pizza is just over-priced cheese on toast

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Hany Hayek

Re: pizza is just over-priced cheese on toast

Post by Hany Hayek » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 am

My grand mother was Italian, we used to make pizza on Saturdays at home long before we had Pizza Hut in Egypt.
When I tasted the pizza in Milan, I didn't like it. It was actually very thick bread with cheese and tomato for me. But not all pizzerias in Northern Italy make the same pizza. The fancier ones had great pizza.
Now, me and my wife, we make our own at home. We don't use mozzarella as it doesn't melt that good in a normal oven. We use a type of string Syrian cheese (jibneh mshallaleh) that melts perfectly. And I just adore anchovies and Kalamata olives.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 am

Hany Hayek wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 am
We don't use mozzarella, as it doesn't melt that good in a normal oven
I knew an Italian restaurateur in Germany, and his pizza oven went up to 300 centigrade. So I'd infer that if you use a normal oven, you have to have it on 250, gas mark 9.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:13 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 am
Hany Hayek wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 am
We don't use mozzarella, as it doesn't melt that good in a normal oven
I knew an Italian restaurateur in Germany, and his pizza oven went up to 300 centigrade. So I'd infer that if you use a normal oven, you have to have it on 250, gas mark 9.
If I use my oven at 250 C I burn the pizza. There is a trick though. After 15 minutes at 180 C, you turn on the grill and keep the pizza close to the fire for a couple of minutes. Still the Syrian cheese tastes better

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 am

At 300 a pizza only takes 5 minutes, but that is the thinnest pizza.

Obviously if your pizzas are as thick as a pie, you'll have to cook them lower and longer.

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Here in Chicago we loves us our deep dish
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:25 am

No...to fire a brick oven costs money. To run a gas oven nearly 12 hours a day costs money.

But I think making good homemade pizza is like a really good piece of toast for a few bucks compared to going out.

Pizza is in essence a flatbread with stuff on it. So yeah he's right. I understand a disdain for going out for pizza, it's just boring.

But get a few folks together to knead dough, drink wine and throw stuff on toast, that's money well spent. Oh and if you knead your own pizza dough your guitar hand strength goes up :)

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:03 am

There's so many dimensions to pizza. I love making the dough, picking herbs and tomatoes from the garden, and making endless variations. I like making pizza on a stone in my grill and putting it out in front of a table full of guests on my patio. In the fall I hack down all my basil and parsley and make pestos. Make your own mozzarella and the whole thing feels homegrown. Where my kids go to school roughly a third of the campus is a farm. On the edge is an outdoor pizza oven that's the size of a small room. On Fridays they make pies for lunch with fresh ingredients from the farm.

On a tangent, a luthier I know talks often about making bread. Water, flour, yeast, salt. But there's a beautiful simplicity, something minimal and zen, about the nuanced infinities of quality in the breads from just those simple ingredients.
物の哀れ

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:43 am

I made one once. The recipe said yeast dough, so I made yeast dough. Rolled it out as flat as I could. When it was cooked it was an inch thick.

Cass Couvelas

Post by Cass Couvelas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 am

I made one once, when I was about 14. The recipe said yeast. I reached into my mother's cupboard and extracted a pot of dried yeast. It was probably - in hindsight - VERY old (I didn't ever recall any bread being made in my family, so the pot probably pre-dated my existence). When it was cooked, it was concrete.
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:27 am

Oh, but so yummy! :D

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:37 pm

I make pizzas about once a month. Proper dough with yeast, passata made from home-grown tomatoes, etc. My gas oven has a pizza setting, and I set it to 250 C. Toppings vary from family member to family member - my usual is broccoli with dried chilli flakes, pine nuts, sultanas and olives. Plus the obligatory blobs of mozzarella, a scattering of oregano, and a swirl of olive oil.

When I first tried it, I was reluctant to buy an expensive pizza stone (is there any other sort out there?) so I bought a couple of large terracotta pot saucers from the local garden centre at a fraction of the price. They've performed brilliantly for the last ten years or so, and are now quite black!

The pizzas are still great though (usually...)

And nothing like cheese on toast!

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:37 pm

When I first tried it, I was reluctant to buy an expensive pizza stone (is there any other sort out there?) so I bought a couple of large terracotta pot saucers from the local garden centre at a fraction of the price. They've performed brilliantly for the last ten years or so, and are now quite black!
Good friend of mine, a cultural anthropologist, is Italian. His kids were baptized at the Vatican, one was born there. His and my families have been to Italy together. He spends most of the summer there. He's a foodie and into cooking, just like me. One of his research interests is slow food tourism, specifically Italy and Vietnam. His pasta board is a ratty piece of plywood from Home Depot. His pizza stone is a piece of slate rock from somewhere. Maybe the woods behind his house. We've made great pizza on that slab.
物の哀れ

montana

Post by montana » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 am

doug wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:00 pm
No, I don't. It's one of my favorite foods. I do enjoy a good pizza ....my favorite is a thin & crispy crust, loaded with everything......and an ice cold beer.
So true doug! But if I had an ice cold beer , and thought about pizza.....I'd be fine.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:42 pm
I have a friend who is vehement in his hatred of pizza.
For him it is just over-priced cheese on toast.
Do you agree with him?
Hwy bother then? He should eat cheese on toast instead :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Return to “The Café”