Jacob Collier

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Michael Butten

Re: Jacob Collier

Post by Michael Butten » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:15 pm
I already knew his Flintstones arrangement well. But my point is, how often do you really want to listen to it?
I had a similar problem with Y'A d'la Joie by Charles Trenet - a CD of upbeat songs that ultimately set my nerves on edge.
70 minutes of this and you need mogadon.

Youtube
I listen to it alot! Every time I do I hear a new harmonisation or rhythym I'd never heard before! I do think his arrangements can be a bit intense with all the close harmonies, but I feel like it's so well thought out and the effect can be unbelievable. The You and I arrangement climax is just ridiculous, and the wind down with the single note harmonisation just shows what is possible with such a deep understanding. It's the ability to go anywhere and everywhere and have a listener feel like they're floating before giving a 'recognisable' cadence, grounding us for a moment before taking off again. A genius indeed..!

rikart

Re: Jacob Collier

Post by rikart » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Collier is a prodigious talent. The problem is that it is the same old breakfast serving, every time. Audible porridge. He can steer that circle of fifths wheel around the most twisted of musical chicanes, but he's sunk deep seated driving a granny's armchair, wading through rivers of mush. I hope he will eventually learn to appreciate that 'less is more'.
rikart /warwick harte

Return to “The Café”