"Brilliant Classics" label questions

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Dirck Nagy

"Brilliant Classics" label questions

Post by Dirck Nagy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 am

Hi all

Is anyone here familiar with the recording label "Brilliant Classics"? They seem to have a lot of material out there, and some of their recording artists are well-known. (i.e. Lorenzo Micheli)

ANy opinions on their Classical Guitar offerings? ... I have their "Favourite Guitar Concertos" release, but haven't heard any others.

cheers
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Yisrael van Handel

Re: "Brilliant Classics" label questions

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 am

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 am
Hi all

Is anyone here familiar with the recording label "Brilliant Classics"? They seem to have a lot of material out there, and some of their recording artists are well-known. (i.e. Lorenzo Micheli)

ANy opinions on their Classical Guitar offerings? ... I have their "Favourite Guitar Concertos" release, but haven't heard any others.

cheers
dirck
I not familiar with the classical guitar offering. But I am familiar with the label in general. They are a Dutch company that specializes big box sets of recordings from unknown artists. Many of them are sub-professional. Many performances are poor (student quality). I personally have tried several times to listen to Brilliant Classics, and did not manage. Quality of performance was too poor. I recommend to stay away from them. You will be disappointed. I am in favor of buying Dutch products (my name is not van Handel for nothing). Just not this one.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:36 am

Tricky to generalise but easy to look them up and though (suspiciously?) there is no way to sample tracks on their website, many of their players are on YT and in fact at least one complete album - Bach - is there.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am

I have a box set of anything Bach. You find a recording of essentially anything that carries a BWV number. The recordings are mixed, from recordings licensed from top labels (e.g. BIS) to really awful. Considering the price I think the box was outstanding value.

If you look on wikipedia the company got sold a few years ago. I think this had an impact on how and what they do.

Discussing classical guitar, I own a CD set of

Youtube

and like to listen to

Youtube

I am actually considering buying the Bach set as well. Consider the price, I think they are ok to listen to.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:15 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am
The recordings are mixed, from recordings licensed from top labels (e.g. BIS) to really awful. Considering the price I think the box was outstanding value.
My experience exactly. They provide a few good recordings to sell the CD, then fill up the rest with awful stuff. I admire joachim33's sober evaluation that it is worth the price. I am too Dutch for that. I feel that I have been cheated. Or at least, that I have to store a lot of recordings that I cannot listen to. And storage space is expensive. Perhaps real estate is cheaper in southern Sweden than next to the border fence in Israel.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:36 pm

I have their CD called, "Adelaide: Beethoven and the Guitar," played wonderfully by Izhar Elias on period guitars, plus some chamber pieces with guitar, violin and viola. These are mostly 19th century arrangements by the likes of Coste, Diabelli, Carulli... It is a delightful album, absolutely top quality in every way.

I also have their box-set of Federico Mompou's piano music, played by Mompou himself, which is another high-quality gem (if you're into that. He's the same guy who wrote that great guitar sonata, "Suite Compostelana". His piano music is really lovely!).

Return to “The Café”