Things to do in Midwest US

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
tormodg

Things to do in Midwest US

Post by tormodg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 pm

Hey folks,

I am leaving Oslo, Norway on Saturday to go on a road trip for the next 18 days, starting from Chicago and going around Lake Michigan through Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and possibly Missouri. My goal is Rock Island, IL, where I'll attend homecoming at Augustana College.

This is where I got my Bachelor of Music Performance in classical guitar 25 years ago (just to ensure that this post is relevant :) ).

I am bringing my youngest daughter (14 yo) for the entire trip.

I am grateful for ideas and recommendations for things to do, see and experience on our trip.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Lovemyguitar

Re: Things to do in Midwest US

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Admire the corn and soy fields?

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Peak of the leaf color season, so it should be beautiful. The sky is never more blue than Early October in the midwest.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Are you looking for traditional Midwestern culture? Or big city culture? Because you can find both.

Chicago is a huge metropolitan area and you can find everything from hotdogs and Chicago stuffed pizza to opera and fine dining and plenty of pickpockets to keep you on your toes... Chicago is the sausage capitol of America, so trying some dogs there is a must do lunch/dinner event. Mmm .... Chicago hotdogs!
Chicago dog.jpg
The Great Lakes is an awesome place to start with many boat tours. Too bad you are not going north into upper state New York, as there is Niagara Falls... But in Michigan proper is the Mackinac region with the trio of Mackinac Island, the Les Cheneaux Islands and mainland's Mackinac City for some "nature activities".
Mackinac Bridge.jpg
St Loius, Missouri, has the Gateway Arch and related walking tour (may still be free) which is definitely worth a hike. I also think they still do riverboat tours on the Mississippi (not free).
gateway arch.jpg
I hope this helps - at least as a starting point. Mmm ... Chicago hotdogs! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks Andrew Pohlmann! Great ideas. We'll check out those hotdogs for sure. I also hope to visit the Gateway Arch.
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:00 pm
Admire the corn and soy fields?
I am sure we will have plenty of time for just that. :)

ragdoll serenade

Post by ragdoll serenade » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:28 pm

I am an Augie grad. Class of 83. It's been years since I have been to Rock Island although I visit Central Illinois often as my family all live there.

In Chicago, you may still catch a Cubs game although I think the regular season may be ending soon. The lake front is stunning with the massive buildings lined up against the lake shore. Walking aimlessly around downtown. The Art Institute is a great way to spend a day and there are no shortage of other museums there. Maybe an architectural tour through the downtown, I think there is some sort of boat trip. It may be a bit morbid but once when I was there I spent hours walking around a very old and very large cemetery. That was one of my more memorable experiences in Chicago actually. I think it might have been Graceland Cemetery. For more rural beauty, the Devil's Lake area in Wisconsin and then driving along the Wisconsin River to Prairie Du Chien is quite scenic. You could head South from there and follow the Mississippi to Rock Island.

I hope you have a wonderful trip I must say you are quite ambitious in your travels!
I should go to Norway and do likewise one day. I just finished watching most of the UCI Road Races in Bergen. The city was a great location for the racing and it looked like a wonderful place to live.

And take your daughter to Whitey's for a fancy milkshake.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:13 am

Go to www midwestliving com. Then click on the Travel section. That'll give you ideas for several trips!!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:39 am

tormodg wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 pm
My goal is Rock Island, IL, where I'll attend homecoming at Augustana College.
I am grateful for ideas and recommendations for things to do, see and experience on our trip.
60 miles west of Rock Island is West Branch, Iowa, where luthier John H Dick has his shop. Arrange a visit and play some of his guitars!

If you stay off the Interstate Highways, you'll have a much more interesting trip. Consider going North along the Mississippi River to Minneapolis / St. Paul.

Are you going around the Great Lakes? From Michigan into Canada? If so, the north shore of Lake Superior back down through Minnesota is really nice.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Drink beer and eat Klements sausage...that's really fun :)

Oh and be sure to tell them of your disdain for American football :)

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Bordering Detroit, MI

Dearborn, MI
The Henry Ford (Historical Museum)
Indoor and outdoor experiences perfect for this time of year and more than enough interactive exhibits to keep your 14 year old engaged.

Royal Oak,MI
The Detroit Zoo

Google: Cider Mill
Find the nearest one in whatever Midwestern town you are passing through for delicious apples,tasty apple cider (non-alcoholic) and freshly-made donuts worthy of Homer Simpson.

Happy Trails!

Jim Imbur
Location: Midway between Lynchburg and Charlottesville Virginia

Post by Jim Imbur » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Visit the Frank Lyoyd Wright center in Oak Park, a Chicago suburb. You will see first hand some of his architectural concepts at the center and nearby homes.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Since you are a good Viking and will not be pillaging and plundering, here's a few things you might like to do:
1.) Joe Seagal's Jazz Showcase featuring the best in live Jazz
2.) Art Institute of Chicago--one of the best Art museums in the world
3.) Chicago River tour on Wendella Boat Lines
4.) If you don't argue with your Swedish brothers try Tre Kronor restaurant in Chicago on Foster Avenue
5.) Chicago Classical Guitar Society for possible concerts(contact online)
6.) Lincoln Park or Brookfield Zoo
I hope this gives you some options for your time in the Midwest. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

dory

Post by dory » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Are you going to be near Madison, WI on October 5? There is a classical guitar showcase (really open mic that day. If you didn't bring your guitar I will loan you mine. Madison is a really beaitiful city. Just walking around the downtown is really fun and the art museum at the Overture Center on State St. Is really fun. In fact the Overture Venter itself is really fun although city residents will be paying for it forever. It is is big city venue in a medium city and is supposed to bring tourists from all over. You probably won't be here on that date but if you are let me know.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 am

Oh, walking around the lakes is fun too.
Dory

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:53 am

Thanks folks! Lots of wonderful ideas and suggestions. We did get to sample Chicago style hot dogs and we have tried to stay off highways when possible. We are currently in Cincinnati, Ohio and will be going to Nashville tomorrow.

Return to “The Café”