Buying sheet music on the internet

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Buying sheet music on the internet

Post by dory » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Ok. I have recently bought two pieces of sheet music from Strings by Mail. That was straightforward. They were pieces where there was only one version. However, I have been looking for Alfonsina y el Mar-- primarily for vocal but also for guitar. I am having the same trouble with both. For the vocal there is generally no sample on the internet. I would be glad to pay but the music costs up to $20 (that seems like a lot if you are used to Strings by Mail) but I can't see the score and don't know what key it is in. I know. I can transpose it, but I want to play the vocal part on my guitar and it is time consuming for something I just paid $20 for. There are also several versions for classical guitar-- some easier and some harder and again most are invisible. Aaarh! Please guys. If you are selling the music place a goodly sample on the internet so we can see.
Dory

Yvon

Re: Buying sheet music on the internet

Post by Yvon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I agree with you, I don't it when tabs are included. ANd sometimes it's hard to know.
production d'oz is a little bit better but not perfect either
Yamaha GC-31

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Sounds like you'd benefit from old fashioned expertise, maybe a guitar centre where they have the time to go get it off the shelf, tell you the key and other details. The Spanish Guitar Centre in Nottingham, UK, is the kind of place where they will do that. You may end up spending more than $20 but you'd have more confidence in it being a suitable purchase.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

dory

Post by dory » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:34 am

I would love an old fashioned music store where I could look at the scores.
Dory

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:03 am

I have purchased some vocal music and guitar music from sheetmusicplus and in the description, they usually give the key the piece is in or let you see a page.
There is a Cardoso intermediate guitar version for $8.99. :-) It has a preview, if you want to look. Key of G, although the image is of poor quality, I can see the one sharp in the key signature.

I just found another version by Roland Dyens. It is in Key of D for $12. Both of these versions are graded level 4, but I don't know what that REALLY means.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:47 am

I've used Musicroom.com and Chappell's of Bond Street (now Yamaha Music Europe or something like that) and both offer a one page preview so you can see what you're getting

dory

Post by dory » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:24 am

Thank you.
Dory

dgutowski

Post by dgutowski » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 am

I'm trying to find Andrew York's "Home" on the internet in Tab to download so I can start learning it...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
David :casque:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 am

dgutowski wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 am
I'm trying to find Andrew York's "Home" on the internet in Tab to download so I can start learning it...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
I don't know if he has versions with tab. The sheet music that I got from him was in standard notation. You have to download a short thing from his website in order to be able to read the pages. I wasn't able to do this and I emailed his company, I believe it was called Majan Music, and Mr York responded personally and sent me a PDF of Home, which is the piece I was trying to download.

Of course, if you can solve the math problem on his website, you might win a prize(sheet music maybe?). He was really nice in his emails.

Scott in Oregon

dgutowski

Post by dgutowski » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 am
dgutowski wrote:
Thanks,
I don't know if he has versions with tab. The sheet music that I got from him was in standard notation. You have to download a short thing from his website in order to be able to read the pages. I wasn't able to do this and I emailed his company, I believe it was called Majan Music, and Mr York responded personally and sent me a PDF of Home, which is the piece I was trying to download.

Of course, if you can solve the math problem on his website, you might win a prize(sheet music maybe?). He was really nice in his emails.

Scott in Oregon
You're right about the download problems...I worked on it for a few hours and did finally get it downloaded and printed...I think the problem is the company doesn't instantly do the download tool and you have to wait for a while but I did get the music and you're right, he is very friendly and helpful and I'm impressed that he communicated with me...once I master Home, I'll download more of his music. Did you get the" six easy pieces"? Good songs and not so easy but a good challenge to learn them.
Regards,
David

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 am

Trekel in Hamburg is usually very good at tracking down special orders.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:38 pm

dgutowski wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 am
dgutowski wrote:
Thanks,

Scott in Oregon
You're right about the download problems...I worked on it for a few hours and did finally get it downloaded and printed...I think the problem is the company doesn't instantly do the download tool and you have to wait for a while but I did get the music and you're right, he is very friendly and helpful and I'm impressed that he communicated with me...once I master Home, I'll download more of his music. Did you get the" six easy pieces"? Good songs and not so easy but a good challenge to learn them.
Regards,
David
No I didn't get six easy pieces. I am still working on Home. I will check it out though. Check out the math section on his site. He has a great sense of humor too.

Scott

Return to “The Café”