Interesting guitar places Madrid

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
rojarosguitar

Interesting guitar places Madrid

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm planning to go to Madrid this autumn.
Do you have recommendations for interesting classical or flamenco guitar places (shops/luthiers) in Madrid.

Best would be to find places with a representative selection of Madrid school of guitars (if such a place exists at all).
Any suggestion welcome. Thanks...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Interesting guitar places Madrid

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Jeez - there are the Ramirez and Rodriguez factories - the two oldest guitar makers on the planet! I think Ramirez is in Madrid proper, but Rodriguez is out in Esquivel. Esquivel does not look like a place tourists normally go... But Rodriguez gives factory tours regularly. A guitar factory tour, beer and an early dinner would be all that I need for a day's adventure! :D

We want to go to Spain in 2018, and I was planning on making the pilgrimage to both shops. Assuming you can be flexible upon arrival, I also suggest you ask when you get there. I'm sure you will get multiple recommendations.

Correction: Rodriguez factory is in Esquivias, not Esquivel:
Paseo Galatea, 25, 45221 Esquivias, Toledo, Spain
They are open 0900 - 1830 today! Hurry before all the guitars are gone! :D
Last edited by Andrew Pohlman on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Guero

Post by Guero » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 am

Hi rojarosguitar!

I suppose you know the tiny little shop Guitarras de Luthier.
If not: Guitarras de Luthier in "Calle Doctor Mata".

Greetings, Güero.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:25 pm

- it has been a pleasure to read this article
The Guitar Makers of Madrid
http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/the- ... of-madrid/
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for all the inputs! More than I can possibly digest in one week ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:22 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 pm
Thanks for all the inputs! More than I can possibly digest in one week ...
Just a suggestion - have a hunt through the archives here. I am sure there was a similar thread 3 or 4 years back which became quite extensive on suggestions.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 am

Before my trip to Madrid about three years ago, I remember contacting Ramirez several times over about a month, because I had (and still have) a 1904 Ramirez 1 and wanted to visit them. I was even given Amelia's personal email as the ones on the website were non responsive. They never replied before the trip, and to this day haven't. Really disappointing. That's not a great way to build customer loyalty.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Real Musica of Madrid is a good place for sheet music. They have instruments too but there are better shops that specialize in high end guitars. The neighborhood Opera (There is a metro stop called Opera) is a place where many young musicians hang out, there are music and art stores and schools, as well as at least one luthier (can't remember the name). I highly recommend checking out this area.

While you're there be sure to visit Candela if you like flamenco music. Candela has a private room in the basement where flamenco players and dancers congregate. If you talk with some of the regulars you can get invited down. Having a guitar with you may help with that.

There is also a small concert venue on Calle Cava Baja that has a tiny bar next door. After concerts, the artists often head over to the tiny bar and play impromptu concerts. Sitting in the corner of the bar a few feet away. I will try and find the name and exact location later.

Have fun in Madrid.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

John Spain

Post by John Spain » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am

Real Musical closed down about 10 years ago and the business that took it over, Opera Musical, closed about two years ago. The site on which those shops traded are now tawdry souvenir and candy shops.
Make mine a Franziskaner Wheatbeer

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 am
Before my trip to Madrid about three years ago, I remember contacting Ramirez several times over about a month, because I had (and still have) a 1904 Ramirez 1 and wanted to visit them. I was even given Amelia's personal email as the ones on the website were non responsive. They never replied before the trip, and to this day haven't. Really disappointing. That's not a great way to build customer loyalty.
It's odd to me that they would not be interested in a piece of family history! That's interesting and telling. I contacted Rodriguez Company by putting in a customer support ticket on their website. I was asking about the manufacture date of my Model FF Sabicas flamenco blanco. I got a reply from Manuel himself with help translating from his secretary. And I still receive correspondences to this day directly from Manuel. That too is interesting and telling.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:09 am

I would put Felix Manzanero on your list. Although Felix retired in 2010, his shop remains open and is being run by his son, Ivan. Felix has a unique collection of guitars on display. Both Father and son are real gentlemen, the shop is on calle Santa Ana, 12. Jose Romero is another shop worth a visit. Jose learned his trade under Ramirez III his shop is old school, c/ Espoz y Mina, 30.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 am
It's odd to me that they would not be interested in a piece of family history! That's interesting and telling. I contacted Rodriguez Company by putting in a customer support ticket on their website. I was asking about the manufacture date of my Model FF Sabicas flamenco blanco. I got a reply from Manuel himself with help translating from his secretary. And I still receive correspondences to this day directly from Manuel. That too is interesting and telling.
I've had a different experience with Ramirez. The few times I have emailed, I have gotten quick responses, but, I speak Spanish and sent emails in Spanish. Perhaps this is the key to getting them to communicate. It's possible that since they have an American division of the company that they don't worry too much about the international marketing and don't have english speaking people on hand to translate emails in English, and choose to focus primarily on business inside Spain. Another option is to contact their American dealer for communications in English.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks for all suggestions. I'll see how much I can manage...

Return to “The Café”