of searches you seem to be interested in. However, if will restrict what you see too. In order to protect your identity all sorts of stuff you normally use (plugins, javascript and so on) will be switched off.

Tor is easy enough to install but it can be a bit of a pain to use. The browser itself is basically a securer Firefox. However, it may be worthwhile in this circumstance. Some people install it in a virtual machine to keep it separate from their main machines and to make sure that nothing gets stored locally which can identify you - i.e. vm reset after every use.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:08 pm

bear wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 am
robin,
Every time I gone gift shopping for my wife (using my laptop) the ads for the thing I was shopping for, show up on her laptop. Will the incognito prevent that?
I very much doubt it. Assuming you are using DSL from you home, you both appear to be the same computer to the websites as the IP address is not the one from your computer but rather the one from your router/modem. However, the more sophisticated tracking systems should be able to differentiate different users and different devices from the same household.

One of the simplest ways to avoids ads in general is to simply disable javascript in browser. It doesn't stop you being tracked and targeted but it gets rid of some of the irritation but some of the nice features on most websites won't work.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:43 pm

simonm wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:08 pm
bear wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 am
robin,
I very much doubt it. Assuming you are using DSL from you home, you both appear to be the same computer to the websites as the IP address is not the one from your computer but rather the one from your router/modem. However, the more sophisticated tracking systems should be able to differentiate different users and different devices from the same household.

One of the simplest ways to avoids ads in general is to simply disable javascript in browser. It doesn't stop you being tracked and targeted but it gets rid of some of the irritation but some of the nice features on most websites won't work.
Thank you, Simonm. Mr. Orwell, was just a few years off.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

dory

Post by dory » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:16 am

I am beginning to think I should go to the public library and use a Tor. I am not going to visit anyplace illegal. I am interested in political polarization in the US and want to visit some sites that people without strong political views might not like, but which are perfectly legal. I hope that by referencing polarization i am not being political but I think not as I have no intention of mentioning any of the various viewpoints I am researching.
Dory

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:55 am

dory wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:16 am
I am beginning to think I should go to the public library and use a Tor. I am not going to visit anyplace illegal. I am interested in political polarization in the US and want to visit some sites that people without strong political views might not like, but which are perfectly legal. I hope that by referencing polarization i am not being political but I think not as I have no intention of mentioning any of the various viewpoints I am researching.
The fact that in the western world people have to consider this seems to suggest that Bear's comment was very apposite. :-)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am

Just what I was thinking.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:06 am

Anyone who wants to look at anything dodgy should do it officially, not on their own, otherwise there's a serious risk they will end up like Pete Townshend (whose innocence or guilt I make no comment on, except in that he deserved what he got). If you imagine Google incognito is truly incognito, you are a fool.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “The Café”