DHL and CITES

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

Re: DHL and CITES

Post by soltirefa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Makes you want to travel abroad to pick it up personally.

Uriel Garcia
Student of the online lessons

Post by Uriel Garcia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:33 pm

This is the exact same scenario I was looking to avoid. Around September of 2016, ordered a Classical Guitar from Robert England who is based out of Canada. Sometime in early December of 2016 the news broke out about all Rosewood falling into the purview of CITES starting Jan 2nd 2017. Robert had to hurry up and finish the guitar so that that he could ship it before the 2017 deadline. I was so lucky that my guitar left Canada and cleared customs by the last week of December 2016.
2010 Kala KA-CGE Concert Uke'
2013 Robert England "Hauser Inspired" /Spruce Top
2014 Fender USA Nitro Strat
2016 Robert England "FE-17" /Spruce Top

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Uriel Garcia wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:33 pm
This is the exact same scenario I was looking to avoid. Around September of 2016, ordered a Classical Guitar from Robert England who is based out of Canada. Sometime in early December of 2016 the news broke out about all Rosewood falling into the purview of CITES starting Jan 2nd 2017. Robert had to hurry up and finish the guitar so that that he could ship it before the 2017 deadline. I was so lucky that my guitar left Canada and cleared customs by the last week of December 2016.
That's pretty quick delivery! Hopefully there was enough time for the finish to cure.

For a guitar coming from Canada, the potential dissolution or rework of NAFTA could be a bigger concern than CITES. If everything goes smoothly then CITES is just a little bit of paperwork, under 100 bucks in processing fees, and a bit of wait time. But for a commissioned build couldn't the luthier apply for the certificate in advance of the guitar being completed so the wait time is no longer much of a factor?

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm

I'm glad this had a happy ending !!!

I have been burned so many times by UPS, FedEX, and DHL. I only ship USPS now, whenever possible. They have never screwed it up. And the few times there have been problems, there is a neighborhood post office staffed with people who have been in my community for years. I know them, and they know me. Problems get fixed fast.

Shipping is their primary function. When they can't get that right they should be show high customer service. But the opposite is true. They do anything and everything except fix the problem. In my case, my trust in the "big boys" has been destroyed.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Bernabe

Post by Bernabe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 pm

its getting very difficult to travel with cites guitars, why dont we ask a certain guitar on the location of the concert?

Return to “The Café”